Popular Tags: [View All]
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
zeromaker wrote:
So I have been playing a lot of Dungeon Venture recently(it is a light little dungeon game. My young sons LOVE IT!!). I like it. But there is one thing I think it does really well.

Initiative.

It is a deck of cards. Every hero, boss, and monster type has a card. You shuffle them together depending on who/what is on the board. Draw the top card and that character or all of that monster type goes. When a character or monster type leaves the board, their card leaves the deck.

I think it is genius. It adds some real tension to the game. We are never sure who is going first. Will the boss go and kill my character? Will I get the chance to heal before he kills me? It is great!

I have played Warhammer Quest, so I am familiar with how Darklight will work. There is less tension knowing the heroes always go first, so we can heal or wipe out half the enemies before they ever get to attack. The deck, man that thing makes me sweat.

What does anyone else think about this? Thought, please.

I just want to point out before the conversation begins, Darklight actually uses Initiative scores.

What this means is that every character in game has a place and turn withim the round. The Crawlers for instance are the fastest creature so far and they will always go first, while the Colossal Dreadworm has 2 which means it will always go last.

New monsters can join the combat at any time and you will never know at what chronological point of the turn they will be placed.

Players have ways of raising their initiative scores by buying things like torches and lanterns.

If 2 Accursed shares the same Initiative they can decide between themselves who goes first and that is a great advantage in certain situations while if a monster and an Accursed share initiative values, Accursed always goes first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian m
United States
flag msg tools
mb
blushblushblush

. . . and I even looked up the rules again before I posted. Dang. Well I feel stupid. Thanks for setting me straight, Mauro.

Mauro, had you ever thought about a card system? How did you decide on the numbered initiative system you are using?

P.S. Loved the update. I eat up maps. Please post anything and everything you can. Even napkin scrawls!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
zeromaker wrote:
blushblushblush

. . . and I even looked up the rules again before I posted. Dang. Well I feel stupid. Thanks for setting me straight, Mauro.

Mauro, had you ever thought about a card system? How did you decide on the numbered initiative system you are using?

P.S. Loved the update. I eat up maps. Please post anything and everything you can. Even napkin scrawls!

No worries!

Yes, originally I had experimented with a system that would make initiative easy to track with cards but as you already might now, the game has already hundreds of cards, and we have done everything we could (and still trying) to reduce the number and general clutter.

Thanks! Always love when hard work is appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.