Playing NATO: The Next War in Europe for the first time, I have some questions, I hope you can help me!
1. Offensive Support doubles attack strength. The same effect occurs if the defending unit is completly surrounded by enemy ZOC and not adjacent to another friendly unit.
If both cases are in effect, do I have to double the strength points two times (for example 6 -> 12 -> 24)?
2. Ground Units (except HQ) can be destroyed by air attacks, right (unlike other games like Gulf strike)?
3. If the HQ of a soviet army is destroyed, the remaining combat Units cannot attack anymore and are out of supply for the rest of the game (if in enemy territory)?
4. A combined attack of two soviet armies against a single hex occupied by the Defender isn't allowed, right?
5. Helicopter/Fla-Rules: The dice is rolled every time a tranported unit moves from one ZOC to another (i.e. crossing the hexside). If the unit just landed in the enemy ZOC coming from a non-ZOC hex, no Fla occur? This wouldn't be very realistic!?
6. Rail interdiction: Is it a permanent effect? If yes, do you round down the capacity to the next 4-step (0/4/8/12) in case of destroying just 2 steps?
Thanks in advance for your help
My interpretation of the rules:
1. Offensive support and surrounding would stack. So the overall bonus would be x4. This makes sense to me based on the Combat Modifiers rule on the back of the NATO/Warsaw chart sheets that states: "Once all these cumulative modifiers are taken into account for each attacking unit..." Keyword "cumulative"
2. Yes, Ground Units steps are destroyed by the Air Strike results table.
3. If the HQ is destroyed, the remaining units are out of supply and attack at half strength. But they may still attack. (Defend at full strength however: Rule 152)
4. Combined attacks OUT of a single attack from multiple formations is not allowed. But I didn't see anything about combined formation attacks against a single enemy hex. So long as the different formation units attack out of different hexes. (Rule 084)
5. Huh, it looks like you are correct and I was playing that one wrong! I thought entering the ZOC hex would cause a flak roll. Oops! (Rule 143)
6. Rail Interdiction is semi-permanent. Each hit on the Rail Interdiction chart is a box, not a point that is reduced. (So up to 3 boxes or 12 points possibly lost if 3 Air points are used and a 6 is rolled). It's only semi-permanent because each turn during the Joint Interdiction removal phase each player gets 1 rail box back (up to the starting maximum) (Rule 026)
Hope that helps, and if anyone sees something I got wrong let me know. I just started playing this game a week or 2 ago and it's been fun.
thank you very much for the quick answer.
How could I get the rail capacity/interdiction rules so wrong? It’s so simple and clear, embarrassing….