Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
So we played our first game last night. Loved it. We won by virtue of Rita being able to run like hell!

But how much replayability is in the scenarios? Is Vanderbilt always the antagonist? When you first talk to the butler he says that Vanderbilt was kidnapped, which made me wonder if there are other outcomes.

Is the ritual always in the attic? Are all the items like the urn in the secret study the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
Just from the information that you've provided about certain events I can confirm that it isn't the same every time, although for the sake of spoilers I won't say what differed in my game from yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanderbilt will always be the antagonist as far as I know. However, the stiry leading up to it may vary. Also, the layout of the mansion may be different. Items will lie in different places, monsters will be different etc. There is quite some replayability in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the 1st scenario 4 times now, and while the general plot is the same, the particulars varied greatly, so much that I want to play this same scenario a few more times. Here are some of the variations without spoiling much:

- Different tile layouts: Even with only the base set, we've seen two different tile layouts and heard reports of at least one other (outdoor tiles). Once we added in the 1st Ed tiles, the tiles were almost 100% different.

- Different speeds: each play through we've alternated how fast we went through the house. Either rush to where we thought the objective was, or check out the noise in the side room. Sometimes we searched everything (and that ended up taking too long so it was difficult to win), sometimes just the bare minimum.

- NPC Interactions: Wasn't until our third playthrough that we realized that the NPCs can be interacted with, and even then when they move around (as controlled by the app), you can interact with them multiple times and receive new information and sometimes even new items.

- Different Monsters: Not much of an affect on the game, but it was nice to see a variety of monsters appearing, especially after mixing in the 1st Ed components.

- Different Explorations: Similar to "different speeds" but we noticed some rooms just don't need to be explored, so in one replay, we tried the other rooms we didn't get to.

- Different Investigators: This changed the difficulties more than anything (some investigators are better suited for some missions), but it was also kind of cool to see Investigator-specific Mythos Events.

All of those added up to a totally different (and entertaining) narrative for the game with each play through. And it's that narrative that we were really hoping to get out of Mansions of Madness (even from 1st Ed). The story of the game is much more important to our group than the mechanics of the game (yes, Ameritrash through and through). And while we have good imaginations, it's just down right awesome that this game is really good at adding a unique story every time we play.

With that in mind, I forsee many hours of enjoyment with every single mission, and can't wait to see more.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ema Nymton
msg tools
We have played the first scenario twice now with only the core set and both times we had a significantly different experience.

The first 3 rooms (basically the setup plus one) were exactly the same, but after that things changed considerably.
Key story items remained the same but they were in different rooms.
A completely different set of discoverable items.
Some of the rooms changed from the large square tiles to two rectangular tiles, and vice verse, that was quite effective.
The spawning monsters changed (unless plot relevant).
There was even a new event/puzzle that occurred.
In addition, the way the game affected us overall was different, our first play through seemed to deal a lot of physical damage, whereas our second was more horror/sanity based. (Of course this may be down to a differing character selection and the way the mythos rounds occurred).

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
shnar wrote:
I've played the 1st scenario 4 times now, and while the general plot is the same, the particulars varied greatly, so much that I want to play this same scenario a few more times. Here are some of the variations without spoiling much:

- Different tile layouts: Even with only the base set, we've seen two different tile layouts and heard reports of at least one other (outdoor tiles). Once we added in the 1st Ed tiles, the tiles were almost 100% different.

- Different speeds: each play through we've alternated how fast we went through the house. Either rush to where we thought the objective was, or check out the noise in the side room. Sometimes we searched everything (and that ended up taking too long so it was difficult to win), sometimes just the bare minimum.

- NPC Interactions: Wasn't until our third playthrough that we realized that the NPCs can be interacted with, and even then when they move around (as controlled by the app), you can interact with them multiple times and receive new information and sometimes even new items.

- Different Monsters: Not much of an affect on the game, but it was nice to see a variety of monsters appearing, especially after mixing in the 1st Ed components.

- Different Explorations: Similar to "different speeds" but we noticed some rooms just don't need to be explored, so in one replay, we tried the other rooms we didn't get to.

- Different Investigators: This changed the difficulties more than anything (some investigators are better suited for some missions), but it was also kind of cool to see Investigator-specific Mythos Events.

All of those added up to a totally different (and entertaining) narrative for the game with each play through. And it's that narrative that we were really hoping to get out of Mansions of Madness (even from 1st Ed). The story of the game is much more important to our group than the mechanics of the game (yes, Ameritrash through and through). And while we have good imaginations, it's just down right awesome that this game is really good at adding a unique story every time we play.

With that in mind, I forsee many hours of enjoyment with every single mission, and can't wait to see more.

