Subject: This Game Rocks, Don't Be A Boar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Terrana
United States
LaGrange
Georgia
flag msg tools
A previous poster ranted about how this game "sucked". The discussion apparently turned even nastier than the original post, it was closed to further comment, and so I could not give a subjective or objective opinion on the merits of this great game. Subjectively I love this game and I have been gaming for half a century, but still I recognize that this is just my opinion, not everyone's. However, objectively in the four games I have played in at different points and locales, EVERY gamer that played it (and we played with anywhere from 5 to 7 gamers each game) liked this game and would play again. There were newbs and ringers in each game. That is a very strong objective indicator that this game is a keeper. But again, I will defer to those who insist that just because 20 out of 20 folks liked the game, there will always be the one who is the "expert gamer" and who insists that this game "sucks".

Now I am not criticizing those who dislike this game because it is just not their cup of tea. I dislike many games myself that others absolutely adore, but I will not play them just because they sit at a high rank on the BGG Hotness. And I understand those who may not like Caverna, but please, when you start the fear and loathing, the rock throwing (stone anyone?) at a game or group, then the only sucking I hear is what's coming from your keyboard.

However, to address some of the prior poster's issues, Caverna is indeed a labor of love to set up and put away. And YES, if you do not know the game at first and are new to this system, it is also a chore to constantly get up and look at the various tiles available for building. It is a chore to keep restocking each card/space every round. There should be a tray of resources on both sides of the table so that all parties in the game do not have to reach so far (this game takes up a lot of table space). And lastly, it is very long to play if you have 5-7 players, which I enjoy playing with. And yet it is one of the very few games in my collection that I will play that has such a long play-time. Nonetheless, I love this game so much that win or lose, first or last, I will play again and again. I pimped out my game with the Broken Token organizer and also went for the customized wooden animal/resource meeples, which if you love this game, are worth the extra cost. I hope that Uwe will one day come up with a worthy expansion.

So this game may not be to your liking but many of us do enjoy it and are also hardcore war-gamers (which I am) and/or avid Euro-gamers (there again). Keep on rocking that stone! My apologies for being so lengthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
...not a session?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are a few excellent 1 page spreadsheets in the files section with all the buildings and their properties on them. I printed out 5 and give one to each player. Saves a ton of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Terrana
United States
LaGrange
Georgia
flag msg tools
Charles, thanks, was unaware of such player aids until you mentioned them. Have printed off several and will laminate them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Francois
Belgium
Bruges
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the pointer towards the spreadsheets !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.