Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am approaching 500 games and expansions in my collection.

...here it is...

I think I can only name a few game designers. This is almost as bad as my propensity to forget authors names of books I've read. Except I a not even forgetting as much as I never knew in the first place.

There are many games that have brought me and my family/friends much joy, especially over the past 6-8 years when I got into this hobby. Yet, I do not know the names of those responsible. I am not sure how to describe this? Self-centered, rude, a combination.

Anyway, time to turn over a new leaf a begin to learn some of the many names that have made this hobby enjoyable to me.

As an aside, I am also curious, who are some of your favorite (top 10) designers? Is it because of one great opus or proliferation of fun/good games?

I am hoping to one day be able to actually reply to my own question!
blushblushblush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure I could name more than 5 designers if I tried.

Ignacy ... umm yeah that should be enough. I think his last name starts with a T, but it's polish or something so impossible to spell. - games: Robinson Crusoe, 51st State Stronghold

Ummm... Alan R. Moon, he's the Ticket to Ride guy right?

Eric M. Lang Errr... the guy that does tons of CMON published stuff and Dice Masters. You know, crazy hair? - games: Dice Masters, Blood Rage, Arcadia Quest

James Ernest the cheapass games guy, James something? - games: Kill Dr Lucky, Pairs

Mike Selinker umm... the pathfinder adventure card game guy... - games: pathfinder adventure card game,

OK, so I am not good with names. Most of these are on the tip of my tongue I swear.

===================================================
Edited to add designers and example games above

I should have included Tim Fowers, the only designer I have ever met. - games: paperback, burgle bros

My A#1 game is Letters from Whitechapel and I have no idea who designed it. (Gabriele Mari, Gianluca Santopietro)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feld- many games
Knizia- many games
Matthias kramer - glen more, rococo, just ordered kraftwagen
Steve Finn - biblios
Rosenberg - patchwork, he does make some other decent games
Pfister - broom service, isle of Skye, Mombasa
And a bunch more
Bauza
Dorn
Chudyk
Luciani
Kiesling
Kramer
And more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance you guys can attach those designers to a few key games? Sorry to have to ask but i fugure you know it off the top of your head?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
I am approaching 500 games and expansions in my collection.

...here it is...

I think I can only name a few game designers. This is almost as bad as my propensity to forget authors names of books I've read. Except I a not even forgetting as much as I never knew in the first place.

There are many games that have brought me and my family/friends much joy, especially over the past 6-8 years when I got into this hobby. Yet, I do not know the names of those responsible. I am not sure how to describe this? Self-centered, rude, a combination.

Anyway, time to turn over a new leaf a begin to learn some of the many names that have made this hobby enjoyable to me.

As an aside, I am also curious, who are some of your favorite (top 10) designers? Is it because of one great opus or proliferation of fun/good games?

I am hoping to one day be able to actual reply to my own question!
blushblushblush

Still relatively new to the hobby, only about 2 years into it, but my favorite designer at current is Gil Hova. He just makes superb games with a lot of wit and humor in the games. For instance, the card "Delusional Singer" in The Networks is based on his girlfriend, but at her suggestion. Personally, I think those kinds of personal touches and stories make a game that much better. Granted, neither of the two games he's made are my all time favorite, but The Networks is definitely in my top 10. Bad Medicine would likely be up there too but it went OOP before I could get a copy.

Now my favorite game of all time is Firefly, but I rarely get it to the table these days. That's followed closely by Ascension. I've no idea who the designer is on Ascension though.

