Mike M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to play this game with the 'normal' rules with 2 players without doing the Against the Trust variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but the general consensus from the original Power Grid was that the 2-player game is not that compelling. There simply is not enough competition in the auctions, resource market, or the map. Power Grid: The Robots helps (and you can think of The Trust as a custom robot), by tightening up the competition and providing another couple of dials for the players to manipulate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xenongames wrote:
Yes, but the general consensus from the original Power Grid was that the 2-player game is not that compelling. There simply is not enough competition in the auctions, resource market, or the map. Power Grid: The Robots helps (and you can think of The Trust as a custom robot), by tightening up the competition and providing another couple of dials for the players to manipulate.

I've played it solo against three of the robots and had a very good game with one of the robots that I beat only because I had more money as we both fired up the needed amount on what would be the final turn. One robot did extremely poor, only firing six plants I believe, and another one did okay firing 12 plants in the end. So, I imagine the two live players against a robot or two would be a good game. Agree though that just two players might not be very competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Against the Trust variant is simple, elegant, and plays great. Look no further!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play it without the Trust, but I wouldn't. With two people I find it is much better with the Trust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. There's just something in my mind that says I have to play the game the vanilla way before trying any 'variants' so I can know how good the 'variant' is. I've played numerous games of power grid at 4-6 players but never at 2. I can see how the auction market would be kind of limited with only 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theycallmemorty wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. There's just something in my mind that says I have to play the game the vanilla way before trying any 'variants' so I can know how good the 'variant' is. I've played numerous games of power grid at 4-6 players but never at 2. I can see how the auction market would be kind of limited with only 2 players.

This isn't that kind of variant. If anything playing without the variant will not feel much at all like traditional Power Grid with more players. It was designed specifically to emulate the cycling of the auction cards and tightness in resources and map that comes with more players.

Again, don't even hesitate. With 2P this is absolutely the way to go. Just look at the player count polls. There's a reason why Power Grid is not recommended by 71% of people with 2p, while Power Grid Deluxe is the exact reverse with 71% recommending it with 2p. That reason is the Against the Trust rules that were published with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
theycallmemorty wrote:

This isn't that kind of variant. If anything playing without the variant will not feel much at all like traditional Power Grid with more players. It was designed specifically to emulate the cycling of the auction cards and tightness in resources and map that comes with more players.

Again, don't even hesitate. With 2P this is absolutely the way to go. Just look at the player count polls. There's a reason why Power Grid is not recommended by 71% of people with 2p, while Power Grid Deluxe is the exact reverse with 71% recommending it with 2p. That reason is the Against the Trust rules that were published with it.

Is the new two player rules better than the robots ones? I've been debating power grid but been holding off since we mainly play with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Is the new two player rules better than the robots ones? I've been debating power grid but been holding off since we mainly play with two.

I think so. I was actually quite surprised by how well it played since the auction is so central to PG and there are precious few auction driven games that are great with only 2p.

Against the Trust is a rare 2p variant that works extremely well without being at all fiddly and is more streamlined than most.

PG Deluxe is great with a group but it's well worth owning even if it will only ever get played with two. (At this point we've played as many games 2p as we have multiplayer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about deluxe vs getting the base game and older expansions using the new variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

(Caveat: I've only played with the Robots, not with the Trust.)

For me, the Robots are cool since you can choose the number of AI opponents you play with, and each one is randomly/arbitrarily constructed of various sub-behaviors (for auction, for resource buying, for building, for special power, etc) so that each time you play you can have significantly different Robot opponents. AFAIK the Trust is the same every time, and is always a single AI opponent. Also the Trust as published is specifically for 2-human games, whereas you can add Robots as published to a game with more than 2 players, or even (unofficially) play solitaire vs Robots.

Of course the tradeoff is that the Robots rules are evidently a bit more complex and fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The robots do sound cool then. With them in mind what expansions are compatible with the robots?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
The robots do sound cool then. With them in mind what expansions are compatible with the robots?

AFAIK every map and promo card expansion is (at least all the many ones I've played with were, and I can't imagine any reason why the others wouldn't be) and the extra power plant deck is.

The expansion Power Grid: The Stock Companies (which adds a meta-layer of stock ownership/buying/selling in the companies operating on the map) is not compatible with the Robots (nor presumably with the Trust).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

AFAIK every map and promo card expansion is (at least all the many ones I've played with were, and I can't imagine any reason why the others wouldn't be) and the extra power plant deck is.

The expansion Power Grid: The Stock Companies (which adds a meta-layer of stock ownership/buying/selling in the companies operating on the map) is not compatible with the Robots (nor presumably with the Trust).

But the stock expansion says compatible with the
deluxe version and 2-6 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
russ wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

The stock module adds a whole new set of stock buying/selling actions to the game. The Robots (and AFAIK the Trust) do not have any rules to deal with stock buying & selling. So I suppose that the stock expansion being compatible with the deluxe version and 2-6 players means 2-player without the Trust, but I don't know. The rules are all downloadable, so you can check for yourself; I see no mention of "stock" in the Deluxe rules and no mention of "trust" in the stock rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

The stock module adds a whole new set of stock buying/selling actions to the game. The Robots (and AFAIK the Trust) do not have any rules to deal with stock buying & selling. So I suppose that the stock expansion being compatible with the deluxe version and 2-6 players means 2-player without the Trust, but I don't know. The rules are all downloadable, so you can check for yourself; I see no mention of "stock" in the Deluxe rules and no mention of "trust" in the stock rules.

I'll take a look at them but I'm not too familiar with the game.. Was trying to decide which way to go (base game/robots or deluxe). The more expansions/options the better for us in the long run.

Thanks for the insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the Deluxe edition doesn't have any expansion maps yet, that's because it was designed to have far more variability built into the box than the original PG. The market has a randomized starting set up and you only play with a fraction of each map which now have more playable segments. (7 each on two maps vs 6 on one)

For 2p games there are more than 25 different combinations of playable map sections between the North America and Europe sides.

If you actually manage to play it so much that you're hankering for even more, you should be able to use the compatibility kit + new plants deck as suggested in the other thread you replied to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
russ wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

+d10-1 I don't see how Power Grid: The Stock Companies would work with Robots. Robots is about an autonomous player and Power Grid: The Stock Companies is about the companies running things. Personally I wouldn't even try them together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.