Popular Tags: [View All]
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Storm over Bavaria

Previous AAR The problem of Passau

Following the setup and amendments proposed in the first session report, play of the alternate campaign has begun. I was fortunate in securing the services of fellow 1809 aficionado, Gus to take the part of the French and their Allies at short notice. After plying him with a roast dinner and wine in an effort to put him in a befuddled state, he was given some overall briefings as to the strategic situation facing the French.

At Berthier’s HQ the news began to filter in on the day of the 9th April. Roughly 90-100,000 troops under command of Archduke Charles were pushing across the Bavarian frontier at the Inn River, south of the Danube. A detached corps was apparently operating in the far south from Salzburg, and were likely to march on Munich. From Bohemia, north of the Danube, some 60,000 troops were issuing across the border, their objective no doubt being the concentration areas selected by the Emperor around Amberg/Nuemarket (off map to the West). It was anticipated that these troops could reappear at some point between hexes W0024 to W1701 [in fact, they appear at Hemau (W0016) on GT 7 -21/22 April].

Until the Emperor arrives with the main army in approx. 3-4 GTS then protect key supplies centres off map at Amberg/Nuemarket in the North and Ingolstadt in the centre. Send what assistance you can for the Elector and his capital in Munich....

And so the campaign begins.

Charles was taking no chances with the initial moves into Bavaria, issuing no less than 8 orders to his various Corps to ensure they were on the move. Jelacic in Salzburg was issued with an Admin march order to move on Munich, with opposition expected to be light (Admin moves consume less Admin points). Charles also wished to spare unnecessary attrition, so while the smaller formations were pushed ahead at 10 miles per day (5 hexes), some of the large Corps managed only 6-8 miles.

In the centre, order were given to cut off the citadel of Passau and place it under siege as soon as possible. All bridges leading out of the fortress were cut and using the revised rules from The Habit of Victory the fortress was able to be masked on the first game turn (9-10 April).

Fortress masking table and required die rolls.

Odds were 15 Austrian SP’s to 3 French (tripled to 9), but the roll was sufficient to force the garrison to retire entirely behind the citadel walls and await the promised relief.

The house rule I had implemented for this replay was that once a citadel was masked, it would then face a siege roll approximately every week ( or 3 game turns) to represent the building of parallels . The earliest siege/surrender roll was then set for GT4 in the combat phase, using once again some rules for sieges from The Habit of Victory.

The Austrians were extremely lucky rolling a DR of 7 on their first attempt, followed by a dr6, for a surrender of the garrison. The victorious besiegers took up residence, allowing the defeated garrison to march out under the honours of war, but plundering their supplies of sausage and wine in the process. This kept them tied down from GT4-8, when their presence was required at the front…

A little too much sausage and schnapps...

The Austrians encountered little resistance all along the line of their advance, and were also extremely fortunate in their weather rolls:

GT1- 9-10th April- Fair

GT2-11-12th April-Fair

GT3-13-14th April-Fair. Munich occupied by Jelacic, late in the evening.

GT4-15-16th April-Mud!!! (It was not clear how Mud could develop without at least a turn of rain beforehand, but we accepted the rule of the dice gods and pressed on…). Passau fell at this time.

GT5-17th-18thApril-Fair. The battle for Landshut. Bavarians driven across the Isar.

GT6-19th-20th April-Fair

GT7-21st-22nd April-Fair. Regensburg falls to the Austrians.

Gt8-23-24th April- Rain. The French strike back in the South.

Upon arriving at Munich, Jelacic marched in and took up residence in the Electors palace, admiring the splendid architecture and halls…

And taking his ease in the Electors very spacious bedroom.

Once again, his dallying here lasted from Gt 3 until Gt8, when his presence had been requested by his Corp commander, Hiller towards Freising and Moosburg in the North….

Being the senior commander on the map in the early stages, Davout had decided to leave only a small rear-guard in Regensburg and head south to hold off the bulk of the Austrians, with Charles threatening to cross the Isar river from the 19th April onwards with no less than six ArmeeKorps.

While the Austrian commander was pleased with his progress at this point in the game, his reading of the historical accounts raised doubts over his drive.

Map from ‘Crisis on the Danube’- situation as at 19th April.

