Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokoko is my favorite game right now and when the expansion came out, I preordered it very early. The problem is that I only get to play it solo and so had to come up with a set of rules to do that. This is my solution... although I'm sure playing through it will reveal places where a tweek will improve it.

In addition to the game components, a D10, D6, and D4 are recommended.

You will be playing against Louis, a French master dressmaker who has no need for money, fabrics, yarn, or lace. He will always have the resources he needs to make dresses and buy decorations. He is an arrogant prick, but great at sewing dresses.

For you, play standard two-player rules.

Louis gets the 5 standard cards for his color along with all of the property markers for his color. Louis begins the game with the first player marker. To begin Louis' turn, take the first three cards of his employee supply as his hand. He only gets three cards per hand plus any he hires but use all of them and give him the specialized employee bonuses as they come up. Flip over one of his 1st three cards. Louis' cards are for turn counting only, his actions are not affected by what type of card he draws but he does get the bonuses from the specialized jewelry box cards. Next, roll a D6 and perform the action according to the dice roll.

1) Make a Dress- Roll a D10. Louis makes the dress according to the number rolled. Start at the left side of the board and count towards the right; repeat for die rolls higher than 9. For example, a roll of "1" means Louis makes the most expensive dress whereas a roll of "9" means he makes the rightmost dress. Reroll for a roll of 10. Louis needs no resources or money to complete a dress.

Next, roll a D6 to determine which hall the dress will go to. A roll of "1" means it will go into the Kings Hall (top level). A roll of "5" means it will go to the bottom ballroom. (Reroll for a roll of 6) If the dress is a master dress indicated by the gold thimble, then the dress is placed in a master spot if one is available, taking the highest bonus it can. If no master spots are available, Louis dress goes to the space with a bonus, if one is available. Priority for bonuses is as follows: 1) money 2) fabric 3) lace or yarn

2) Favor Card- Regardless of whether or not you have already taken the favor card, Louis takes the favor card, first player marker, and receives 3VP. Any subsequent turn this round that roles the Favor Card action, he simply receives 3VP.

3) Acquire Resources- Roll a D6. Louis gains the entire row of fabric tiles corresponding with the die roll. He takes on a 1 or 2) top row, 3 or 4) middle row, 5 or 6) bottom row. Do NOT discard the fabric tiles. Louis will score 1VP per 3 fabric tiles at the end of the game.

4) Hire an Employee- Roll a D4 and give the corresponding card to Louis. If it is an orange bonus card, Louis will score those points at the end of the game. Louis puts that card into his hand and will receive an additional turn this round. On his first “hire an employee” action, give him his specialized apprentice. On turn three, remove one of his regular apprentices from the game and give him the top specialized journeyman. On turn five, remove one of his regular journeymen from the game and give him the top specialized Master card.

5) Make a Decoration- Roll a D10. Louis will make the decoration according to the die roll. He will make the most expensive decoration he can. 1 or 2) Fireworks, 3 or 4) Musician, 5 or 6) Statue, 7 or 8) Fountain, 9 or 10) Jewelry Workshop.
As soon as Master Lewis is present in the Jewelry Workshop, every time he makes a dress, roll a D4 to see which jewelry tile he takes (it does not have to match) and give him a resource tile.

6) Make a Zero Cost Dress- Roll a die. On an odd number, Louis will build the left zero cost dress. On an even number, he will build the right zero cost dress. Follow dress placement procedures from the "Make a Dress" action to determine its placement.

If ever Louis rolls an action that is not available to him, he misses out on his turn, except if he rolls the Favor Card action. He simply receives an additional 3VP.

End Scoring: Score the game normally. You may gain a VP for every $10, per usual. Louis gets 1VP for every 3 fabric tiles he has collected. (You may change the ratio to make the game more difficult). He scores normally for every orange employee card he has. Remember to check and see if/when Louis gets a dress in every hall. If he beats you to it, he gets the VP.
To increase difficulty, Louis can score the secondary VP for each hall and/or for fireworks majority. I recommend downloading one of the many scorecards for this game available from several BGG users in the files section of the Rococo BGG page. This will help with end game scoring. Also to increase difficulty, give Louis four action cards instead of three. I hope you enjoy. Please post comments, suggestions, and scores. Thanks for reading!

“Master Lewis” is a creation of
Kevin Haar
United States
St.Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and the base solo rules are his, I have just incorporated some modifications to allow for playing the Jewelry Box expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
On his first “hire an employee” action, give him his specialized apprentice

How do you use his specialized apprentice then? Do you replace one of the base card with this, and then give him 3 VP every time he plays this apprentice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drugo81 wrote:
Quote:
On his first “hire an employee” action, give him his specialized apprentice

How do you use his specialized apprentice then? Do you replace one of the base card with this, and then give him 3 VP every time he plays this apprentice?

The first time he rolls a "Hire a new Employee" action for his turn, I give him the Special Apprentice card and add it to his cards. This gives him an extra card that round and adds a card to his deck. Then, every time it comes up, I do give him the 3 VP. It doesn't replace any card like the Journeyman and the Master do... it acts as a hired extra employee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers! Have been enjoying the solo for the base game so I'm looking forward to trying your variant for the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drugo81 wrote:
Cheers! Have been enjoying the solo for the base game so I'm looking forward to trying your variant for the expansion.

I hope you like it! Rokoko is easily my favorite game... if I have enough time to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.