Hide
9 Posts

Here I Stand» Forums » Rules

Subject: DoW with natural allies - quick question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Clemm
msg tools
Playing a game tomorrow (all first-timers) and had one quick question. If I am, say, the Pope and the Ottomans declare ware on Venice I may play 2 CP to joint the war and, functionally, take over.

My question is the 2CP - If I only have a 5CP card may I play that for the two and then use the rest as CP later? Do I lose any extra CP in playing for control of that power?

I'm just not sure what to do in a situation where the major/natural ally doesn't have a 2CP card waiting in their hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Harmony, liberal intercourse with all nations, are recommended by policy, humanity, and interest.
mbmbmbmbmb
You lose excess CPs. Unless the Ottomans have Machiavelli, though, you certainly have, at worst, a 3 CP card with which to respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Czonk72 wrote:
Playing a game tomorrow (all first-timers) and had one quick question. If I am, say, the Pope and the Ottomans declare ware on Venice I may play 2 CP to joint the war and, functionally, take over.

My question is the 2CP - If I only have a 5CP card may I play that for the two and then use the rest as CP later? Do I lose any extra CP in playing for control of that power?

I'm just not sure what to do in a situation where the major/natural ally doesn't have a 2CP card waiting in their hand.

Yes, unless you have the Venetian Alliance card to play it's 2cp.

Since DOW on minors only occurs in the Diplomacy phase, it's doubtful that ALL your cards are 5's..worst case use Leipzig Home Card as a 3 if that is your concern.

And yes, if you spend 'extra' it's wasted; consider DOW'd something like Genoa?; though, that might be wasted as difficult to do or some major acquires Genoa and forces you to back off or go to war with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
You lose excess CPs. Unless the Ottomans have Machiavelli, though, you certainly have, at worst, a 3 CP card with which to respond.

Dave,

Remember, Mach only plays against Majors; Venice is safe from mid-turn DOW's. Otts might Mach the Papacy, but Venice will not be involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tabpub wrote:
Czonk72 wrote:

Since DOW on minors only occurs in the Diplomacy phase, it's doubtful that ALL your cards are 5's..worst case use Leipzig Home Card as a 3 if that is your concern.

And yes, if you spend 'extra' it's wasted; consider DOW'd something like Genoa?; though, that might be wasted as difficult to do or some major acquires Genoa and forces you to back off or go to war with them.

Wait, you can spend the same card for both DOW and intervention?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
tabpub wrote:
Czonk72 wrote:

Wait, you can spend the same card for both DOW and intervention?

Why would you think not? They are not exclusive in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought intervention was done immediately, I didn't realize you could wait until your own segment to decide on intervention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's not that you wait to decide. It's that you wait til after all DOWs and interventions to discard/pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
I thought intervention was done immediately, I didn't realize you could wait until your own segment to decide on intervention.

The intervention IS immediate; the payment is at the end...refer to
===============================
Follow the DOW
procedure below, totaling the CP costs of all declarations/interventions
made by each power. When all powers have completed the
procedure, each declaring or intervening power then plays one or
more cards from his hand with a CP value that is equal to or greater
than their total CP expenditure.
=====================================

So, that's how you do it; you don't have to pay a card for both, nor commit to what to use until it's time to pay the total cost in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.