Popular Tags: [View All]
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Fields of Green is inspired by Among the Stars, many people are curious if they are different enough or one of them is just a re-theme of the other.

Although the core of the game is similar in both games (card drafting and spatial element) there are some key differences in this game from Among the Stars:

- No setup time. You just shuffle the 4 piles and can start playing. If you want to add any promos (or if a future expansion is made) you just shuffle the new cards with the rest. There are no Basic / Special locations that require you to set the draw pile in a specific way first.

- No board. Scoring is done at the end of the game. You don't track points after every turn.

- You choose the card types in your starting hand each round. This way, you can make each round feel different and it is also a way to affect (to a degree) what the other players will have access to.

- There is an additional type of abilities, those that trigger at the end of every round (Harvest abilities) provided you are able to pay their Harvest cost. This ended up being a very significant change to the game (bigger than it may sound).

- There is an additional resource (Food) and an additional location associated with it (Silo).

- Resource management. In Among the Stars, every round you get 10 credits and the challenge is on how to spend them in the most efficient way - usually you don't care about generating more money because you will get more next round. In Fields of Green, you have to manage your resources (money and food) carefully and make sure that you can generate enough of them at the end of the round, to make it through the next one.

- The scope of the game is different. In Among the Stars the goal was always to maximize your points. In this one, if you want to win, you must build an effective engine: Generate Water through Water Towers, use it to water your Fields and generate Food. Use that Food to feed your animals, generating money, and use that money to build expensive Buildings that provide you with many points. Choosing each round a card based solely on the points it provides won't cut it.

These are the most important differences. Also keep in mind that although a few of the abilities ended up similar with some of the ones used in Among the Stars, most of them were made from scratch based on how this particular games functions.

All in all we believe that although it starts from a similar basis, it ends up providing a different playing experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for you post, Vangelis. You swayed me from "why would I" to "mmm... maybe actually why not" attitude .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Nice to know. But the problem for me is no solo play... It is just the second largest guild on bgg, so it is missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to read that it WILL be different than among the stars Good that I am attending essen this year so I can't wait to see cool stretch goals
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
$50 dollars? That is very surprising... it's beautiful, but ultimately a bunch of tiles, no board and a handful of resource counters...

I was going to back day one, but that is too rich for my blood.

I am sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Great explanations!

And, IMO, all these changes make this a better game, with more depth, but still with the same "simple" AtS gameplay. Also better for my wife, as the theme make it more accessible to the less-gamer crowd.

Can't wait to see the stretch goal you have planned.

Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
$50 dollars? That is very surprising... it's beautiful, but ultimately a bunch of tiles, no board and a handful of resource counters...

I am sad.
I was surprised at this too. Way too expensive in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:

I am sad.

$50, shipping included. We also haven't seen the stretch goals, so it's hard to judge the total value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The improved set up time makes this interesting to me. I like Among the stars, but figuring out how many buildigns to add, finding them, etc. is a bit of a hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
ReluctantFr0g wrote:

I am sad.

$50, shipping included. We also haven't seen the stretch goals, so it's hard to judge the total value.

Yeah, stretch goals could make this worth it, but I have 30 days to watch this one and see if the value increases. I'm not saying it isn't a great game, it looks good, but tile thickness and a better box won't do it for me. I mean, The Great Western Trail is right at 50 and comes with an insane amount of things in the box. https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3132341/great-western-trail

Does that make it a better game? No, of course not, I realize this, but they packed the box for the same cost. I guess it's my fault as I expected it to be more around 35 or so, but that is my fault actually.

I think I paid like 50 for Cry Havoc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Walk
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is, that they are offsetting the costs to ship to the US, but a lot of people were complaining about the price of the 2-player AtS Kickstarter Campaign. I think with all the stretch-goals, it was still worth the pledge, but I am struggling here as well.

I hope the KS campaign gains momentum, so that lots of stretchgoals will be added.

