SPQR (Deluxe Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Double depth - Magnesia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
José Herrera
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished playing Magnesia using the historical setup, and now I am planning on moving on to the free deployment and ZamaII scenario rules.

About doube depth formation:

-I assume 6.68 applies to double depth phalanxes. Specifically, bullet 4 means all cohesion hits are divided equally among both phalanxes, meaning cohesion hits both from TQ checks and from combat.

So if a dd TQ 6 Seleucid phalanx is charged by LG, and rolls a 9 in its pre schock TQ check, it takes 1 cohesion hit for each phalanx, 2 in total (since it gets a -1 drm when defending, 9.53 bullet 3). It would then have to roll again for the rear phalanx, since it failed the 1st TQ check (9.53 bullet 5), and again divide possible hits equally. If the unit then suffered another 2 cohesion hits in the clash of spears and swords, it would again divide them equally. In this example, at the end of combat the unit would have 2 cohesion hits on each phalanx (assuming it passed the second pre schock TQ check).

This is how I intended to play it yesterday, although in the end the dd phalanxes didn't even make contact before the Seleucid army was broken so it didn't matter much. It is how I applied hits to the HI Argyraspides though, which brings me to my second question.

-At Magnesia, Argyraspides can use double depth. 9.53 bullet 2 says phalanx defence, 9.41, applies to PH units in double depth, but I am unsure if Argyraspides, being HI, may benefit from phalanx defence. They still seem rather vulnerable to frontal charges from LG infantry if they don't, which feels a bit odd since these units should basically behave like 1-hex phalanxes,.. right?. However, used aggresively they were able to stand up the LG in the initial clash in my last game, and the battle was lost elsewhere with the Argyraspides still engaged and doing well against Principes and Cohorts.

-Finally, on another note, I think I read somewhere that Harassment & Dispersal can only be used once per game turn by SK units, but I find no reference to that in the main rulebook. Not that it makes that much of a difference, but I would like to confirm. Also, does the H&D attack count as the unit moving? (+1 drm to Slingers and Archers). I'm supposing it doesn't since you don't actually move the counter, but would again like to confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.