Other designers who's games I've not yet played but seem cool:
Jamey Stagmaier. I really want to play Scythe and Euphoria.
Eric Lang (I've got Blood Rage and The Others: 7 Sins but haven't played either yet).
Issac Childres (I backed Gloomhaven on KS but no delivery yet)
Seth Haitt of Mayday Games seems pretty cool. I've backed a couple of his games on KS, and recently received AssassinCon but haven't played it yet.
Ian Brody seems like a really decent fellow. I bought his game Quartermaster General about a year ago but haven't managed to get it to the table yet.
Sandy Petersen makes what appear to be really epic games. Cthulhu Wars and upcoming Glorantha seem awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glancing at my shelves now to check, I easily remember who designed the majority of my games. E.g. many fine clever little abstract strategy games by Néstor Romeral Andrés, great WW2 wargames with brilliantly written clear rulebooks by Chad Jensen, various modern euro classics by Reiner Knizia, the unique quirky style (and visual appearance) of Friedemann Friese's games, the huge setup variability of Donald X. Vaccarino's games, etc etc.

Yet, I am embarrassed and ashamed to say, I do not know who designed my 2 favorite games, the only 2 games I currently have rated 10!... wow

...They are the many-centuries-old games Go and Shogi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think this is anything to be embarrassed about at all. You don't need to learn who designed what just to earn "Geek Cred" or anything silly like that, but one potential upside to being familiar with designers is getting some sort of sense of how you'll like a game. I only pay attention to designers when I notice that I've enjoyed a few of their previous games, and it motivates me to maybe look a bit more of other games they've designed which I may otherwise not given a second glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
I don't think this is anything to be embarrassed about at all. You don't need to learn who designed what just to earn "Geek Cred" or anything silly like that, but one potential upside to being familiar with designers is getting some sort of sense of how you'll like a game. I only pay attention to designers when I notice that I've enjoyed a few of their previous games, and it motivates me to maybe look a bit more of other games they've designed which I may otherwise not given a second glance.

Except I would need to have noticed they did the previous games....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going purely off the top of my head (though I had to look up spellings for a few), for my list of my top ten favorite designers (I must have played at least two of their games), and the games of theirs I love most:

Antoine Bauza - 7 Wonders, Tokaido, Takenoko
Stefan Feld - Castles of Burgundy, Bruges, La Isla
Matt Leacock - Pandemic, Pandemic: The Cure, Forbidden Desert
Uwe Rosenberg - Agricola, Patchwork, Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Jamey Stegmaier - Viticulture, Scythe
Reinier Kniza - Lost Cities, Keltis
Bruno Faidutti - Citadels, Mascarade, Incan Gold
Alan Moon - Ticket to Ride series, Incan Gold
Tim Fowers - Paperback, Burgle Bros
Scott Almes - Kings of Air and Steam, Tiny Epic Kingdoms, Best Treehouse Ever

And a few designers that I've only played one of their games, but I'm sure that I'd like other games by them:

Friedemann Friese - Power Grid
Sen-Foong Lim/Jay Cormier - Belfort
Vlaada Chvatil - Codenames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
I'm going purely off the top of my head (though I had to look up spellings for a few), for my list of my top ten favorite designers (I must have played at least two of their games), and the games of theirs I love most:

Antoine Bauza - 7 Wonders, Tokaido, Takenoko
Stefan Feld - Castles of Burgundy, Bruges, La Isla
Matt Leacock - Pandemic, Pandemic: The Cure, Forbidden Desert
Uwe Rosenberg - Agricola, Patchwork, Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Jamey Stegmaier - Viticulture, Scythe
Reinier Kniza - Lost Cities, Keltis
Bruno Faidutti - Citadels, Mascarade, Incan Gold
Alan Moon - Ticket to Ride series, Incan Gold
Tim Fowers - Paperback, Burgle Bros
Scott Almes - Kings of Air and Steam, Tiny Epic Kingdoms, Best Treehouse Ever

And a few designers that I've only played one of their games, but I'm sure that I'd like other games by them:

Friedemann Friese - Power Grid
Sen-Foong Lim/Jay Cormier - Belfort
Vlaada Chvatil - Codenames

Thanks you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel bad about that at all. I'm a Christian and love garnering verses out of the Bible...but I couldn't tell you some of my favorite verses by Book/Chapter/Verse without googling the verse and THEN finding where it is located.

