Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that this is the umpteenth time that this kind of question comes up - but to me it is one of the last doubts remaining.

In Passage Through Mirkwood (a seldom played, almost unknown quest) I have an exhausted Eowyn among my heroes (who hasn't?) and Strenght of Will in hand.

Can I travel to Old Forest Road, ready Eowyn, and then play at once Strenght of Will?

I have this doubt because in the classic opening "Aragorn and Theodred commit to a quest --> Theodred throws a resource to Aragorn --> Aragorn readies" all the character are committed simultaneously to a quest.

Instead, in my case playing Strenght of Will after Eowyn readies does seem to be a "Response to a Response". I.e. Eowyn readies - correctly - after traveling, but Strenght of Will can only be played after Eowyn's reaction, and thus the two things are not simultaneous (being the event subjected to Eowyn first readying - and thus being a response to the trigger "a character readies", and not to traveling).

To be even more clear, should Eowyn (or any other Spirit character) be ready during the Travel Phase, I wouldn't have any problem. You go to Old Forest Road, ready another character (if any) and then exhaust Eowyn to play Strenght of Will: having Eowyn ready makes the two things happen simultaneously (or you wouldn't be able to play Strenght of Will ever )

Sorry for the rambling, but I searched around and I wasn't able to find an answer. More importantly, I feel that if I correctly understand this part of the game sequence then I'll be able to answer a lot of other doubts that could come up in the future.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still fairly new to the game, but I'd interpret it as follows: Both cards read, "After you travel to...", which is their response-trigger. So I'd say they trigger simultaneously. In which case, as with Aragorn and Theodred committing to a quest, the first player gets to decide the order in which they trigger.

Edit: See also this entry in the FAQ:

Quote:
(1.02) Simultaneous Effect Timing
If two or more conflicting effects would occur
simultaneously, the first player decides the order in
which the effects resolve.
Example: Tom plays Sneak Attack (CORE 23) to
put Beorn (CORE 31) into play during the combat
phase. Sneak Effect has the condition, “At the end of
the phase, if that ally is still in play, return it to your
hand.” During combat, Tom uses Beorn’s triggered
effect, which has the condition, “At the end of the
phase in which you trigger this effect, shuffle Beorn
back into your deck.” At the end of the phase, a
situation arises in which two conflicting effects are
attempting to resolve simultaneously on Beorn. The
first player determines which of the two effects resolves
first. (The second effect no longer applies when Beorn
leaves play.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hugolefou wrote:
I'm still fairly new to the game, but I'd interpret it as follows: Both cards read, "After you travel to...", which is their response-trigger. So I'd say they trigger simultaneously. In which case, as with Aragorn and Theodred committing to a quest, the first player gets to decide the order in which they trigger.

Edit: See also this entry in the FAQ:

Quote:
(1.02) Simultaneous Effect Timing
If two or more conflicting effects would occur
simultaneously, the first player decides the order in
which the effects resolve.
Example: Tom plays Sneak Attack (CORE 23) to
put Beorn (CORE 31) into play during the combat
phase. Sneak Effect has the condition, “At the end of
the phase, if that ally is still in play, return it to your
hand.” During combat, Tom uses Beorn’s triggered
effect, which has the condition, “At the end of the
phase in which you trigger this effect, shuffle Beorn
back into your deck.” At the end of the phase, a
situation arises in which two conflicting effects are
attempting to resolve simultaneously on Beorn. The
first player determines which of the two effects resolves
first. (The second effect no longer applies when Beorn
leaves play.)

I think that your answer is correct. It also makes sense in the context of the game-flow.

I played the cards as suggested - only to be kicked into next week anyway by the quest thanks to a streak of "gold ring" Encounter Cards coming up one after the other (the first being the hated "Caught in a Web", then the Orc Chief, then Necromancer's Reach, then Ungoliant's Spawn herself...) Ah, well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoyan Taskonidis
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(1.37) Timing of effect resolution
When resolving multiple effects with a shared
condition, players should use this order of resolution:
passive abilities first, Forced effects second, Response
actions third. When determining the order of effect
resolution among abilities within those categories,
players should first resolve abilities that use the word
“when” and then resolve abilities with the word “after”.

In your case both are "response", so you may decide which will resolve first. But don't forget the order of resolving:
1. Passive abilities
2. Forced effects
3. Response actions
This is very crucial in this game.

Also, be aware that for example If Strength of Will had the text When you travel, instead of After you travel, it had to resolve before old forest road.

Hope this will be useful for some future (a lot) more complicated situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Losing to Passage Through Mirkwood is harsh... that must have been quite some bad luck there.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.