Subject: Alternate Victory Point (Florin) track for Grail Games version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a few people have already mentioned in the reviews, the new Grail Games version of the game generally looks magnificent (thanks to Vincent Dutrait's art and components) however the victory point/florin track around the outside of the board is quite indistinct - doubly so in non-optimal lighting conditions.

(picture by user pfctsqr)

For my next game I am looking to use a separate 1-100 victory point board instead (placed next to the main board).

Does anyone know of any pre-existing and preferably pretty VP track designs out there already? (i.e., something that will look better than any feeble effort of mine in Excel or Word)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one I found with some googling ...

(print at full A4/letter size)

[There also scoring apps you can use but I'm a cardboard guy.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you used the score track yet? It's not as bad as you think. The points in the ribbon can be used for reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
We struggled with the track in the new edition. I didn't even realize every space was numbered until my wife noticed it. It works, but you have to be careful. Just break out the poker chips, I guess, if it doesn't work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We struggled with it, too. I thought about just using poker chips or something, but I think the idea is to know clearly who is ahead and behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you missed it, there is also an indication of starting money on the score track, no need to consult the rulebook for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
urbanus wrote:
In case you missed it, there is also an indication of starting money on the score track, no need to consult the rulebook for it.

Thanks for letting us know! Of course I missed it, because it's barely legible because of the color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Have you used the score track yet? It's not as bad as you think. The points in the ribbon can be used for reference.

Yes I have. And yes it as bad as I think - we all considered it a definite inconvenience not being able to read the numbers/spaces easily.

In very bright lighting may be it would be fine, but our gaming group usually plays in a venue where the lighting depends on where you sit - and none of it is what I would call "bright lighting".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhereAreTheBlackDice wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

Yes I have. And yes it as bad as I think - we all considered it a definite inconvenience not being able to read the numbers/spaces easily.

In very bright lighting may be it would be fine, but our gaming group usually plays in a venue where the lighting depends on where you sit - and none of it is what I would call "bright lighting".

I do agree it could have been better. Multiples of 5 in gold as is, then intermediate numbers outlined in gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth van Doorn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious if anyone has tried using a white pen/highlighter to mark the spaces on the board more distinctly? I'm thinking of doing so but not sure what type of pen would work best on the glossy surface.

Much appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's fine (but I have good eyesight). Score tracks with only multiples of five printed is somewhat common, so even if you can't read the in between numbers, it doesn't strike me as a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.