We are all wired differently with how we take in information...no matter how deeply we love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Ross
Ireland
Cork City
Co. Cork
flag msg tools
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
mbmbmbmbmb
I love gardening, but probably couldn't tell you the names of most of the plants in my flower beds. Their names aren't relevant to my enjoyment of them, so generally aren't a detail that I invest much gray matter in retaining.

Just enjoy your games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shell42970 wrote:
I love gardening, but probably couldn't tell you the names of most of the plants in my flower beds. Their names aren't relevant to my enjoyment of them, so generally aren't a detail that I invest much gray matter in retaining.

Just enjoy your games.

That is more like me not knowing the names of the games I play. Which I do. I just feel like I should know the names of some of the designers of my favorite games as well. Out of repsect really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given a bit of time to think about it, I could probably name the designer of about 75% of the games on my shelf.

My favorite three games are designed by:

D. Brad Talton Jr. - Millennium Blades
Vladimir Suchy - The Prodigals Club
Vlaada Chvatil - Dungeon Petz

I also like designs by Ignacy Trzewiczek (Robinson Crusoe), Eric Lang (Kaosball), Richard Launius (Defenders of the Realm), Tim Fowers (Paperback), Emerson Matsuuchi (Specter Ops).

I will admit to having to look up how to spell Trzewiczek though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
Given a bit of time to think about it, I could probably name the designer of about 75% of the games on my shelf.

My favorite three games are designed by:

D. Brad Talton Jr. - Millennium Blades
Vladimir Suchy - The Prodigals Club
Vlaada Chvatil - Dungeon Petz

I also like designs by Ignacy Trzewiczek (Robinson Crusoe), Eric Lang (Kaosball), Richard Launius (Defenders of the Realm), Tim Fowers (Paperback), Emerson Matsuuchi (Specter Ops).

I will admit to having to look up how to spell Trzewiczek though.

Wow, I dont think I could ever be that proficient. Unless I had 4 games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Comes with more time invested. I love movies, but I couldn't spout off one director for another while the next person over can.

Don't feel too bad; last year Eric Lang rang up my purchase at the CMON booth, and I had no earthly idea. Just said thanks and moved on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
Comes with more time invested. I love movies, but I couldn't spout off one director for another while the next person over can.

Don't feel too bad; last year Eric Lang rang up my purchase at the CMON booth, and I had no earthly idea. Just said thanks and moved on

I get that. But given the fun I have had playing Blood Rage while drinking Viking's Blod mead, I would like to be able to thank him if given the opportunity. More and more designers and artists outside of music and hollywood are overlooked.

Not trying to be overly serious, it is not life and death of course but I feel better now that I know his name. I really do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
I'm split between designers and companies. Although if I'm interested in a game, unless I really love the look of it, it helps to have an well-established designer behind it.

Sandy Petersen/Petersen Games - Cthulhu Wars and Glorantha (coming up on Kickstarter next week, yay).

Reiner Knizia - Tigris & Euphrates and Battle Line.

Level 99 Games - Millennium Blades and Argent: The Consortium.

Splotter Spellen - Food Chain Magnate. Got Roads & Boats, but unplayed. Indonesia and The Great Zimbabwe pre-ordered. I love interactive strategy games, they happen to make them exclusively.

Carl Chudyk - Love Mottainai. Like Impulse. Interested in Innovation Deluxe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
Still relatively new to the hobby, only about 2 years into it, but my favorite designer at current is Gil Hova. He just makes superb games with a lot of wit and humor in the games. For instance, the card "Delusional Singer" in The Networks is based on his girlfriend, but at her suggestion. Personally, I think those kinds of personal touches and stories make a game that much better. Granted, neither of the two games he's made are my all time favorite, but The Networks is definitely in my top 10. Bad Medicine would likely be up there too but it went OOP before I could get a copy.