Dont forget about differnent Insane effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Have anyone experienced different endings? If we dont count the generic player dies ending that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lothar Neu
Germany
Sarstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To me the replayability of the first scenario is quite low, unless you want to achieve the second ending, which might be quite hard:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you gain access to the ritual before the portal opens you can disrupt the ritual and run off with the book.

First of all the "key items" are always in the same spots.

And what I like least is the fact that you can skip everything about "accumulating knowledge".
You don't need to talk to the Butler to solve the puzzle for the secret office.(The puzzle might be easier if you talked to him) And you don't need to read through the Old Journal to gain access by fiddling with the wiring, if you chose this path.

Well if you couldn't skip this stuff, the second ending wouldn't probably be viable at all, but nevertheless to me a single scenario should always be consistent within itself and previous gained knowledge from another playthrough should not carry over.

If I would have designed the scenario, the wiring and the hidden entrance office would not have been solvable until you get the knowledge of them, but maybe this is just the case because it is the introductory scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul de Senquisse
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KingLz wrote:
To me the replayability of the first scenario is quite low,
(...)
the wiring and the hidden entrance would not have been solvable until you get the knowledge of them.

I just played and won the first scenario. Given that I did it without finding any "wiring" and "hidden entrance" at all (just a locked door leading to a yard needing a key found in a box), it seems that there must be some replayability after all, because now I really want to find what you were talking about. Especially the wiring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
Sounds pretty much like the first edition, but with an app as randomiser to make things much smoother and fluid. Most of these things varied in the original game, but the consequence being the fiddliness rating was very high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingLz wrote:

If you gain access to the ritual before the portal opens you can disrupt the ritual and run off with the book.

This happened in my very first game so it is not that difficult.

I have played two times and both were extremly different. I have read about a lot of stuff that can happen that I have not experienced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lothar Neu
Germany
Sarstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
desenquisse wrote:
KingLz wrote:
To me the replayability of the first scenario is quite low,
(...)
the wiring and the hidden entrance would not have been solvable until you get the knowledge of them.

I just played and won the first scenario. Given that I did it without finding any "wiring" and "hidden entrance" at all (just a locked door leading to a yard needing a key found in a box), it seems that there must be some replayability after all, because now I really want to find what you were talking about. Especially the wiring

By hidden entrance I actually meant the hidden office.

You obviously got the key, so you were able to solve the puzzle leading to the room with the key in it. (The key room is always behind the puzzle, as far as I have seen, proof me wrong)

You learn about the wiring when reading through the Old Journal btw, if you want to do that for theme.

Quote:
This happened in my very first game so it is not that difficult.

I have played two times and both were extremly different. I have read about a lot of stuff that can happen that I have not experienced.

Well while there are other monsters that can spawn and events, the basics are always in the same spot:

* The key is always in the hidden office behind a puzzle.

* The wiring is always in the room next to the room with the closed door.(brass key needed)

* The rooms left and right to the entrance contain the butler and the Old Journal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played the first scenario 4 times now (since it's the only one that seems to be stable).

We were pleasantly surprised by how various locations and items shift around and change. Made it interesting to play again.

However, our fourth game was identical to one of the first three and we find ourselves not wanting to play it again because we appear to have seen all the variety available for the first scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingLz wrote:
To me the replayability of the first scenario is quite low, unless you want to achieve the second ending, which might be quite hard:

Twice now we've gotten that ending. It wasn't that hard, just go as fast as you can to the goal.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingLz wrote:
]By hidden entrance I actually meant the hidden office.

You obviously got the key, so you were able to solve the puzzle leading to the room with the key in it. (The key room is always behind the puzzle, as far as I have seen, proof me wrong)

Challenge accepted. Obvious spoilers below, but then again, this entire thread is s spoiler.

The location of the key and wiring can be interchanged. I have found the wiring in the secret office and the key in the bedroom. So it is perfectly possible that desenquisse has not yet discovered the rune puzzle and the secret room yet, but did find the key.

So this also means that your final conclusions ("The key is always in the hidden office", and "the wiring is always in the room next to the room with the closed door") are incorrect. Furthermore, that last room you mentioned does not necessarily lie next to the closed door.

Turns out that there is quite a bit of variation after all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lothar Neu
Germany
Sarstedt
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
So this also means that your final conclusions ("The key is always in the hidden office", and "the wiring is always in the room next to the room with the closed door") are incorrect.

I am pretty sure my statements are true for the layouts where you enter via the Foyer (1. edition tile) or the Lobby.

I just started the game now a dozens of times and did not get a single game where the butler did not tell me the key is in the hidden office.

So either I am the most unlucky guy ever or the key items are indeed static, but not for the whole scenario, but for each of the three basic layouts. (Layout may vary, but I consider each first tile a single layout: Lobby, Foyer and Entry Hall)

It seems that indeed if you rolled the Entry Hall layout the Key is in the Puzzle Box. (Never played that layout)

I pretty much rolled new games now over 20+ times and until someone can proof me wrong I assume the following locations for the Key:

Foyer and Lobby: Hidden Office
Entrance Hall: Puzzle Box

There seems to be no randomization within a given layout for the location of at least the Key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I'm not going to spoiler this as the thread title already has spoiler warnings.

