Subject: Male Pinups rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hey folks,

I know there are male pinups in the works.

A while back I had read some info about the artist Poots brought in to do the designs, but I can't remember what her name is & I can't find the article discussing her work. Anyone recall this info? I know She has a site showing her artwork.

Not sure if they are making random 'sexy dudes' for these, or if they are doing male versions of the female pinups.

I'd find it pretty cool if we could have male pinups of the armour sets. Plus some of the other ones like Twilight Knight & Satan.

Of course, entirely unique designs would also be nice.

Anyone remember the artist?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Sorry, no info on the artist, but a thought in this did occur to me:

The gencon figure with the twilight thong...for the male pin-up, would it be the twilight briefs?

The image is quite hilarious for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For someone new to the game, what are pin ups?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clwe
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
rnickster86 wrote:

You don't know!? surprise It's when you chop the head off a wolf and, quite literally, 'pin it up' on the wall. Some people were complaining that there were far too many female wolves subjected to this, and the RSPCA in particular had a field day...

...no, it's no good - I can't keep this up anymore. Please don't take this the wrong way Nick, but that was an amusingly naive response (it's, uh, not a game mechanic - try a google image search)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevenson Junior
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rnickster86 wrote:

Expensive models that used to have no special rules, but were sought out due to unique or interesting looks.
Many pin ups are of comparative size to Survivors, therefore some of us, me including, are using them as Survivors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuki Fino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rnickster86 wrote:

In a broader context: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin-up_model

In a KD:M context, they're more akin to "cheesecake" models. Basically models of "sexy" girls (skimpy clothes, exaggerated proportions) that aren't canon (ie. aren't official game models, just artistic license). They're usually produced as sexy versions of official game models.

For example, there's a Twilight Knight:

and a pinup twilight night:

A Savior:

And a pinup savior:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
StevensonJunior wrote:

Expensive models that used to have no special rules, but were sought out due to unique or interesting looks.

The Pinups are more expensive than other minis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John di Battista
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
Not just the pinups. Any of the single figures tend to be more expensive than the others. Both the armor kits and the single small base figs cost ~$25, but the armor kits can make 4 figures and have plenty of bits left over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Are the pinups generally resin or do they make them in plastic also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right thanks, I know what a pin up model is but just wanted to know what it meant in the context of the game as I've seen them mentioned a few times. Overly sexualised exclusive models are not something I will be interested in when the re print comes around so I know now to ignore them. Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever floats your boat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
The pinups were a fundraising tool Poots used to keep the project going during the original kickstarter, I believe. The have no content, though a few older models were re-released at Gen Con this year that now have content.

Iirc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
rnickster86 wrote:
Overly sexualised exclusive models are not something I will be interested in when the re print comes around so I know now to ignore them. Thanks guys.

They are not something I will be delving into too deeply, but I'll buy a few of the cooler looking ones like a White Speaker & Phoenix Dancer.

Not sure if she is considered a pinup, but I still want to get Candy & Cola! I like the minis that have the 'beta games' (or whatever they were called) on the KDM website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the Flower Witch Disciples were a good step towards male pinup style.

Of course, I thought he kind of looks like Serpico from Berserk but what do I know?

Personally, I really REALLY like the character class figures.

I don't know if they are technically pinups, or if they even really fit in the KD world, but they all have just enough cheesecake as well as enough attitude to pull off their ideas well.

The Blade of the Immortal inspired Fighter is my favorite.

A scantily or suggestively dressed male version would be something interesting to paint!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get the fighter reference, do you have a pic of what it's referencing?

re: pinups... yeah... IDK, I'm not a huge fan. I got the kits because they're more dynamic/more variety, but I've been giving them real clothes and weapons. Some are fine, but a lot I think went too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit off topic, but the fighter's blurb on the site (which I can't seem to find now) mentions how she is basically immortal with worms having replaced her blood that knit her body back together again after battle (and are also modeled on her base).

So she gleefully sends herself into battle always looking for stronger opponents to face.

That's basically Manji's whole schtick in the Blade of the Immortal manga.

Wouldn't be the first time Poots has tossed some homages from Japanese media into the line...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ぶる ぶるっ
msg tools
Night fell and the hours dragged on, but still we murmured to each other of the King and the Pallid Mask, and midnight sounded from the misty spires in the fog-wrapped city.
badge
We spoke of Hastur and of Cassilda, while outside the fog rolled against the blank window-panes as the cloud waves roll and break on the shores of Hali.
mbmbmbmbmb
illiterate bookworm wrote:
A bit off topic, but the fighter's blurb on the site (which I can't seem to find now) mentions how she is basically immortal with worms having replaced her blood that knit her body back together again after battle (and are also modeled on her base).

