Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar» Forums » Rules

Subject: when to draw the next card after Winter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Kouba

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmb
6.6 says "Play the next card from the draw deck and reveal the draw deck’s new top card"... I think that is common to most of the volumes in the series...

I've always taken that to mean you don't get to go through the Propaganda/Coup/Winter/whatever phase knowing what is coming, and what the next card (and faction order) will be be...

(LoD is different because the Winter card switches places with the next card.)

However, 2.3.7 says "move the draw deck’s top card onto the played card pile face-up and reveal the draw deck’s next card (even if the played card is Winter, 2.4)."

That seems to contradict 6.6, and seems to say if winter is the upcoming card, that becomes the current card and you draw the next upcoming card, so that you do get to go through Winter knowing what's coming...

I'm not sure if you get to see the next card after Winter or not as Winter starts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any conflict:

* you always have two face up cards (the played one and the next one);
* Rule 2.3.7 stresses that you always reveal the next card even if the played card (i.e., the card you've just moved onto the played cards pile) is a Winter one;
* Rule 6.6's last bullet point reminds you to play the next card (i.e., move it onto the Winter one you've just played through) and reveal the new next card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kouba

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmb
6.6 seems to infer you are drawing 2 cards from the deck, the next two after the Winter card... (in other words, you would be drawing the next current card, and the upcoming card after that...)

and so, you didn't draw one of those when the Winter card became the current card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule 6.6's last bullet point says:

Quote:
Play the next card from the draw deck and reveal the draw deck’s new top card (2.3.7).

The next card is the face up card on the draw deck; playing it means moving that card on the played cards pile (see Rule 2.2). In this way, the completed Winter card is covered. You proceed by revealing the draw deck's top card, which becomes the new next card and no card has been skipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any conflict either. The last statement in section 6.6 just tells to change cards as usual (just like after a regular turn).
Also the following note in 6.0 makes it clear that while playing the winter phase, you know what is coming:

Quote:
NOTE: The next card may be viewed normally during resolution of a Winter card (2.3.7).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kouba

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmb
ok, thanks... wow, I think I've been doing that wrong for a very long time..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There may be a number of decisions during a Winter Round (or Propaganda or Coup) for which it is helpful to know what the initiative order or Event will be right afterward. So, yes, players get that benefit, as during any other card.

For example, for Roman Quarters, it may matter to the Romans in deciding where to Winter and how much occupation beyond Provincia to pay for, who will get the first move after Spring.

Enjoy! Volko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.