12 Posts

Captain Sonar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing, initiative and Stalemate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the following situation almost come up in our first game on captain sonar (love the game btw).

We both had two lives left and knew exactly where the other sub was. We had some breakdown on the ship (torpedos online) and could not really sail away from each other.

Whenever someone moved within range of the other, the winner would be whoever fired first. Since the team moving would have to charge a system first and mark a breakdown it would be the opponent who could fire first.

So this could lead to a stale mate situation where none of the teams want to do anything. Would it be reasonable to call the game a draw here?

We also want to ask about initiative. After a player has activated a system, can they active another immediately after? Or does "initiative pass to the other team"? Would it be ok to use for example torpedo silence or would the opposing team have a chance to torpedo in between?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohan Lemonnier
France
flag msg tools
Hi Christian.
Were you playing turn by tirn or simultenously ?
If you play turn by turn, each turn, each team MUST move, and CAN activate 1 system.
In real time mode, there is no initiative, BUT a captain, MUST move at least once between two system activations.

Thanx for playing our game.
:0)

Lt Lemonnier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simultanious. Oh I missed the rules that a captain must move at leasr once between the activation.

So if team A activates torpedo, can team B activate their torpedo before team A moves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I think I missed that too -- where you cant activate two systems in a row without a move. I guess that doesn't really apply for mines that were already placed?

As far as your example -- I would say Team B can easily activate their torpedo assuming they called STOP prior to team A saying HEAD XXXX

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bernard
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scandale wrote:
In real time mode, there is no initiative, BUT a captain, MUST move at least once between two system activations.

Is this actually in the rules or is this a house rule? I also did not see this in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Earl of Dukes wrote:
scandale wrote:

Is this actually in the rules or is this a house rule? I also did not see this in the rules.

He is billed as designer so.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yein
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Earl of Dukes wrote:
scandale wrote:

He is billed as designer so.....

True... but I went through the entire rulebook and that rule was not in it. So it is essentially an amended rule from the designer. I was looking for something like that because we won 2 games by activating mines and torpedo back to back.

SO this bring up another question, can you immediately detonate a mine right after you deploy it? or do you have to move at least once before you can?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Understood. I'd like to know too as we played/demoed a lot of this at GenCon and we played you can do it all back to back. Not only torpedo/mine combo but also the sonar/drone combo.

My comment was more in regards to it being a "houserule" since it is coming from the designer. Never saw mention of it in the rules unless it was being very literal on move, action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingD21 wrote:
Man, I think I missed that too -- where you cant activate two systems in a row without a move. I guess that doesn't really apply for mines that were already placed?

I wonder if exploding mines ought to be considered an activation also, i.e., Move => Set Mine => Move => Explode Mine. Play has to be stopped twice, after all. Thoughts from the designer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yein
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May have to start another thread to get this clarified. Was hoping to have it all sorted before I brought it back on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
In case it was missed, sounds like they are aware this rule is missing from the English language translation.

Quote:

In real-time Captain Sonar, do you really need to move in the middle of two systems activations, or may you activate a system immediately followed by another system?
YES, you HAVE to made one move at minimum between 2 systems activations.

Also, may you detonate a mine immediately after using a system, or do you need to move in the middle of activating a system and finding a mine?
You also HAVE to made at minimum ONE move between it.
And to detonate a mine you also need to have ALL the red "lights" clear in the Engine room :o)

Can you detonate a mine immediately after dropping the mine?
NO you can't. You have to made ONE MOVE.

We know the English version of the rules are not so clear on this points. But, with MATAGOT we will made these changes for the next US print in september 2016.

Your comments are very clear :o)

Captain Roberto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono D
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What is the etiquette in resuming? Is it like the initial dive where both Captains say 'Resume' or do you just start playing straight away after a system activation has been resolved?

Also are there any penalties for incorrectly stopping play to activate a system they cannot or illegally moving?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.