So she gleefully sends herself into battle always looking for stronger opponents to face.

That's basically Manji's whole schtick in the Blade of the Immortal manga.

Wouldn't be the first time Poots has tossed some homages from Japanese media into the line...

That's really cool. Not really relevant but cool and worth noting; early in the manga Manji complains that becoming effectively immortal has made his sword work sloppy as he's now less averse to losing limbs etc.in a fight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Well, the male pinups are a reality.

And the answer to the OP (male pinup artist) is hamletmachine, a female Yaoi artist (If I read that right):
http://hamletmachine.tumblr.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit, while I'm not a fan of pinup models, I'm impressed by how the male pinups are sexualised; it's very similar to the female ones (they're not just buff guys in leather shorts), which looks actively weird because it's not something you ever really see.

As someone who was always a bit uncomfortable with the pinups as part of general sexism in miniatures (not a debate I'd like to restart here), the male pinups are pretty much the same. So that's good, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheEremite wrote:
I have to admit, while I'm not a fan of pinup models, I'm impressed by how the male pinups are sexualised; it's very similar to the female ones (they're not just buff guys in leather shorts), which looks actively weird because it's not something you ever really see.

As someone who was always a bit uncomfortable with the pinups as part of general sexism in miniatures (not a debate I'd like to restart here), the male pinups are pretty much the same. So that's good, I think.

It's interesting, for sure. The male pinups are sexualized, but they are also very "feminized." As with the female pinups, they seem designed to appeal primarily to males, so I'm not sure the goal was met (if the goal was equality/balancing of the scales). I showed them to my wife, admittedly not a representative sample, and she did not find them appealing.

I hesitate to post this, because the subject is so divisive, but it's kind of a fascinating twist on the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
DavidT wrote:
TheEremite wrote:

It's interesting, for sure. The male pinups are sexualized, but they are also very "feminized." As with the female pinups, they seem designed to appeal primarily to males, so I'm not sure the goal was met

Primarily to appeal to males? No.
I think they're perfectly designed to appeal to straight females and homosexual males as much as a piece of plastic can. I've show this to few and definitely got a positive response.

Edit: for those that get lost in the details, yes I believe sexual orientation will carry weight in this sort of conversation where sexualization of something is involved.

Personally I find nothing wrong with the new pinups, their design is very nice, does it appeal to me same way it does to my wife, definitely not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:

It's interesting, for sure. The male pinups are sexualized, but they are also very "feminized." As with the female pinups, they seem designed to appeal primarily to males, so I'm not sure the goal was met (if the goal was equality/balancing of the scales). I showed them to my wife, admittedly not a representative sample, and she did not find them appealing.

This is not surprisings as all attempts to "balance" this sort of sexualization are doomed to fail from the start. As a wildlife ecologist, I look at this more clinically and without all the "moral baggage of the day". It's a simple fact that males respond more strongly to visual cues on sex since our contribution to the act is quick and costs us little. So seeing a "sexy" mini gives us a little positive jolt in our primitive brain. Whereas the female contribution to procreation is incredibly long and costly, so her decisions are based upon a wide range of factors--her response to visual cues is much, much smaller than ours. (Yes, there is a wide range of variation in this, but this is based on the typical male and female individual.) This is why the "Hawkeye Initiate" in comics was a fail. Sexy Hawkeye isn't appealing to males OR females, so the false equivalency is made that sexy females in comics must be silly and pointless, too. Kind of similar situation here, except game devs are trying to appeal to the growing PC culture in board games. So expect male pinups to appeal to the morality of the day, but it will have little balancing appeal to female gamers. I hope someday we get past this and just recognize that males and females process their environment differently and yet both are still equal.

If this sounds completely wrong to anyone, just take a look around at all the visually-oriented sexually stimulating products/services aimed at males vs females. There is no comparison. Women can't be wooed with a picture. It takes much more than that. And that doesn't make them superior or more evolved--it just makes them different. And that difference is fully justified and explained by our biology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
Esplugues de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So males = horny dogs. Got it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Mancha wrote:
So males = horny dogs. Got it

Heh. More like males are dogs and females are cats. And since cats are one of the few mammals without a taste receptor for "sweet", they try to convince dogs that sweet snacks are bad/inferior/wrong/etc because cats don't like them, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emmit svenson wrote:
japester1 wrote:
As a wildlife ecologist

Ugh, biological determinism.

I mean, it makes sense that a Wildlife Ecologist would support biological determinism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.