Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this game on the way, and plan to play with 2 players max to keep down time lower. I remember reading the designer said the mission cards were not in the original design and he still plays without them. Is this the consensus for a better way to enjoy the game? Do you make any changes besides totally skipping the mission cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Van Roekel
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I moved to playing without the mission cards, then just eventually moved away from the game all together. A bit disappointed really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
FranklinT wrote:
I have this game on the way, and plan to play with 2 players max to keep down time lower. I remember reading the designer said the mission cards were not in the original design and he still plays without them. Is this the consensus for a better way to enjoy the game? Do you make any changes besides totally skipping the mission cards?

I tell folks that for the first few plays, try playing without the missions as it helps learn the characters abilities a bit better, then, if you want a bit more randomness, add in the mission cards. My original design did not include the mission cards, and as a pure dice player, I do still prefer to play without them, but it's truthfully a preference. I've had big time Browncoats tell me they love the Missions and I've had others tell me they don't. One thing I'm proud of is that is modular in that way, as you can make it your own experience that suits you and your game group best.

Hope you enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Scott! I really am looking forward to it. As much as I like the added thematic touches from the mission deck, after watching your videos on the game, I think in just the more streamlined dice and dice mechanics without the card draw, you captured the feel of the show, from a zoomed out view at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Diehl
United States
Grand Terrace
California
flag msg tools
mb
I like the missions personally. They are just extra theme. I just have trouble remembering to draw one I get so caught up in playing my crew against the foes :)

Usually the effects aren't so bad and can be mitigated by crew sometimes (eg, use book to get out of bushwhacked or gorram, unless that's illegal?)

Really enjoy this game solo, beating ninja dice & Octo dice)

Thanks for a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with missions but I move them to Step 1, allowing for the re-roll to take place after the mission has been revealed. That way you have a bit more control (without this change, I feel the missions become entirely too random).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played 5 times solo now. After my first try, I would have rated this a 4. I felt really disappointed about it. But since it's very quick (especially as a solo game), I tried again...and it clicked! This is a game with some imperfections (mostly from the publisher side), but these imperfections do not require any additional material to correct, just a tad of patience until you get the flow of the game down. As it is now, I am very much enjoying this one, and it IS a true push your luck game. Almost every turn I have to decide to roll again or bank my points.

My suggestion after my first 5 plays:
Your first 2-3 games, just leave the mission cards out completely. If you decide to start using them, draw your mission card BEFORE deciding to re-roll any dice with Wash/River (as Andreas and Scott himself have suggested). Also, remember that Niska only KO's one die no matter how many Niska are rolled. That is crucial! However, Saffron does lock one die in the cargo hold per Saffron die. Finally, remember that mission cards do not use up die icons, they are just completed if you have those icons. I listened to a podcast cover this game and hated it, but they got that rule wrong which made the game unplayable, I'm sure. I do think Upper deck gets some of the blame for their rulebook, but it is in the book. Too bad every copy didn't just come with a video of Scott teaching the game.

I currently enjoy this a great deal with or without the mission cards (as long as they are drawn before re-rolls). I put this above Martian//zombie dice (granted this is a fair bit more complex). And I love the production, despite a few missteps on Upper Deck's part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FranklinT wrote:
Have played 5 times solo now. After my first try, I would have rated this a 4. I felt really disappointed about it. But since it's very quick (especially as a solo game), I tried again...and it clicked! This is a game with some imperfections (mostly from the publisher side), but these imperfections do not require any additional material to correct, just a tad of patience until you get the flow of the game down. As it is now, I am very much enjoying this one, and it IS a true push your luck game. Almost every turn I have to decide to roll again or bank my points.

My suggestion after my first 5 plays:
Your first 2-3 games, just leave the mission cards out completely. If you decide to start using them, draw your mission card BEFORE deciding to re-roll any dice with Wash/River (as Andreas and Scott himself have suggested). Also, remember that Niska only KO's one die no matter how many Niska are rolled. That is crucial! However, Saffron does lock one die in the cargo hold per Saffron die. Finally, remember that mission cards do not use up die icons, they are just completed if you have those icons. I listened to a podcast cover this game and hated it, but they got that rule wrong which made the game unplayable, I'm sure. I do think Upper deck gets some of the blame for their rulebook, but it is in the book. Too bad every copy didn't just come with a video of Scott teaching the game.

I currently enjoy this a great deal with or without the mission cards (as long as they are drawn before re-rolls). I put this above Martian//zombie dice (granted this is a fair bit more complex). And I love the production, despite a few missteps on Upper Deck's part.

I agree!

I had been playing a lot of Zombicide: Black Plague lately, but now I need to go back and roll some dice in space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.