I picked up The Networks at GenCon, and played it after I got back. really really enjoy the game, very interesting balance of immediate point scoring opportunities balanced with long term planning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
LukeTDG wrote:
I was going to stick to folks whose games I am playing and really enjoying at least two games of, but I will make an exception for the designer of a game that is part of my life - I also think he has a very cool name!:

Donald X. Vaccarino:
Dominion

I also give Vaccarino special credit for essentially creating (or at the very least popularizing) deckbuilding, which is definitely one of my favorite genres of games, even if Dominion isn't exactly my favorite deckbuilder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kramer - el grande
Knizia - Tigris and Euphrates, Samurai, battle line, Ra
Rosenberg - peaked at Agricola
olokta - one of the 3 cosmic encounter guys.
feld - the king of multiplayer solitaire
Lacerda - the gallerist, vinhos, kanban, some very heavy, 'single worker' high competition strat games. Often a high focus on opportunity costs, might be more opaque then many games out there.

Vlaada chivatl - through the ages, space alert, codenames, etc a highly varied catalogue, usually quite unique.

Chad Jensen aside from wargames the phenomenal dominant species, the rulebooks truly are that good.

C3Gaming wrote:

Splotter Spellen - Food Chain Magnate. Got Roads & Boats, but unplayed. Indonesia and The Great Zimbabwe pre-ordered. I love interactive strategy games, they happen to make them exclusively..

Interactive and splotter are not two words you are often in the same sentence. Especially with regards to roads and boats out antiquity. Fcm is even pretty light on interaction (no more than Puerto Rico), and similarly it if a lot about reading opponents and perfect anticipation more than some visceral interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Braindump:

Friese - Powergrid
Feld - Macao
Knizia - Ra
Kramer - Tikal
Kiesling - Vikings
Parlett - Ninety-Nine
Vanderbilt - Bridge
Sackson - Acquire
Jensen - Combat Commander
Borg - C&C
Costikyan - Pax Brittanica
Rowland - Empires in Arms
Vaccarino - Dominion
Breese - Inhabit the Earth
Bleasdale - Keyflower
Gerdts - Imperial
Rosenberg - Le Havre
Wallace - Steam
Moon - TTR
Harding - Cacao (should be Walker-Harding)
Garfield - MtG
Alspach - Suburbia
Jackson - Illuminati
Schacht - Coloretto
Kendall - Canal Mania
Bornhoffer - St Petersburg (should be Brunnhofer)
Maltz - Edo (should be Malz)
Boydell - Snodonia
Stockhausen - Orleans
Pfieffer - Port Royal (should be Pfister)
Chvátil - Dungeon Lords (stopping on a hard one to spell)

One of my favourite things is that the designer's name is on the box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfgang Kramer and Reiner Knizia are my favorite designers, but there are some more also worth mentioning.

Wolfgang Kramer - His best known game is El Grande, but my favorites are Asara, Tikal, Tikal II: The Lost Temple, Mexica, The Swarm, Java.

Reiner Knizia - From his most popular designs, Taj Mahal is the only one among my favorites, which also include Blue Moon City, Blue Moon, Dragonland, Star Trek: Expeditions and Dream Factory.

Michael Kiesling - Vikings and various games in collaboration with Kramer, already mentioned above.

Rüdiger Dorn - Jambo, Steam Time, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Titania, Dragonheart.

Vlaada Chvátil - Galaxy Trucker, Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends, Dungeon Petz.

Michael Schacht - Known for Coloretto and Zooloretto, but I prefer China, Africana and Felinia.

Bruno Faidutti - Citadels, Mission: Red Planet, Ad Astra.

Bruno Cathala - Cyclades, Abyss, Five Tribes, Mr. Jack.

Klaus Teuber - Responsible for all the Catan games, but my favorite is Domaine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
Any chance you guys can attach those designers to a few key games? Sorry to have to ask but i fugure you know it off the top of your head?

None of those guys designed any Key games.

You're looking for

Richard Breese - Keywood, Keydom, Keytown, Keythedral, Key Harvest

Sebastian Bleasdale - Keyflower

David Brain - Key Market

(posted jokingly )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrilly Philly
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with OP. Have never took the time to look at any of the designers names, despite how much I enjoy a game. Will start paying more attention to them, may lead me to other good finds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.