Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lava flow states "raise temp 2 steps and place this tile on either Tharisis Tholus, Ascraeus Mons, or Arsia mons (sp)" what happens if those places are occupied?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think the card is unplayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wondered if a temperature rise of two steps results in a TR increase of 2. I think the answer is yes, but every example I looked at in the rulebook showed a single TR increase for a single temp/O2/ocean increase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wheeler
United States
Sanford
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
I would think the card is unplayable.

Or the lava flow destroys whatever is on the space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If all those places are occupied, you can't play it.
And each increased step is 1 TR. This card gives 2 TR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJunon wrote:
Lava flow states "raise temp 2 steps and place this tile on either Tharisis Tholus, Ascraeus Mons, or Arsia mons (sp)" what happens if those places are occupied?

It can't be played.
Being able to perform a card's effects is mandatory except effects that * raise a parameter that has already reached its goal, * adds resources you can't collect, or * removes resources from an opponent and you can't or don't want to do that (Page 9 in the rules).

Raising the temperature 2 steps gives 2 steps of TR. That's why the cost is relatively high.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Hamtzany
msg tools
And if 1 of the 3 locations is free? You can play it for 1 temp increase (and 1 TR) or is it all or nothing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All or nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
UAF1 wrote:
And if 1 of the 3 locations is free? You can play it for 1 temp increase (and 1 TR) or is it all or nothing?

Not sure what you mean. If there is an available legal area for the tile, you can place it there and get the full effect.
And yes, if there is only 1 step left of the temperature scale, then you do that 1 step and get 1 TR.
But if you can't place the tile, you can't play the card at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Hamtzany
msg tools
Fryxen wrote:
UAF1 wrote:

Not sure what you mean. If there is an available legal area for the tile, you can place it there and get the full effect.
And yes, if there is only 1 step left of the temperature scale, then you do that 1 step and get 1 TR.

I misunderstood the original question as if the card orders you to place 2 tiles in 2 of 3 locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Fryxen wrote:
UAF1 wrote:

Hey Jacob, how come you are unable to play the card because you can't place the tile?
The rules explicitly point out (in the example text to B) that
Rules, page 10 wrote:
A tile must be placed if possible, but being
unable to do so does not prevent you from playing the card

According to this sentence, you can always play cards like these, but you may not get the effect if its dependent on the tile being placed (i.e. Mining Rights).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastinator1 wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
UAF1 wrote:

Hey Jacob, how come you are unable to play the card because you can't place the tile?
Rules, page 10 wrote:

According to this sentence, you can always play cards like these, but you may not get the effect if its dependent on the tile being placed (i.e. Mining Rights).

Good question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastinator1 wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
UAF1 wrote:

Rules, page 10 wrote:

Yeah, this is an old rule that unfortunately went through all checks. This rule would lead to a number of frustrating rules questions, so it was removed. ERRATA: remove this sentence from the rules - tiles must be placed (unless it's an ocean and all ocean tiles have already been placed, per the exception rules on the previous page).

Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:
Bastinator1 wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
UAF1 wrote:

Rules, page 10 wrote:

Yeah, this is an old rule that unfortunately went through all checks. This rule would lead to a number of frustrating rules questions, so it was removed. ERRATA: remove this sentence from the rules - tiles must be placed (unless it's an ocean and all ocean tiles have already been placed, per the exception rules on the previous page).

Sorry.

Well, that certainly seems to make more thematic sense to simply state if you can't place the tile, you can't play the card.

Perhaps in future editions it might be possible to put a small icon matching the special tile on the board, maybe in one of the corners, to easily and quickly determine if the tile can be played. Most of the other special tiles have enough leeway that it's not needed, but this one is limited to 4 tiles, so if you don't know where they are, you have to start looking or pulling up tiles to figure it out.

It's not a big deal, but every little bit helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xavier hulin
France
flag msg tools
mb
Fryxen wrote:
Bastinator1 wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
UAF1 wrote:

Rules, page 10 wrote:

Sorry.

Sorry, I don't understand now. You can't play the card if you can't place the tile ? It is correct ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
el grillo wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
Bastinator1 wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
UAF1 wrote:

Rules, page 10 wrote:

Sorry.

Sorry, I don't understand now. You can't play the card if you can't place the tile ? It is correct ?

You can't play the card if you can't place the tile. Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luish Moraes Coelho
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless it is an ocean tile and all ocean tiles have already been placed.

If this is the case, you can use the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
luish wrote:

I'm pretty sure this has changed to what Jacob said above: If you can't place the tile, you can't play the card. Unless I'm wrong, which is likely...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
luish wrote:

I'm pretty sure this has changed to what Jacob said above: If you can't place the tile, you can't play the card. Unless I'm wrong, which is likely...

I believe luish is correct. The erratum removed the exception allowing the play of a card requiring a tile placement that was not possible, but this restriction is still overridden by the general exception that cards may be played even if the terraforming parameter is already maximized. (Ocean placement is a terraforming parameter, maximized when all 9 oceans have been placed.)

See Jacob's post above:
Fryxen wrote:
(unless it's an ocean and all ocean tiles have already been placed, per the exception rules on the previous page).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:
LordJunon wrote:

It can't be played.
Being able to perform a card's effects is mandatory except effects that * raise a parameter that has already reached its goal, * adds resources you can't collect, or * removes resources from an opponent and you can't or don't want to do that (Page 9 in the rules).

Raising the temperature 2 steps gives 2 steps of TR. That's why the cost is relatively high.

Cheers!

Wait a minute, I saw somewhere else on this forum that for cards increasing oxygen, temperature, and ocean placements players cannot increase TR unless explicitly stated to do so by the card. So now I'm confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barinthus wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
LordJunon wrote:

It can't be played.

Cheers!

Wait a minute, I saw somewhere else on this forum that for cards increasing oxygen, temperature, and ocean placements players cannot increase TR unless explicitly stated to do so by the card. So now I'm confused.

For raising temperature, oxygen level or place an ocean tile: you get 1 TR for each step you can raise the gauge/have ocean tiles left. When the gauge is maximized or the ocean tiles is all placed, you can play the card but you can't get any TR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barinthus wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
LordJunon wrote:

It can't be played.

Cheers!

You always raise TR when placing oceans, raising temperature, or increasing oxygen. If a card tells you to "raise temperature 1 step and increase your TR by 1", then you get 2 TR increases: 1 because the card says so, and one for the temperature rise.

What you're probably thinking of is that if a card tells you to increase a global parameter, but the parameter in question is already maxed out, you can play the card, but you don't get the TR for raising that parameter . . . because, you know, you didn't raise it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
spartax wrote:
You always raise TR when placing oceans, raising temperature, or increasing oxygen. If a card tells you to "raise temperature 1 step and increase your TR by 1", then you get 2 TR increases: 1 because the card says so, and one for the temperature rise.

In such cases, the card will include the orange flag terraform rating icon. This icon, and only this icon, indicates a TR increase that is not contingent on increasing temperature, oxygen, or oceans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boucher
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, many thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.