Runewars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Years and seasons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
When does year ONE starts? At the beginning of the play or after first 4 seasons have passed?

In first case players starts to count: quarter of a year, half of year, ... and when winter pass it is 1 year. This way all 8 cards per season will be used.

In second case players say it is year one and after winter year two starts. This way 7 cards per season will be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we played it that when our first spring started it was our first year.

Starting with year '0' sound not very intuitive to me...
never thought about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
when does the year 2016 start?
on 01. Jan 2016 or 01. Jan 2017?
I would say the year 2016 starts on 01. Jan 2016.

therefore the first year in runewars starts with the first season card you draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, but also you say that child has 3 months, 6 months, etc. And it has a year after 12 months.

Anyway thanks for answers. I'll stick to your answers. As is it said, it is more intuitive interpretation. : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A child is 1 year old and starts its second life-year after 12 month, not its first

so, after 4 seasons, the second year begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, what is the context for the question? In terms of gameplay, is there a reason it matters? I don't mean to sound snarky, just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is the context for the question? In terms of gameplay, is there a reason it matters? I don't mean to sound snarky, just curious.

I think the problem is in the wording on page 7 'object of the game' and the different wording on page 30 'winning the game.'

The former refers to counting dragon runes at the end of 7 game years. In this case, year '0' would still be one game year. Hence, the game lasts 7 years.

The latter refers to the game ending at the end of the 7th game year. In this case, year '0' would be the 0th game year and the game lasts for 8 years.

hahalaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually start in year 719 and end before 725 ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess a better question is: Do you use all 8 of the season cards in a game that goes the distance, or will there always be at least one season card for each season that never sees the light of day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty clear the intent is 7 years of gaming time and the designated label we choose to use for the first year is irrelevant. Call it year 0, or year 719 as does Jason.

A baby has lived a full year after one year of growing regardless of what year he/she is born. I have to agree with Alexander here. Nobody really talks about the 0th year of something, the start of the sequence is always the first year.

Typically in this game, there are leftover cards; it would not be unusual for the designer -- except of course the Fate deck, which is churned over and over in a lively year -- it would have been consistent to have a deck of 80 Fate cards so that wouldn't happen. But that's another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
I guess a better question is: Do you use all 8 of the season cards in a game that goes the distance, or will there always be at least one season card for each season that never sees the light of day?

Yes,I believe this is the heart of the question.

In our group, we leave one card unseen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:

The answer would depend a bit on which rules you are using.

If using the original edition with Epic rules, you'd use all 8 of each season card.

If using the revised edition playing 7 years, you'd use all but one.

I think we are all in basic agreement though - The game starts at the beginning of "Year 1" which is the "first year" There is no "zero-th year"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.