Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are all of the best game conventions (e.g. Gen Con, Origins) in the damn Summer?!?

I love gaming but not when it is nice out. For god sakes, in Michigan we get about 3-4 months of decent warm outdoor weather a year. Last thing I want to do is coup myself up in a hotel and convention center for a long weekend...

Seems that it would be more intuitive to have Gen Con or Origins in cooler months. I realize that kids are out of school in the summer but these events are on weekends and could certainly leverage other planned school outages.

Oh, and Comic Con in San Diego in July?!? Ughh.

Am I the only geek with Summer outdoor aspirations?!?

/Rant off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
Says someone who lives in a state that hasn't had 30 straight days of over 100F weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I see blue skies and green trees and feel the sun gently warming my face as a cool breeze keeps me the perfect temperature all I can think to myself is "This is a perfect day to boardgame!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Says someone who lives in a state that hasn't had 30 straight days of over 100F weather.

touche!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
When I see blue skies and green trees and feel the sun gently warming my face as a cool breeze keeps me the perfect temperature all I can think to myself is "This is a perfect day to boardgame!"

Really? That actually saddened me a bit.

just a bit though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Because holidays and lots of free time so people can attend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In retrospect, I used to live in Ft Lauderdale.

It would seem better for southern states to have the conventions in the Summer for certain but us northerners might be bett off to have them in the cooler months. Gen Con and Origins both being nothern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Summer in Oklahoma usually means triple digits, ticks and tornados.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew I could count on geeks to skewer the best season of the year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some other big ones are in October like Essen... However, not in the US

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is about 50/50 for the Cons I care about in MI and the two in the summer are in September.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambersilk wrote:
Some other big ones are in October like Essen... However, not in the US

Euros always seem to be ahead of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just a matter of the summer being vacation time for most workers.

Other times of the year are wily-nily vacation weeks here and there. Some people may take their time in October and some may take their time in February.

But pretty much every American takes some vacation time off in the summer.

Plus, when you factor in teachers and kids, summer makes the most sense for destination-type conventions and activities. More people are likely to be able or willing to take off, in the summer than, say in the fall if you are rationing your weeks. So, more people can go to the events.

So, it's not the weather, but a function of our work routines and when most of us (can) take vacation time.

The other planned school outages are already spoken for. Very few people, I would think, are going to a GenCon during Thanksgiving or Christmas break. Usually, there are family obligations to deal with.

Many of these conventions would involve travel, so it is more than a weekend. WBC is also 9 days long and GenCon runs from Thursday.

It really just seems to me to be as simple as "More people are off or decide to take off in the summer, so that is when we want to run these things."

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
It's just a matter of the summer being vacation time for most workers.

Other times of the year are wily-nily vacation weeks here and there. Some people may take their time in October and some may take their time in February.

But pretty much every American takes some vacation time off in the summer.

Plus, when you factor in teachers and kids, summer makes the most sense for destination-type conventions and activities. More people are likely to be able or willing to take off, in the summer than, say in the fall if you are rationing your weeks. So, more people can go to the events.

So, it's not the weather, but a function of our work routines and when most of us (can) take vacation time.

The other planned school outages are already spoken for. Very few people, I would think, are going to a GenCon during Thanksgiving or Christmas break. Usually, there are family obligations to deal with.

Many of these conventions would involve travel, so it is more than a weekend. WBC is also 9 days long and GenCon runs from Thursday.

It really just seems to me to be as simple as "More people are off or decide to take off in the summer, so that is when we want to run these things."

Kevin

I get all of that. All very valid.

but this is about me and my chlidless nothern brothers and sisters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most of my responses.

Capitalism.

GENCON and Origins are four days long and both of the events are local events. People fly out. There were plenty of kids at GENCON, and really if you are not there for four days you are super rushed.

Now not everyone was a kid but even if we were conservative with the number and said that 1/10th of all GENCON attendees from 2015 were four day passes who wouldn't be able to do it if it wasn't summer due to any factors.

that's 61,423 attendees from 2015 X .1 which equals 6,142 people if we keep being conservative and say that they all bought early bird 4 day pass at 90 dollars that is a loss of 6,142 X 90 = 552,780 dollars.

I think that half a million dollars is a pretty important number.

edit: looks like I was 10 minutes late to post the response...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I always assumed GenCon and ComicCon were in the summer because that's when kids are off and can go to conventions.

Just because we grew up, doesn't mean these conventions weren't really targeting the younger crowd. I mean, my first GenCon was was in 1986, and I was 16. If it wasn't held in the summer, I would have never gone to GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because winter sucks in all possible ways.

Pete (tries his best not to even leave the house in winter)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Yeah, I always assumed GenCon and ComicCon were in the summer because that's when kids are off and can go to conventions.

Just because we grew up, doesn't mean these conventions weren't really targeting the younger crowd. I mean, my first GenCon was was in 1986, and I was 16. If it wasn't held in the summer, I would have never gone to GenCon.

We are the same age and I never went to Gen Con because it was in the summer! Boats, beaches and girls!

Would be nice if one of the 2 (Gen Con and Origins) was in the other seasons... But I know I am likely in the minority among boardgamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Does Pete acknowledge Fall and Spring?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Every November there is a boardgame event called BGG.CON which might interest you...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to travel from Michigan to a summer con, you can be confident you won't be snowed in at the airport. Winter... not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Every November there is a boardgame event called BGG.CON which might interest you...!

November in the DFW area is like Summer someplace sensible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Yes. It is not driving distance but it does. I think I looked into it a few years ago and it was sold out though that year. When do you need to decide by to safely get in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

This^
I would not want to trek through the snow with purchases or out to a food truck in the rain or cold. Plus can you imagine dragging a coat (plus hat and things) along with all the other stuff you normally pack for a day at the convention. Now I don't like it hot either but I have less of a chance of getting sick from going outside hot to inside air conditioning than inside warm to outside freezing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakermouse wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

This^
I would not want to trek through the snow with purchases or out to a food truck in the rain or cold. Plus can you imagine dragging a coat (plus hat and things) along with all the other stuff you normally pack for a day at the convention. Now I don't like it hot either but I have less of a chance of getting sick from going outside hot to inside air conditioning than inside warm to outside freezing.

I present to you:

Spring and Fall. Loving months, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.