You can take the below as pretty much definitive. I and others have gone many times through the 1st scenario either on the app or the table.

There are 6 different layouts for scenario 1; 2 of which use 1st edition tiles.

Each layout has a unique room in which the ritual is taking place:

Layout A - Start room: Entry Hall, Ritual Room: Yard 2
Layout B - Start Room: Entry Hall, Ritual Room: Conservatory
Layout C - Start Room: Lobby, Ritual Room: Attic
Layout D - Start Room: Lobby, Ritual Room: Bell Tower
Layout E - Start Room: Foyer (1st edition tile), Ritual Room: Attic Loft (1st Edition)
Layout F - Start room: Foyer (1st Edition), Ritual Room: Roof (1st Edition)

As noted above, there is always a 'hidden' room that must be found by solving a puzzle. This room varies. It will contain the key for the locked Ritual room. An alternative way into the ritual room is to solve the 'wiring' puzzle in the bedroom. This does not change. Once a player realizes he only needs to do one of these two things and then head for the ritual room replayability for the scenario is basically dead. SO replayability depends really on how quickly the players 'suss' the scenario structure.

Placements of other items varies a little in the 6 different layouts but the above are the only elements important tot he scenario.

There are 3 different endings:

A - The investigators stop the ritual being performed and escape the house with the ritual components. Investigation is successfully completed (I believe this to be the most common as it is not too difficult to do)

B - The investigators are too slow to prevent the ritual but close the portal. Investigation successfully completed. (This is a fun variant to play through but I think will be seen less commonly than A)

C - The investigtors fail to prevent the ritual and fail to close the portal before the house is destroyed. Investigation is not completed (FAILURE!). (Personally, I find it quite hard to get this ending. the scenario is not too difficult)

If you add 1st edition monsters it's possible to see: zombies, cultists, Witches, crawling ones, Children of the Goat, Mi-Go, Byakhees and Dark Druids. There may be more; they are the ones I've discovered.

If you either

A: gain access to the ritual room very early

or

B: play through ending B

then you will in all likelihood see at least 1 of the 'big monsters': Star Spawn in 2nd edition or any of the 'big miniatures' from 1st edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul de Senquisse
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:

Layout A - Start room: Entry Hall, Ritual Room: Yard 2

That's what I had

Quote:

As noted above, there is always a 'hidden' room that must be found by solving a puzzle. This room varies. It will contain the key for the locked Ritual room.

In my game, the key was in the puzzle box, and the puzzle box was in Vanderbilt's bedroom, not hidden at all (the butler even told me the key was there when I saved him). No hidden room, no wiring of any kind.

Quote:

A - The investigators stop the ritual being performed and escape the house with the ritual components. Investigation is successfully completed (I believe this to be the most common as it is not too difficult to do)

Pretty much, though there was still an effect summoning monsters every turn until the ritual was disrupted, so I thought this was the forementioned portal

Quote:

If you add 1st edition monsters it's possible to see: zombies, cultists, Witches, crawling ones, Children of the Goat, Mi-Go, Byakhees and Dark Druids. There may be more; they are the ones I've discovered.

If you either

A: gain access to the ritual room very early

or

B: play through ending B

then you will in all likelihood see at least 1 of the 'big monsters': Star Spawn in 2nd edition or any of the 'big miniatures' from 1st edition.

I gained access to the ritual room quite early, but no big mini (only 2 investigators though, so it might be a scaling thing). I did see a witch, a byakhee and a mi-go from my 1st ed mini though (witch was Vanderbilt's assistant, the other two were summoned during the ritual)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
The 'portal' opens if investigators are too slow to achieve Victory condition A, as I described it above. The objective changes from disrupting the ritual and escaping with the components to closing the portal (via completing a puzzle and some other tests). If you achieved Objective A, or your game ended by some other means before that point (ie investigator death) then you will not see or hear of any portal.

Quote:
I gained access to the ritual room quite early, but no big mini (only 2 investigators though, so it might be a scaling thing). I did see a witch, a byakhee and a mi-go from my 1st ed mini though (witch was Vanderbilt's assistant, the other two were summoned during the ritual)

You have to reach the Ritual room VERY early for a large monster to spawn (ie you've played the scenario before and just go straight for the key / puzzle or you're cheating and just playing on the app and just click through everything in a few turns). It's very unlikely I think on a 1st playthrough. And yes, scaling does also play a part in the monster selection, although not too much. The scaling is mostly done by variable life points on the monsters (ie the more investigators, the more they have).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.