My guess for the stretchgoals is: Mostly additional cards with the occasional "resource token upgrade" (if we ever manage to get to these stretch goals).

Best of luck to Artipia, and let's hope for the best ! I really like AtS, but the fiddly setup was the main reason, we didn't play the game more often. If that is resolved in this game, I might not bother too much about the price (although the stretchgoals will have to make up for the high pledge at least a little bit...)!

Cheers,
Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:
ReluctantFr0g wrote:

I am sad.

Yeah, stretch goals could make this worth it, but I have 30 days to watch this one and see if the value increases. I'm not saying it isn't a great game, it looks good, but tile thickness and a better box won't do it for me. I mean, The Great Western Trail is right at 50 and comes with an insane amount of things in the box. https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3132341/great-western-trail

Does that make it a better game? No, of course not, I realize this, but they packed the box for the same cost. I guess it's my fault as I expected it to be more around 35 or so, but that is my fault actually.

I think I paid like 50 for Cry Havoc.

... and shipping is already included in the $50 price, I think that's an important fact not to leave out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people with expansions could also customize their starting hands similarly in Among the Stars as a variant. Anyway I do collect Among the Stars Universe games (well Stellar Conflict didn't seem that interesting so passed it so far) so don't necessarily need to add a similar game mechanically into my collection. If I hadn't AtS, I would be more likely to purchase this. It's also possible that some ideas get incorporated into a future AtS expansion. But best of luck with the campaign!

PS. Try to have some occasional progress with the artbook and AtS website projects, those have been taken way too long. Hopefully the promised pdf artbook finally delivers in 2017 at least...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chize wrote:
I really like AtS, but the fiddly setup was the main reason, we didn't play the game more often. If that is resolved in this game, I might not bother too much about the price (although the stretchgoals will have to make up for the high pledge at least a little bit...)!

Setup is alot faster, shuffle 4 decks put them out, go.
Nothing needs to be seperated, even should more stuff be added in.
And a draw bag solves any downtime caused by the tech tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big thing keeping me from backing this (coming from a huge AtS fan) is the shipping process of Artipia. I was a Lap Dance backer that had a shredded insert and have heard about their most recent problems with Pursuit of Happiness will you continue to use the thinnest boxes imaginable when shipping overseas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Kokkinis
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.artipiagames.com
badge
Pre-order Treachery In A Pocket today!
mbmbmbmbmb
astrostasis wrote:
The big thing keeping me from backing this (coming from a huge AtS fan) is the shipping process of Artipia. I was a Lap Dance backer that had a shredded insert and have heard about their most recent problems with Pursuit of Happiness will you continue to use the thinnest boxes imaginable when shipping overseas?

We will be moving to a box twice as thick as a packing solution. Also the insert of the game will undergo extensive harsh treatment testing. However if you still have doubts, you can perhaps pick it up (of ask a friend if you are not going to be attending) from Spiel 2016 in Essen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Wojcik
Poland
Wroclaw
Dolnoslaskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:

- You choose the card types in your starting hand each round. This way, you can make each round feel different and it is also a way to affect (to a degree) what the other players will have access to.

I sense some similarities to New Dawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
badge
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
With so many gameplay changes for the better, it's too bad for me that the theme changes (imho) for the worse.
Nicely chosen game-name and definitely worth looking at, but... too bad the theme feels like "another Agricola"... :(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meh, even at $50, I'm sure I'll get enough playtime out of this to not care too much.

Games are more expensive now days, it's just the reality we have to live in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really glad to have read this diary. I owned Among the Stars, but the building a space ship theme just didn't hold my interest enough. Farming, however, I find quite interesting. This diary makes me think this is the game for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked it up at Essen spiel along with the KS extra card pack.
As we really enjoy Among the stars i have no doubt we will love this game aswel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this last night, chuck theel from ding n dent podcast had a review copy.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't care much for among the stars but loved fields of green, well done to all involved, I'll be picking up a copy. Meaty little farming game for a 30 minute filler, not sure if I own anything like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.