Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Those Wily Aedui rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played three brilliant games of the 54BC scenario so far, each one totally different in the way it unfolded except for one small detail.

Those pesky Aedui won every time!

I play the Romans solo against myself running all other factions, so no bots yet. And while the Aeverni bash themselves against the Romans to clear away their legions, and the Belgae hold on for dear life until that happens, the Aedui are left to their lonesome until, almost on the last card before a Winter Phase, they sneak some Allies in for a win.

IMO the Aedui by far have the easiest victory conditions to manage. So fearing spoilers for any players who hate strategy threads, I’d love to hear anyone’s ideas on this.

What factions have you played and won with to date?

IMO - Aedui’s Suborn is just so damned powerful. It should be called “Spawn”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Imho, roman and aedui diplomacy is the most delicate subject.

From the roman viewpoint, aedui can hurt greatly with a timely supply lane negation, but the option of maintain the line open yourself eats a lot of manpower and can easily impair your ability to manage the other gauls, belgae specially. Also they can run out of control quite easily if unchecked, so you need them to feel threatened and able to work as an effective strategic rear at the same time.

So hurting them yourself is risky and not helping them when they need it is risky too. There is a lot of meta involved here that solo play may not catch correctly, but i think that a rule of thumb is to try to manage the board so that the aedui are contained in one or two useful chokepoints, but unable to advance further and motivated to move into other factions territories. Where do you choose to hit the Arverni is important here, also which tribes you choose to disperse and how you manage belgae expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing a PBEM right now as the Aedui, and I'm not sure how I'm going to pull it off....

What I see as a disadvantage is that everyone can rally a lot better than I can. Arverni have a bagillion more warbands than me, and they can squash me like a bug if they really wanted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
I'm playing a PBEM right now as the Aedui, and I'm not sure how I'm going to pull it off....

What I see as a disadvantage is that everyone can rally a lot better than I can. Arverni have a bagillion more warbands than me, and they can squash me like a bug if they really wanted to.

I hope still today I will be able to post my second session report from game where I played Aedui. Just have a look how they are winning...

Not the numbers, but special abilities, plenty of resources, avoiding "hote provinces", and you can win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my board state. I'm seeing a very difficult path to victory due to the Romans not being in a good position to smash the Arverni.

Disclaimer: I am not soliciting strategy advice, as I think that would be unethical for a PBEM. This is just for discussion purposes only. I don't want any accusations of cheating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Suborn makes up for that. Which means you have to make sure you have the cash on hand to do it repeatedly, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mk20336 wrote:

I hope still today I will be able to post my second session report from game where I played Aedui. Just have a look how they are winning...

Not the numbers, but special abilities, plenty of resources, avoiding "hote provinces", and you can win!

And here it is:
"My second real play - 52 BC scenario"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
demoss1 wrote:

Suborn makes up for that. Which means you have to make sure you have the cash on hand to do it repeatedly, of course.

Entreat > Suborn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amaranth wrote:
demoss1 wrote:

Entreat > Suborn.

I'm not convinced of that. Entreat requires Vercingetorix's presence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
demoss1 wrote:
Amaranth wrote:

Entreat > Suborn.

I'm not convinced of that. Entreat requires Vercingetorix's presence.

His proximity suffices, which means you can potentially gain a lot of Allies in one go. In my last game of Falling Sky, the Arverni were able to steal 4 Allies with a single Entreat, which basically knocked the Aedui out of contention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Arverni have to be able to maintain Control to Entreat Tribes, though, while Suborn has no such restriction. I would think that rather hard to pull off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
demoss1 wrote:
The Arverni have to be able to maintain Control to Entreat Tribes, though, while Suborn has no such restriction. I would think that rather hard to pull off.

The Arverni can have nearly twice as many Warbands as the Aedui have. If the Romans haven't been beating the absolute tar out of them, they have no trouble controlling everywhere there are Aedui Allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amaranth wrote:
demoss1 wrote:

The Arverni can have nearly twice as many Warbands as the Aedui have. If the Romans haven't beating the absolute tar out of them, they have no trouble controlling everywhere there are Aedui Allies.

That is definitely the problem I am having in my game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They can control lots of areas briefly, sure. But usually they won't get two actions without the Aedui getting to act in between, and all sorts of possible actions could adjust things (including abandoning one area to concentrate in others via March, more Rally/Suborn, and a number of possible events). And the Arverni are a lot more likely to have the Romans to worry about in the meantime, as well as more pressure on their pocketbook typically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all really interesting. Thing is this is how I see it:

The Averni fighting the Aedui won't win the Averni the game. They both need to place Allies and remove Roman legions. Defeating the Aedui serves the first purpose but at what cost to the second if the Romans are building forts to shore themselves up?

Now the Romans have an interest in taking out the Averni and Belgae purely to subdue their towns. That's how they win, so Battle becomes an adjunct of that. And in this game whoever gets to Battle first has a huge advantage.

In the meantime, the Aedui just keep out of trouble. Supporting Roman Marches and Rallies when it suits them and picking up Allies in between. Their biggest issue is the limited number of Allies and Citadels they have. So helping Rome keep a lid on other Faction expansion is what they're after.

