Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Is this a happy medium between Talisman and Mage Knight? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I have enjoyed Talisman in the past but i'm feeling it's a little too lite and luck based for my tastes.

A friend and I have played Mage Knight, and whilst i enjoyed it a lot i feel it's a bit on the heavy side for my wife to enjoy.

I have Legends of Andor but haven't gotten it to the table yet as the threads i've read about the time pressure aspect of the game and the combat avoidance to save time worry me. One of my least favoured aspects of games are ones that apply abritrary tight timers which result in fail states.

Do you think Runebound will offer a suitable medium weight adventuring and combat game that isn't too in depth to scare away my wife, but also is deep enough for me to not get bored like i do with Talisman?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, at least to me it is. I think a lighter Mage Knight is a good way to describe it, at least when it comes to the adventure and rpg part. Mage Knight is much heavier and hence more gratifying, but it takes more effort to play than Runebound.

Runebound < Shadows of Malice < Mage Knight Board Game < Magic Realm would be my assessment in terms of weight, time and effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I considering the game lightish. If you've ever played a MMO, has a similar adventure feel and progression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes its a step up from talsiman bit more thought and control given to players and the direction they want to play it.

i never felt a story in mageknight its was just a maths puzzle getting from a to b.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried "Relic"? Similar to Talisman, but more fun and less luck.
(Not to take anything away from Runebound 3rd, which is an absolute gem.)
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short Answer - Yes! Perfectly describes the niche for the game and why I divested myself of MK, Talisman...and...dare I say it...RB 2nd. And I was very skeptical at first on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, your thread title is basically a perfect way to describe Runebound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Devos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I havent played the other two games but i'll just give my 2 cents.
Its a light enough game where you still have choices to make (what gear to buy, what skills to learn and which to discard to get that extra chance to succeed a quest). I really enjoy adventure videogames and this game is an absolute joy to play because of that.
What makes it light is that its not very highly competitive as you more play 'alongside' each other while racing to defeat the current threat and claim all the honor and spoils for yourself.

As for andor ( i apoligise i know this is not the right forum but just want to give my opinion), don't compare it to any of these games. Its not a dungeoncrawler or a mash-em-up. Its an adventure puzzle-game where you have to make the correct choices to complete the quest at hand rather then endlesly killing monsters.
(Runebound also has a somewhatvsimilar timetrack actually, though A LOT less pressuring nor punishing)
Andor is not a game anyone would like, but give it a chance and keep in mind thats a puzzlegame in the first place, an adventure game second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tilde72 wrote:
Yes, at least to me it is. I think a lighter Mage Knight is a good way to describe it, at least when it comes to the adventure and rpg part. Mage Knight is much heavier and hence more gratifying, but it takes more effort to play than Runebound.

Runebound < Shadows of Malice < Mage Knight Board Game < Magic Realm would be my assessment in terms of weight, time and effort.

I think your progression is spot on.

I would not compare MK to Runebound or Shadows of Malice though. These latter two games are bursting with story, theme, and a persistant threat that you are up against.

Mage Knight really doesn't have any story and or threat. It's just a sandbox for you to move around in with a general idea of what to do and a time limit on when you have to stop. It's a great game, but in a different way than the other mentioned.

I have never played Magic Realm but I have heard it is a beast to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zaphoduk wrote:

I have Legends of Andor but haven't gotten it to the table yet as the threads i've read about the time pressure aspect of the game and the combat avoidance to save time worry me. One of my least favoured aspects of games are ones that apply abritrary tight timers which result in fail states.

Nobody has mentioned this, but Runebound 3e has a hard timer and is basically a race game. That seems to be a concern for you based on the original comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I want a light adventure game I play Relic (Talisman is just too random and mindless).

When I want a medium adventure game I play Runebound 3e.

When I want a medium-heavy adventure game I play Assault on Doomrock.

When I want a brain-burning mind gauntlet of joy I play Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
zaphoduk wrote:

Nobody has mentioned this, but Runebound 3e has a hard timer and is basically a race game. That seems to be a concern for you based on the original comment.

