Subject: Limiting the movement of a Detachment to avoid cheap scouting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the posts here, a couple of fans of Quebec 1759 appear concerned by a particular available Turn 1 move.

As many know, Detachment units in the latest edition replaced Decoys from the earlier editions. The opportunity now exists to send 4 Detachments - 1 each to the 4 zones across from Ile d'Orleans - to battle the French units there. While the 1 British unit in each zone will most certainly perish, the French are forced to reveal their units and resolve the Battle. At this point, the British player is now aware of the makeup of units in each of the four zones surrounding Ile d'Orleans.

This has the effect of acting as a scouting action in four key French zones at the beginning of the game, for the cost of 4 Detachment units (4 CV). To those who have brought this issue up, this feels like a somewhat over-powered move for the British (though any conclusions from rigorous testing of this theory are lacking - from myself included).

If this perceived "gamey" imbalance is believed to exist, my suggestion is to blend the old rules and new. In the old rules, Decoys could not move by themselves or exist by themselves. My variant suggestion is this:

"A Detachment unit can never move into an enemy-occupied zone without at least 1 other unit moving in with it as well."

This has the effect of costing the British player a little bit more if he wishes to sacrifice units purely to scout. Detachment units can still exist on their own in zones and move alone into friendly zones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.