As for the Belgae, well, starting in 54BC they're really under the pump. Survival is their biggest worry I've found. But the cards can come to their rescue and Ambriox's power in Battle is sublime.

And this is why I think I've found the wily Aedui sneaking in wins. Suborn spawns them and once the Averni March north to fight the legions, they free up a lot of territory down south for capture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kovach
msg tools
I have been playing solo with the Romans and Aedui generally in alliance. In my first games the Aedui would come out with a surprise win while Rome was fighting it out with the Averni. If the Aedui are in battles I do not think I am playing them right. I gather enough to March and suborn. Getting the raid card for 3 resources is very helpful. It is a tough balance for Rome to take out the Belgae while the Aedui keep the Averni busy. In the mean time the Germans usually jump in to spoil my plans. After 8 games I have finally got the Romans winning in 54BC. AArgh so many options, so little time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They won again! Third Winter and with Ambiorix and 1 Warband left, Caesar dead and every Roman Legion fallen, and Averni with 6 Allies only - the Aedui win with 5 Allies and 2 Citidels, every Aedui Warband on the field.

They just can't be left alone. But who will fight them early on?

I think it's time to read Volko's strategy notes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like keeping the Aedui down is everybody's responsibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
demoss1 wrote:
They can control lots of areas briefly, sure. But usually they won't get two actions without the Aedui getting to act in between, and all sorts of possible actions could adjust things (including abandoning one area to concentrate in others via March, more Rally/Suborn, and a number of possible events). And the Arverni are a lot more likely to have the Romans to worry about in the meantime, as well as more pressure on their pocketbook typically.

I don't know what you mean by two actions. March + Entreat is one action. They don't have to follow it up with Raid + Entreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5th game currently underway is going unbelievably chaotically! The third Winter just passed and the Belgae having lost every Warband and its leader at one point have managed to rally back and with the help of a card amass a massive army in the Veneti Region with Home-rallied bands still heckling a once exuberant Rome in the Belgic Regions themselves.

Aedui has been under the pump from Germanic Warbands all through the second year while Averni was able to build two equally massive armies to scare all in the south.

But Winter has now created a new picture with 4 Romsn Legions and Caesar set to move out of Provincia and threaten the Averni. This is an interesting game.

And certainly the most played COIN game I've ever owned. Addictive is the word
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too cool. The Aedui lost from a tie for 1st on the final Winter losing a Citidel right before.

Rome: -1
Averni: -2
Aedui: -2
Belgae: -6

The Belgae came from nothing to the faction with the most populous Allies on the board (5) and the second largest faction with 14 Warbands - Ambiorix returning to life via a card play.

Yes, way too cool this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
It sounds like keeping the Aedui down is everybody's responsibility.

Great discussion all around.

The above is true. The Aedui will sneak in wins -- until everyone realizes how crafty they are, and what a threat to everyone their Suborning really is.

This means that the Arverni should never forget who their ancient enemies in Gaul are, even while fighting the foreigners.

This means that the other Gauls should be whispering to Caesar that his little blue friends are getting strong enough to undermine his own rule of Gaul.

This means Caesar must constantly weigh the delicate question of when the time has come to trim back Aedui ambitions -- and then relent and hope to retain their pragmatic alliance.

And it means that the Aedui must realize that, in almost all cases, they really do need Caesar to smash the Arverni and Belgic tribes. It may not be wise to threaten his dominion too early -- or to hold a grudge if he does feel the need now and then to remind you that Rome is in charge here. Diplomatic sands will shift again, so stay nimble.

Enjoy! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shonai Dweller
Japan
flag msg tools
Beaten by the Aedui bot yet again. Got right the way through to the final year of Pax Gallica? this time. Thought I was doing well until they snuck in right at the end. Stepping back a couple of turns to see if there was anything I could have done and I realised I'd been duped by a secret Aedui-Belgae bot deal. In the final couple of turns there wasn't much I could have done to prevent either winning. I knew they were up to something crafty when they quietly took over Germania...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shonai_Dweller wrote:
Beaten by the Aedui bot yet again. Got right the way through to the final year of Pax Gallica? this time. Thought I was doing well until they snuck in right at the end. Stepping back a couple of turns to see if there was anything I could have done and I realised I'd been duped by a secret Aedui-Belgae bot deal. In the final couple of turns there wasn't much I could have done to prevent either winning. I knew they were up to something crafty when they quietly took over Germania...

This post made me smile... Darn those bots and their crafty deals anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS Bourget
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
It seems to me that all the other factions have the power to limit their capability, as suborn requires at least one hidden warband.

Rampage, Scout and Entreat can be the answer to infiltrations of hidden Aedui warbands and contrary to suborn, they may be used more than once in a single turn; battles, with or without Ambush are sometimes worth to be fought simply to reveal all Aedui warbands there (or have them retreat ) , even if unsignificant or unfavourable on a military level.

I suppose that the Arverni should also usually devastate Aedui land so that suborn would become the only option for the Aedui to rally (beside the fact that it also hurts the Romans).

Aedui and Romans must really cooperate while Arverni and Belgic can possibly ignore each other; it seems easy for the Aedui to follow the Romans and benefit from their conquests, but weakening the Romans leads to weaken the Aedui.

As you can guess, I didn't lead them to victory so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.