You have a ton of time in Runebound though. Around 26+ turns each.

I found Legends of Andor to be extremely un-fun because of what was said in the OP. You get punished for defeating enemies by taking time track jumps. IMO, Andor is not in the same spirit of Runebound 3rd hardly at all mechanically and I much prefer Runebound in all aspects. It's equally beautiful in art and punches out a great Adventure story each time that feels different enough to be played over and over. Andor, not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:

You have a ton of time in Runebound though. Around 26+ turns each.

It doesn't feel that way solo to me, but YMMV. Multi-player I agree, it's not really so much a rushed feeling.

I haven't played LoA, so I wasn't comparing and was just noting that RB has an explicit timer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition, with Runebound, if you find the current time-track way to difficult, you could add/create a "Prologue" track of 5-10 turns before you start Act I. It will change things but it's easy to scale if that's what you desire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
In addition, with Runebound, if you find the current time-track way to difficult, you could add/create a "Prologue" track of 5-10 turns before you start Act I. It will change things but it's easy to scale if that's what you desire.

Although the skills you acquire, the challenges you face, in short the game itself is based on working within the time alloted. This makes you milk every turn for all it's worth and is what really drives all of the other game mechanics. The game design is built around it. Remove that and it's a different and far less appealing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
...and...dare I say it...RB 2nd.

Blasphemy! There's room for both...

Hope you got a good price for 2nd!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theashers wrote:
atsgamer wrote:
...and...dare I say it...RB 2nd.

Blasphemy! There's room for both...

Hope you got a good price for 2nd!

Runebound 2e is a limp Talisman wannabe compared to the finely honed brilliance of 3e.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've watched a couple of videos on youtube of R3e and whilst the majority of it looks straight forward, the allocation of the discs after casting them looks a bit odd. I'm sure it'll become clear once we've had a few encounters but on the surface it doesn't look very "wife friendly" lol

I've decided i'll be picking up Runebound this weekend and hopefully we'll give it a bash on Sunday night so will post back with how the Mrs took to it.

Incidentally my mate and I tried LoA last night for the first time. My first impressions can be found here https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1619898/initial-impressions...

It wasn't as heavy or complex as i thought it would be, possibly even something my wife could handle, and we're looking forward to following through with the rest of the Legends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enough love in my heart for both...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theashers wrote:

Would you feel the same way if both editions came out at the same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
theashers wrote:

Would you feel the same way if both editions came out at the same time?

For soloing, I sure would. 2e >>>> 3e for solo play and I'm very glad to have bought it up.

But I also think Arkham >>>> Eldritch, so safe to say I am on the minority side of most of these endless wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played 2Ed, however I don't see how it would be better in solo than 3Ed. As far as I understand, there are no skill cards in 2Ed, there are not 3 separate Adventure types (only combat), and everything is determined in combat and checks by 2 d10's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
I have never played 2Ed, however I don't see how it would be better in solo than 3Ed. As far as I understand, there are no skill cards in 2Ed, there are not 3 separate Adventure types (only combat), and everything is determined in combat and checks by 2 d10's.

It's better because a) I hate flipping tokens and b) there's no need to play both sides in 2e, the monsters have a predetermined role in combat.

The rest is just personal preference, but those two reasons alone make it much more enjoyable for me than 3e to play solo.

I think 3e is a better multi-player game, though there are expansions to 2e I would probably prefer at this point to base 3e.

But the OP didn't ask about solo play, so this is OT and I'll stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:

It all comes down to which is a bigger dealbreaker when soloing: having to flip tokens for yourself and your opponent, or losing 95% of the depth, strategy, and tactics of 3E.

If the tokens are really a dealbreaker solo, I'd recommend Assault on Doomrock instead of 2e.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
Phate999 wrote:

It all comes down to which is a bigger dealbreaker when soloing: having to flip tokens for yourself and your opponent, or losing 95% of the depth, strategy, and tactics of 3E.

If the tokens are really a dealbreaker solo, I'd recommend Assault on Doomrock instead of 2e.

Ranked Fantasy Adventure (themed) Solo Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.