Hide
11 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Yep, another noob please review my deck thread ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jörg Weiß
msg tools
... everyone seems to hate those. But: Bear with me. I don't want an easy road to a kicka*s deck. Its my first deck, I've been playing and testing it for two weeks or so. Now I'd like to get some feedback on my thought process. Sooo ... don't flame me? Please? Pretty please?

Ok, here it goes. It's a shaper deck, with starter pack Kate. I own the deluxe expansions (except for Honor & Profit), the complete Genesis cycle as well as the first two data packs from the Spin cycle.

I did not follow any pre-built, but tested and expanded the deck as I was buying cards. The idea was to wrap my mind around shaper first - I like tinkering.

The idea here is to constantly increase my options the longer the match goes (Same old Stuff, Clone Chip, Test Run and Scavenge). I try to pressure F&E (Maker's Eye) and HQ (HQ Interface), so the corp has to spread its ICE thin. In late game, it seems to be really tough to lock me out of any server - especially, if I know what to expect and can adapt (Recon + Femme Fatal/Faerie/Cyber Chiffre + Scavenge). Economy works beautifully since I included the Prepaid VoicePad (yesterday ).

Questions:

Any glaring mistakes? Am I missing an obvious opportuntiy in my card pool? Is this what a typical Shaper deck should look like or is it an abomination against the very idea of Netrunner? Suggestions for another barrier breaker? Corroder is nice, but doesn't fit the concept of the deck really well. I'd like to have another one that gets a nice boost everytime it is played - or can be sacrificed for something. Basically sth. like Cyber Chiffre and Faerie for barriers.

Any thoughts welcome

Kate "Mac" MacCaffrey

Economy (13 cards)

Dirty Laundry x3
Professional Contacts x2
Kati Jones x2
Sure Gamble x3
Prepaid VoicePad x3

MU (1 card)

Omni-drive x1

Ice Breaking (5 cards)

Femme Fatal x1
Corroder x1
Faerie x1
ZU.13 Keymaster x1
Cyber Chiffre x1

Drawing Cards (3 cards)

Diesel x3

Handling Cards (14 cards)

Self-Modifying Code x 2
Test Run x 3
Scavenge x3
Same Old Thing x3
Clone Chip x3

Winning (6 cards)

The Maker’s Eye x2
Inside Job x1
Stim Hack x1
HQ Interface x1
Tinkering x1

Fluff (3 cards)

Infiltration x1
Motivation x1
Recon x1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carrizales
United States
Burnsvielle
Minnesota
flag msg tools
One quick thing, I think that Professional Contacts is one of those cards that if you don't see it in the beginning, it won't pull its weight. So I would include 3 of those if I include any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's advisable to have a pair of programs against each type of ICE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Weiß
msg tools
@professional contract: I've probably been lucky so far ... in most of my games, I just enjoyed having it early.

@breakers: I'm not sure what to pick for a second barrier breaker. Corroder is nice and simple - and seems to be a good choice for a run of a mill barrier breaker - but all the others seem to be kinda clunky/expensive.

So far, with all the options of picking and choosing my breakers, it's going rather well . but if it is a high power barrier, I either pay a lot with Corroder (e.g. Heimdall 2.0 --> 8 creds) or use Femme Fatal. Another more fun option would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the VoicePads really pulling their weight? With Lucky Find they often do, but you aren't using that here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
gegenzeit wrote:
I'm not sure what to pick for a second barrier breaker.

A second copy is what I meant. You have 5 breakers TOTAL in your deck!
The corp is going to have an easy time destroying your breakers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
But he has 3x Clone Chip.

Speaking of which...why 3x Clone Chip? Seems excessive for what you have. Typically you pair up the chips with something like D4vid, Parasite, or Lady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Weiß
msg tools
I wanted to only use every breaker once and get what I need with SMC, Test Run or the Clone Chips. The Clone Chips are also meant for replaying Faerie (e.g. if I meet more than one sentry per run). I stuck to that idea during the whole evolution of the deck - but I'll think about it again.

I'd probably use Lucky Find, but I don't have it yet. The VoicePad still worked well in the games I had (e.g. for Test Run and Sure Gamble). But you're right, I'd like to have more events to bounce of the pads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll need another Killer. You'll find a single Faerie doesn't go far even if all your recursion is dedicated to it and Femme Fatale is ridiculously expensive both to install and to boost strength. If your opponent puts an Ichi on a central, you're not going to be going into that central very often for the rest of the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any feedback that hasn't already been brought up, but I wanted to say that I like your card categories and how you think about the purpose of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell

Oklahoma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Motivation and Recon are doing nothing for you. In the case of recon, it's eating influence.

Your basic skeleton is good - but I want to echo what the others have said about Clone Chip being instant-speed. I see what you're trying to do with them by recurring Faeries, but that gets you one-two runs at most against stacked sentries, which they will put down the second you install a Faerie.

You aren't running Levy AR Lab Access, so that'll be all you get. Don't get me wrong, Faerie is an amazing ICEbreaker, but you'll get more mileage backing it up with a D4V1D. Faerie is about early aggression and walking through a fat sentry once. Kate to me is about building a strong mid-game leading to a terminal state where she Index-Maker's Eye combos you and there is nothing you can do to stop her.

Additionally, I can see no reason why this deck should run Zu over Gordian Blade. You don't have to worry about influence, you get a discount on the install, and it's arguably the best decoder in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.