Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do these tags count for things? I assume yes, but it's never stated anywhere.

It also gives a pretty big advantage to certain things... for example, the mining corp with two brown building tags for free is basically guaranteed the builder milestone, since they are already most likely to get it. Might as well just print +5 VP on their corp card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree two building tags is a nice leg up. However, they'll only get the builder milestone if three other milestones aren't claimed first. Which is why the rulebook states it's a "race" to get the milestones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some cards have effects based on existing tags. That's when they count. Examples: satellites, medical lab, cartel, Miranda resort. Some cards have tags as requirements, the most usual is science tag requirements. And then you have the builder milestone and the scientist award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
Do these tags count for things? I assume yes, but it's never stated anywhere.

It also gives a pretty big advantage to certain things... for example, the mining corp with two brown building tags for free is basically guaranteed the builder milestone, since they are already most likely to get it. Might as well just print +5 VP on their corp card.

Yes, the tags count. And yes, the Mining Guild has a good chance to get the Builder milestone. But, as Matt said, only if 3 other milestones aren't claimed yet. And only if someone else doesn't claim Builder first. Draws are a bit random, and it takes a conscious effort to pull a milestone off. It often sets you back a little in other areas.
And the other corporations also have their favorite milestones and awards.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Love Nilsson
Sweden
Trelleborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
... for example, the mining corp with two brown building tags for free is basically guaranteed the builder milestone, since they are already most likely to get it. Might as well just print +5 VP on their corp card.

No and no. Unless you play with people that don't want to win. If you play Mining guild against people that want to win, other milestones will be claimed very early.

With just basic income gardener and mayor can be claimed in 3 generations and planner can be claimed generation 2 with certain companies. Not having studied it, I'd say it'd be very hard to claim builder sooner than generation 4 or 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Grabowski
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I quite agree, Love Nilsson. I have played Mining Guild before and lost the Builder award! Partly due to lack of building tag cards coming into my hand and partly due to the high cost of the few building tags that I DID get, while my opponent got several cheap ones. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.