Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
F*** trees
mbmbmbmb
Turned this

into this

four characters from the starter set we used in Rise of the goblins (digital)

I'm a stationery nerd even more than a BG nerd, but have no experience with graphic design, so I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. I feel much more attached to the characters having picked out art for them and PUTTING ON STICKERS when they get XP.

I used inkscape, and have uploaded both the .pngs and .svgs into the files section in case anyone wants to tweak or use.

custom characters (+ class combos) we currently use for Kindred Fire (printed on card! with stickers!)
left too much white around the edge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A cool but very limiting idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kolodji
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I'm fine with the clutter of equipment and class cards. Your way would be too small and crammed together for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for personalizing your gaming expirience, especially if it helps you to enjoy the game.

I have a few questions though:
-) Did you make the paper textures yourself? I was looking for some good old paper textures or a tutorial how to make them for a long time.

-) How do you exhaust cards with this kind of layout?

All in all I prefer the "cluttered" version, since you won't have more than 4 skills at the end of a campaign most of the time, so no need to get distracted with all the text of all your 8 class cards all the time, but like I said, to each his own.

and thx for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
F*** trees
mbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
I'm all for personalizing your gaming expirience, especially if it helps you to enjoy the game.

I have a few questions though:
-) Did you make the paper textures yourself? I was looking for some good old paper textures or a tutorial how to make them for a long time.

-) How do you exhaust cards with this kind of layout?

All in all I prefer the "cluttered" version, since you won't have more than 4 skills at the end of a campaign most of the time, so no need to get distracted with all the text of all your 8 class cards all the time, but like I said, to each his own.

and thx for sharing.

1) I didn't - here are the images I used if you want them:
http://pre07.deviantart.net/da18/th/pre/i/2011/108/5/3/old_p...
http://cdn.tripwiremagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/i...
http://cliparts.co/cliparts/pi7/Kjy/pi7Kjyk5T.png

2) I drop a fatigue token on the skill/item, etc.

Re: it being 'cramped': that was actually the main motivation for making these - my boyfriend/partner in 2 player co-op games against Road to Legend couldn't grok/keep track of all the options available to him with them spread out over a bigger surface area. Consequently he forgot to use a lot of skills/item abilities. I struggled with it too - I'm always so intrigued by people (the vast majority it seems) who find lots of tiny cards or tokens easier or more convenient than paper and pencils. I do whatever I can to have less on the table and more information in an easily searchable place.

EDIT: Also, 4 skills seems like not very many to me, but hey.

Initially I wanted to sort the skills out by when they would be relevant to use, i.e.: "these are actions I can take", "these are reactions to certain conditions", "these are passive buffs", etc., but the amount of text per class varied way too much to keep that AND cut down on table space. For the table space/keeping track reason, I'd never go back to using hero sheets, etc., but it does require time and forethought/loses spontaneity/modularity, and having organized them like that would have undoubtedly been better. Still pretty pleased tho.

EDIT EDIT: the .pngs are up now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice graphics on these, but you've actually managed to make things even more cluttered than they would've been during actual gameplay blush. You don't actually play with your entire class deck in front of you, you start with just 1 skill and 1 or 2 items max, then you slowly build up one skill/item at a time, allowing you to slowly get accustomed to your new cards over time.

Now instead of just having the relevant skill cards in front of you and slowly ramping up through the campaign, players have to have ALL their class cards in front of them from the first mission, and it's all crammed into a small space, partially obscured by a sticker since there's almost no space between each skill, with hard to see borders between each skill that makes the whole thing just look like a wall of text. The irregular dashed borders makes it difficult to scan the block of text for the skill you're looking for.

And you still have to deal with cards anyway because of item cards! cry. So you haven't actually solved the problem you thought you needed to fix. And as others have pointed out, you are effectively implementing a house rule here that forces players to use a certain class deck with a certain hero, which is something I can sort of get behind until you introduce expansions, but it's important to note since you're now changing the rules and not just the aesthetics. Also you stated that you feel more connected to the characters after choosing new art for them that doesn't match their model, but will your other players that aren't you and didn't choose those images feel the same way I wonder?

I really love homebrew stuff like this, and I think these cards are very pretty, and I think if they work for you and your partner that's great, but can't say I would want to use them myself, for the reasons stated above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hoffman
United Kingdom
Abbey Wood
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're wonderful - love the art you've chosen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the layout looks ok.but,to me the art work just doesn't have a Dungeon crawl heroe feel.looks too clean! prefer the original artwork although if I had a choice.i would have used the art from the first version of descent.
good job.but just not for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.