Subject: Arkwright - A Solitaire Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M H

Palm Harbor
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
Anyone that has played Arkwright knows that getting people together to play a full four player game can be tough, especially with the time commitment and difficulty of the Water Frame rules. So...I designed a solo play variant. My goal was to give the player the same feel of being pushed and competed against as in a multiplayer game but I didn't want them to have to actually track and make the decisions for the non playing factories. A few simple additional steps I've designed will take care of the opposing player's factory appeal and market decisions. All you have to do is focus on developing your industry.

Victory is still tracked by the stock market but I scaled and modified it slightly so winning is truly a result of profit and not the method of the designed game. I always thought that aspect could too easily be "gamed" by the player, and that certainly was the case in a solitaire play. Let me know what you think.

Arkwright Solitaire Variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Weber
United States
Coal Valley
Illinois
flag msg tools
I really just love games
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant wait to try this and give feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa boy. I have been trying hard to talk myself into adding this game to the collection but, as you say, the tabling opportunity prospects are sparse at best and a s well-playing solo ruleset would definitely be the sell for me. I am going to read over this and maybe finally talk myself into it for my next game order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H

Palm Harbor
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
Of course nothing beats actual opponents, but once I got a few balance issues ironed out I was pleased with how competitive a game could feel playing alone. Don't freak if the other sides run out to an early stock lead, I am assuming you will be able to ramp up either East Indie trade or strong factory development in mid game to bring you back into contention. Anyway, let me now what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm only just learning the game, but I have a quick question about how the variant discusses the set-up round. In "Select Action Tile," you only mention the grey tiles available to take, but not the development tiles. (And you instruct the player to take a tile from the "grey action tile board" -- does that mean the player is not allowed to choose a development tile instead?) Do the rival players only select from the grey tiles?

And, again, forgive my ignorance: During the regular Action phase, do you roll dice for each rival's appeal cube on the board? (So you roll the pair of dice twice for each color -- a total of 6 times?)

Or do you roll just once for each rival -- and then randomly pick which of his appeal markers to move...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.