Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Balazs Szendroi
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello guys, I would like to buy an expansion for my base game and Serpentmen. Someone who has both Frontier Town and Cinder could comment on the pros and cons of them and maybe which to choose first?

Also I might buy one more delux enemy pack, either the Void one or the mutated outlaws. Any opinion which one is more fun? (or maybe burrower or the hydra adds more fun?)

PS: I don't plan on buying the other core set since the asian core will come sooner or later, also I think adding the newer enemies (and soon heroes) are more varied than one more set of core 1.0 enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello Balazs!

Scafford Gang and Master of the Void are equally fun! I would get both actually.

As for expansion, get Frontier Town for now! Cynder adds more of the same, while Frontier Town expands the game.

They should list Trederra Deluxe Expansion soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Szendroi
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not a KS backer but bought a big lot from one, so I ended up getting everything at once and it was pretty overwhelming. You don't NEED anything other than the base set to have lots of fun (or I guess both base sets to get all 8 initial character types).

Caverns of Cynder isn't my favorite so far. I like the swamps and the ancient city better as alternate worlds. I have hopes for Trederra and the derelict ship when they come out. The Frontier Town is neat and has some interesting content but I'm not fond of being forced to go to an "alternate" town (like say a plague town) or the random population of the town because critical locations I need are often not there (no blacksmith or doctor). I think you have to house rule to make sure the new towns have at least the basics and only go to the alternate towns if you want to do so. But that said, I like Frontier town better because of the town adventures and the town board. It opens up a whole new style of play.

I also found I had to limit which of the many monsters I put in my decks initially because the later in time you go, the more powerful the monsters seem to be. You might want to use the standard ones to start and then move up to the later ones. Not sure what to recommend here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frontier Town was my second buy after Swamps of Death as it added 6 completely different adventures to the 12 mining/swamping already available in the core set and it gives, in my opinion, one of the best enemies to date, the bandits,that can be a real challenge and are well scaled for the number of Heroes. Watch out for those "Hail of bullets"

You also get a better choice of merchandise to buy (depending on the size of the town ), though the Expanded Travel Hazard Chart can be a bit rough with unlucky die rolls.

I recently bought Caverns at a knock down price, but options between adventures is more appealing for a starter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I assume you already have the second base set?
Because that's the best first expansion to get. Most bang for your buck and all that.

I'll throw my hat in with those saying frontier. Both expansions add 1 enemy type (lava men and bandits), but I can't imagine going back to using the base town rules, frontier is just so much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Stauffer
United States
Waxahachie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frontier town first then the second base set. Both are huge additions to the game in terms of content and fun. Cinder was a good expansion but didn't add remotely as much as the second base set does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I do like the Cynder missions, burning tile stuff, and the fact that it integrates pretty well with Swamps of Death (using hellbats and hungry dead as monsters), the Frontier Town changes the game in many more interesting ways. New ranged attack enemies, new mission map for town missions, scads of new locations with new gear to buy.

The only deluxe enemy set I bought yet was Masters of the Void. It felt like the most different option, and a good deal with two different types of enemies inside (melee beasts and ranged spellcasters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Szendroi
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you guys! Frontier town it is next . And maybe Masters of the void because enemy spellcasters seem to be fun enemy types, and Frontier town will cover the shooting bandits angle for now.

I don't have City of the antients for now and I see how it can add a lot of stuff, but as far as I see the later enemy packs offer more interesting gameplay, while City of the antients offers more basic stuff. (also I'll buy the new asian themed base set for 2nd base set).

Anyone has experience with the XL enemy packs? (I guess guardian is a no-no without City of the antients?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just have to say one more thing about ancients: it has most of my favorite core classes in it. And my absolute favorite: the us Marshal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
The Frontier Town is neat and has some interesting content but I'm not fond of being forced to go to an "alternate" town (like say a plague town) or the random population of the town because critical locations I need are often not there (no blacksmith or doctor). I think you have to house rule to make sure the new towns have at least the basics and only go to the alternate towns if you want to do so. But that said, I like Frontier town better because of the town adventures and the town board. It opens up a whole new style of play.

You can always have access to the doctor as they show up at the camp if there's no Doc's Surgery. But it is, as you suggest, very easy to just show up at a regular town if you so choose rather than a random one (though I'd use the new traveling chart still).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.