Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Conversion Kit: worth buying first edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Deschildre
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I uncorked Mansions of Madness 2E and noticed the Conversion Kit (all character cards from 1E and some tokens).

Question: Is it worth gaining the 1E and expansions (Call of the Wild and Forbidden Alchemy) to use all items like character, monsters and maps?

Or do I better wait for the Suppressed Memories and Recurring Nightmares expansions? https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/761615232842207232 and https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/761612669191393280?

Your toughts, BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrael_ wrote:
I uncorked Mansions of Madness 2E and noticed the Conversion Kit (all character cards from 1E and some tokens).

Question: Is it worth gaining the 1E and expansions (Call of the Wild and Forbidden Alchemy) to use all items like character, monsters and maps?

Or do I better wait for the Suppressed Memories and Recurring Nightmares expansions? https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/761615232842207232 and https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/761612669191393280?

Your toughts, BGG?

Wait for SM and RN. The first edition is way too expensive right now to make it worth it for you...unless of course you think you may want to play with first edition rules on occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Only buy 1st Ed if you want to play 1st Ed. If you just want the bits, wait for the upcoming expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Deschildre
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alright, thanks! Any idea when the expansions will be out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It being fantasy flight games... We won't know till 3 days before it's released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, everything you need to use the conversion kit is right there in the kit. Sure, having the actual miniatures is nice, but you can just use the monster tiles instead. And for the investigators just pick the charactercard you like to play and use another miniature to proxy.

The only difficult thing is the map tiles. But even these can be substituted with a similar tile from 2e with the appropriate door or wall tiles on top. Or else you can even draw them on a piece of paper.

There is absolutely no need to get the first edition if you don't intend to actualy play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CG Venuti
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the opposite? I have the 1st edition and a few of the small expansions. I got the app for 2nd edition- do I need to buy the 2nd edition to use the app to run 1st edition games? Or can I just play 1st edition with the app?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The app only runs 2nd ed. You can't run 1st ed games with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Deschildre
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Indeed it's only for the 2E with "elements" from the 1E. By the way, the 2 expansions for the 2E are announced!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/12/a-horro...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dafydd Gwynedd
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea on price point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions out on 15th Sept in UK. They are on BGGuru.... at £37.99 each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eek. That's more (for both) than what I paid for the base game. Best start saving

ValDoonican wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion release date has apparently been pushed back a week to 22nd August as the App update isn't quite ready yet. At least one store has already been selling the expansions anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeneades wrote:
The expansion release date has apparently been pushed back a week to 22nd August as the App update isn't quite ready yet. At least one store has already been selling the expansions anyway.

I'm sure you mean September, not August.

Anyways, there was someone posting in the other thread that they already bought the expansions in their FLGS. Of course this won't help with the new scenarios if the app isn't updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wallwork
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given I just saw the 1st edition and its 2 big box expansions sell for £385!! on eBay (£330 for the 2 expansions), this now looks like bloody good value

ValDoonican wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.