The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Question about deckbuilding and number of sets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Devos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing the idea behind LCG's (and loving it) I am a fan of deckbuilding. However I am not a fan of spending vast amounts of money. Hence is why I have yet to buy multiple expansions for the LCG I currently own (I am actually enjoying the gameplay the core-set alone gives me plenty). My main problem with it is with the fact you basically have to buy the core-set and any expansions with cards you want 3x to make a good competitive deck.
Now my question for this game: Is this also a must/highly adviced even though its co-öperative and (as far as I have understood) has no competitiveness (competitivity?) at all. I have a really big interest in this game but this would honestly throw me off from buying it altogether.

It is not only the costy part that is a problem to me (In the long run I wouldnt mind paying alot for a game that gives me alot of joy). But what really makes me less interested in this is the useless cards in these sets (not even including the regular deck cards that you dont wnat to use).
So this game brings along with normal player cards, also Hero cards and quest cards. both of which are completely useless as far as I understand to have double. Big boxes come with 3-ish quests and 2-4ish hero's. All this is thrown away money if you buy multiples?

TLDR; Is this game enjoyable and decent (and not to forget, manageable on the harder quests) when only buying 1 of each expansion/big box (perhaps the core set twice for multiplayer, but i'm not even sure about doing that.) or is deckbuilding here the same as "regular" competitive LCG's where you basically NEED doubles and triples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The core is the only thing that doesn't have three of each card. All the expansions - deluxe, AP, saga - have three copies of each player card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike the core set, each expansion contains 3 copies of all player cards (other than the heroes, of which there's only one copy). You never need multiple copies of an expansion.

This is actually true in all LCGs, I believe - two or three cores (depending on the game), and only one copy of each expansion.

ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't a game where you need more than one core to be super-competitive. This isn't even a game where you need to be super-competitive. If stuck bring a friend, or play two-handed.

Looking at it from the MtG perspective of only wanting the best cards is entirely wrong. There are few bad cards (and some of them may become great because of a future card or keyword they add). You don't pick three heroes and never change ever again. This is a more casual game.

People don't go into LotR to play each quest once and be done with it. Try hobbits one day, try all Rohan another, or try replicating the team-up from the books. You're not guaranteed to succeed at every quest anyway

Also, each cycle of one deluxe + 6 adventure packs is seen as one set, so just getting the deluxe boxes means you're skipping the story (and useful cards for different archetypes/mechanics). It's more about the story in this game, unlike duelling games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Devos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh, i did not know there were 3 copies of every card in expansions...
thanks alot for the info, this makes buying the game a no-brainer to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the one car and don't miss 2nd or 3rd, but I know many players have gotten additional cores (many haven't as well). The fact is, IMO, once you get 2-3 cycles in, you don't miss the extra core cards because there are alternatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
To give an example of one way you can do it, I own 3 x core and all sets apart from most Nightmare decks and the latest Grey Havens cycle.

From all this I currently have 7 thematic decks:

Ent/Hobbits
Dunedain
Gondor/Outlands
Wood Elves
High Elves
Rohirrim
Dwarves

When I play a scenario I play each deck against them and then tweak each when I'm thrashed on the first attempt (which I usually am). This means hours of fun for each scenario! I play solo so there's no competition, no stress - it's simply the deck against the scenario and I immerse myself in the game.

P.S The only deck that can beat each scenario without many changes are the Dwarves. My favourite though is the Ents/Hobbits - really fun thematic deck which I always enjoy playing with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only things I miss out of an extra core are the threat dials and an extra Sneak Attack

Everything else I can manage without.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One can find the extra cards cards needed to have 3 copies of the ones in the Core Set (if you want them) on eBay, with no need to buy two other complete sets.

You can also buy two extra dials if you want

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked the prices. Just the extra set of 2x cards with shipping is nearly the price of a core to me! And that doesn't include a completion set of the 1x cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, true: according to where you live, the shipping costs can be a killer blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I need a second core I'll just wait for it to reappear at the cheapest place. It's $35 when they have it, shipping included

Anyway, you get far more bang for your buck if you get expansions, especially later sets where they support new mechanics not found in the core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voske4000 wrote:
... and any expansions with cards you want 3x to make a good competitive deck.

In the dark times of the first cycle of Warhammer: Invasion that was actually the case (they had 40 card expansions back then, with some cards being in 1-ofs, 2-ofs, or 3-ofs). They quickly realized the error of their ways, however, and from then on it was only 60 card expansions with 3-ofs all the way for all the LCGs.

So, yeah, only the Core Sets are different in that you might want 2 or 3 copies, depending on how complete you want your deck building set to be.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.