Historically, the Austrian offensive had driven up from the South via Landshut and Moosburg towards Abensberg in the centre of the French position, taking advantage of the confusion caused by Berthiers contradictory orders. My handling of the Austrians was certainly looking less bold…

However, on Gt7 (21-22nd April) the French were surprised by the arrival of Bellegarde and the 1st Armeekorps from the WESTERN map edge. For the past week they had swung north and then south West, heading towards Amberg, but were now moving back towards their supports when faced with increasing French build up.

This unexpected arrival also coincided with Kollowrat, in command of II ArmeeKorps in the North, finally shaking of his ennui and driving towards Regensburg, where the combined forced of I and II ArmeeKorps drive out the garrison of 2,000 French, occupying the city.

At this point, Vienna Morale was at +3, with + gained for occupation of Regensburg, and +1 for Munich (although given its impact on the movement of French allies, this may need to be reconsidered).

Charles was suddenly feeling far bolder. At this point in GT8 (23-24th April), the weather turned after a run of fine days and rain clouds appeared. Having arrived at last, Napoleon began to order his scattered troops to recombine. In the south Massena and Oudinot used the rain squalls to sneak up on Hiller just south of Nandlstadt (W0633) and launch an attack. 50,000 French drove into Hillers 18,000 weary troops, pushing them back for a loss of 1,000 on each side…

We had run out of time by this stage, with 8 game turns having consumed about 4 hrs of play time.

The historical situation around the same time, once again from ‘Crisis on the Danube’

It is worth specifying the Austrian Corps structure .
Bellegarde- I ArmeeKorps
Kollowrat- II Armeekorps
Hohenzollern- III ArmeeKorp
Rosenberg- IV ArmeeKorps
Louis- V ArmeeKorps
Hiller – VI ArmeeKorps (Jelacic detached)
Liechtenstein- I Reserve Korps
Maximillian- II Reserve Korps

The French counterattack has begun, somewhat later than historically, but the Austrians are not as far advanced with their southern wing as was the case. This is counterbalanced by the fall of Regensburg and Passau.

So far, the new southern map extension has proven useful, allowing the Austrians more manoeuvre room to the south of Landshut. The crossing at Moosburg is already shaping up as being important, and the initial French push by Massena is being repeated in the game. If not a full map extension, then it would seem that an additional 5-6 hexes to the southern edge are beneficial.

Next session report:"In this position of affairs, I greatly desire the arrival of your majesty"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lokemoen
msg tools
I have always preferred the 2D stock market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fisher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I've always felt that this game seems very severe for attrition on the Austrian opening moves. Your comparison with the historical position would seem to confirm this. Fascinating to see how the extra map changes game play. Great stuff, keep it coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YourHighnessness wrote:

This game could be played on a Thurn and Taxis map, almost!

(Seriously, thanks for the session report!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
kingfisher1 wrote:
I've always felt that this game seems very severe for attrition on the Austrian opening moves. Your comparison with the historical position would seem to confirm this. Fascinating to see how the extra map changes game play. Great stuff, keep it coming.

I never like pushing the large formations too hard. NaB is an example where the Austrians under Schwarzenberg will evaporate quite rapidly, but if steadily advanced will eventually overwhelm the French.

In 1809 I think I have only suffered 2SP's via attrition so far. If I had attempted to push ahead to replicate the historical moves it would be 7-10SP's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
YourHighnessness wrote:

This game could be played on a Thurn and Taxis map, almost!

(Seriously, thanks for the session report!)

As we were playing we were lamenting the missing map portions in the North West where Bellegarde was manoeuvring ...an idea might be to update the game in a 2x format so that you could include as far as Ulm in the West and Tyrol/Italy in the South. That way you could include the advance of Eugene, the revolt in Tyrol and also add the 1805 campaign in the package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, now that's a very good idea. I wonder what games exist that could provide the necessary reference material for terrain in those areas? The ability to model the 1805 campaign would be a very nice addition to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
Wow, now that's a very good idea. I wonder what games exist that could provide the necessary reference material for terrain in those areas? The ability to model the 1805 campaign would be a very nice addition to the game.

I am sure there are some map sources somewhere, will put out a call for any suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With enough terrain south of the Danube (Switzerland) one might be able to recreate the earlier campaigns to subdue the Swiss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Map of Munich from 1800.

Using this as a reference will mean that my Southern extension map is amended. One hex of Munich will probably be classed as fortified and my two bridges over the Isar river will be changed to one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a neat map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.