$20.00
$60.00
Jay Sears
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mb
My daughter kept asking me for a horse board game, so I came up with one racing around a track. I put up a thread in the design queries and problems forum to get feedback and got some more mechanical suggestions. I play tested all the mechanics and came up with 2 different versions. The 2nd version is being worked on currently, which is a larger board at 18" by 18".

The graphic design was done by Richie Janukowicz at www.richiedigital.co.uk.

My DIY version

Richie's first draft version

free image upload

Objective of The Game
Apples & Mud involves selecting the lane to begin in and having a race around the track to try and finish in the top 3, or if playing with less than 3 players aim to win the race. Each lane is a different length and players must choose wisely where to start and when to change lane. When you land on an apple add onto your dice total amount, if you land on mud subtract from your dice total amount, and if you land on a carrot you collect a token. Carrots are used to strategise between changing lanes, moving off mud or adding to your dice(s) total amount.

How The Game Plays

On your turn you roll the correct number of dice and move the number of spaces indicated. The numbers on the dices are 1-3. In the bigger board version they are standard dices (1-6).

Players cannot occupy the same space. If you land on a space already occupied you may use a carrot token to move yourself forward. If you do not have a carrot token you automatically move however many spaces back, until you are on an unoccupied blank space that does not have an icon on it (i.e. apple, mud, and carrot).

If you land on mud subtract 2 from your next dice total. If you land on an apple add 2 to your next dice total. The bigger board version indicates on the board various + and - amounts which are from 1-4.

If you land on a carrot collect a token – you may use this from your next turn onwards.

If in the outer lane (3) you roll 3 dice and move the combined number of spaces indicated on all 3 dice. In the bigger board version you use 2 dice.

If in the middle lane (2) you roll 2 dice and move the combined number of spaces indicated on both dice. In the bigger board version only 1 dice (of your choice) is selected to indicate the number of spaces to move.

If in the inner lane (1) you roll 2 dice however, only 1 dice (of your choice) is selected to indicate the number of spaces to move. In the bigger board version you only roll 1 dice.

My daughter and I have been play testing this a lot and she loves it. She always reverted back to my original DIY version as she only liked going on apple and not mud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
So do you just trade in a carrot token on your turn to change lanes? It seems like it would be nice to start with 1 carrot token (maybe 1 apple as well) to give player some options. Otherwise theoretically a player could be stuck in 1 lane the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sears
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mb
lukedenby wrote:
So do you just trade in a carrot token on your turn to change lanes? It seems like it would be nice to start with 1 carrot token (maybe 1 apple as well) to give player some options. Otherwise theoretically a player could be stuck in 1 lane the whole game.

You need to land on the carrot icon to collect a token. Believe it or not you actually end up with about 1-2 on average after play testing. I will certainly keep in mind about giving players 1 to start with. Yes you trade in your carrot token if you want to change lanes. The good thing is, say your on the outer lane you roll the 3 dice and then change lane so you get a better move.

The theoretical of getting stuck is a reason behind that - decision and choice. The game allows players to make a choice before the game begins, just like in life you make choices and sometimes there are consequences, only this is a game. When I play tested it with my daughter she always wanted to go on the outside lane and never go into another - why? Because there's lots of apples in that lane.

Players don't collect apples they land on them to add +2 onto their next dice roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This look fun. If I get a chance I'll try it out over the weekend. At first glance, I'd suggest finding a way to better differentiate the tracks. Your DIY shows each clearly while the Richie's version blends together a little. It might show better on paper though. I will probably just use a orange sharpie between the lanes on mine.

Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sears
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mb
uniconfis wrote:
This look fun. If I get a chance I'll try it out over the weekend. At first glance, I'd suggest finding a way to better differentiate the tracks. Your DIY shows each clearly while the Richie's version blends together a little. It might show better on paper though. I will probably just use a orange sharpie between the lanes on mine.

Thanks for sharing!

Let me know how it goes, and any recommendation to improve it. Richie's is just a first draft to see how the graphics are. I will post some updates in the next few days.

Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sears
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mb
uniconfis wrote:

Thanks for sharing!

Did you get any play testing done at all?

I have an update on the board and a bigger version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gawaran
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
This is a very cute and simple concept!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.