Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd Grade? 2nd GRADE? Ah, since BGG has grown up with my kiddos', then they should always enjoy a little more Dax. He's starting Chess club this year.(Beats me 1/3 of the time)

Still a little handsome dude...and still with the hair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I believe you have mine...
badge
Bringing you quality product in the face of crushing indifference since 1970.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
My oldest starts High School tomorrow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I helped run my twins' school's chess club from when they were in 1st to 5th grade. It was great until the last year when some overzealous parents got involved. They actually wanted the kids to play by the proper rules instead of the hilarious house rules the kids were always making up.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
I helped run my twins' school's chess club from when they were in 1st to 5th grade. It was great until the last year when some overzealous parents got involved. They actually wanted the kids to play by the proper rules instead of the hilarious house rules the kids were always making up.

Hah! yeah. We go to an IB school, and they are into the philosophy of "No parents involved, fairness, yadda yadda"...That prevents parental overreach. Luckily we have a professional chess instructor that teaches the class, and apparently is really good. I think he's Russian, and carries a yard stick? Niet! *slap*

Chess, Serious Business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
MWChapel wrote:
shumyum wrote:

Hah! yeah. We go to an IB school, and they are into the philosophy of "No parents involved, fairness, yadda yadda"...That prevents parental overreach. Luckily we have a professional chess instructor that teaches the class, and apparently is really good. I think he's Russian, and carries a yard stick? Niet! *slap*

Chess, Serious Business.

I figured I'd risk stunting the next Bobby Fischer for the reward of not turning kids off board games. Actually, the biggest problem was that the overzealous parents set up a ladder tournament. Suddenly a club that had no fights for four years was total mayhem and tears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Rollins
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Your son is doing very well to be playing chess at his age. Can't think of a better education than growing up around games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrandorDaUncarryable wrote:
Congratulations! Your son is doing very well to be playing chess at his age. Can't think of a better education than growing up around games.

I've been playing Chess with him for a couple of years now. He actually tends to like the more abstract games, which surprised me...But he also likes games like Coconuts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Rollins
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I've been playing Chess with him for a couple of years now. He actually tends to like the more abstract games, which surprised me...But he also likes games like Coconuts

What specific games have you played with him? I know as a kid there were a ton of board games around that I played, but I can't recall any like what you'd see on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great choice of quote for the subject. It's good to see young kids learning chess at that age.

I enjoy playing games with my two girls and seeing them come into their own. My fifth grader is becoming more inquisitive about my game collection, and my third grader is learning to enjoy taunting me when we play the Wii together. Fun times at this age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrandorDaUncarryable wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

What specific games have you played with him? I know as a kid there were a ton of board games around that I played, but I can't recall any like what you'd see on BGG.

He like Carcassonne, Gemblo,ZÈRTZ, Ingenious...and a few others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter always loved abstract games at that age. She still does!

She shares that with me. I truly adore abstract strategy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mbmbmbmbmb
He's a good looking kid, and if he grows up to be even half the man his father is, I'd STILL tell him to stay away from RSP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.