Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
I just discovered this game...and am very interested in it.
I plan on purchasing the game when, as I understand it, it is reprinted in the near future.
What is the story with all the expansions? Are they routinely reprinted, or once sold out....gone?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
I just discovered this game...and am very interested in it.
I plan on purchasing the game when, as I understand it, it is reprinted in the near future.
What is the story with all the expansions? Are they routinely reprinted, or once sold out....gone?

Thanks

They're getting reprinted as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not routinely reprinted, so if there are any that look too awesome to pass up and you're positive you'll be getting the core, I'd suggest getting the expansions and playing the waiting game on the core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gyorgy Boda
Hungary
Dunakeszi
Pest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be cautious about that. You do not know if reprint will have exactly the same color scheme/quality/sizes etc. Even with first edition KDM, some expansion hunt event have noticably different colours on the back than the core game cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Curry
msg tools
mb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Not routinely reprinted, so if there are any that look too awesome to pass up and you're positive you'll be getting the core, I'd suggest getting the expansions and playing the waiting game on the core.

As somebody who is also awaiting the reprint, do you have any recommendations on expansions? I got to see the flower knight at gencon, he seemed pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Sutherland
United States
Union City
Michigan
flag msg tools
basketball_curry wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:

As somebody who is also awaiting the reprint, do you have any recommendations on expansions? I got to see the flower knight at gencon, he seemed pretty cool.

I just got the game at Gencon so I'm not an expert on content by any means, but from what I've heard the Flower Knight is a fun fight, but pretty easy compared to other monsters. I picked up the Slenderman expansion alongside my core game purchase and his encounters look like a ton of fun, but the two expansions I hear the most about are Sunstalker and Dragon King since they add entire campaigns to the game that you can play rather than just a monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Curry
msg tools
mb
Saoshyant 4329 wrote:
basketball_curry wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:

I just got the game at Gencon so I'm not an expert on content by any means, but from what I've heard the Flower Knight is a fun fight, but pretty easy compared to other monsters. I picked up the Slenderman expansion alongside my core game purchase and his encounters look like a ton of fun, but the two expansions I hear the most about are Sunstalker and Dragon King since they add entire campaigns to the game that you can play rather than just a monster.

You lucky dog! Congrats on your acquisition. And thanks for the info. Ive definitely seen the dragon king menioned a lot. Im trying to avoid spoilers and everything so i dont want to go digging in too much as to how the expacs tie in but its good to know what i should keep an eye on come reprint time. Man i cant wait!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second picking up any expansions you want, when you can get them. At the very least, nothing is going to get cheaper with time. To date, no game content has been reprinted nor is there a timeline for any reprints. The core game reprint has been confirmed by the creator, but that's it.

Dragon King and Sunstalker offer the most bang for the buck since they each give you an entirely new campaign and way to play the game. Both get stellar reviews and are generally seen as being pretty different from the core campaign and each other.

After that, I'm a fan of the knights (Lion, Beetle, Flower), Spidiculus, and Gorm. All of them give you more cards and new things to hunt, so you can mix up your monster fighting and armor building a little bit.

The rest of the expansions end up being kind of like side quests or boss replacements, so while some of them are super cool, you don't encounter them as often in the course of one campaign. For those, I'd recommend picking up anything that either looks like an awesome model or has a cool back story that hooks you in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
basketball_curry wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:

-Having fought the slender man once, I think it's an interesting style of fight (I've found I prefer the movement-heavy ones) and it replaces a fight I think is one of the least-enjoyable.
-the gorm fills in a lot of good low-level gear where there's not a good equivalent in the core (trying to mostly avoid spoilers, the more you use a weapon class, the better you are with them, and there are a few classes that don't have good (or any) options in the early core campaign)- I think it's an ugly model, but actually adds the most of any non-campaign content, since it has some desirable early options and is immediately huntable
-Flower Knight is a very fun one- mini campaign and very different style of quarry- it doesn't produce a ton of stuff, though, so I think it's pretty low-priority as it's not all that rewarding to fight it more than a few times in a campaign
-love the dragon campaign (unfortunately, that'll be harder to find) as it radically changes certain major elements of the campaign structure

I haven't played all the expansion content, but from what I have, those are definitely my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Curry
msg tools
mb
Perfect, ill definitely keep these in mind. Also ive seen a few interviews from gencon and poots himself has said expansions will be reprinted along with core sets and the first one to be reprinted will be dragon knight. He even mentioned hes sure some people would be interested in some sort of big bundle that included every expansion and the core set. He said he didnt think something like that would be offered but they're figuring out how best to go about selling the reprint. If i had the free time, a super bundle would be freakin awesome. But as it is, ill hope that at least the dragon king, sun stalker, and a few of the others you mentioned are offered. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Any thoughts as to how long after the core game reprint is offered it will actually make it out to the buyers? I understand it took over 2 years for the first Kickstarter campaign to fulfill its commitments. Not so sure how willing I am to buy a bunch of expansions now only to have to wait years to
get the game they are designed for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Any thoughts as to how long after the core game reprint is offered it will actually make it out to the buyers? I understand it took over 2 years for the first Kickstarter campaign to fulfill its commitments. Not so sure how willing I am to buy a bunch of expansions now only to have to wait years to
get the game they are designed for.

Most of that delay was also for design. The reprint should be much faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
A few non-spoilery explanations as to expacs:

Gorm, as stated before, gives immense bang back for the buck in terms of gear and usability. It does tend to hit the game board and stick in the game regardless of which expansions you rotate in-and-out.

Flower Knight is easy, the gear minimal but with potent power, and it begins the introduction of a mechanic that all the knights share.

Lion Knight and Manhunter are side-bosses that do not supersede the regular game. They come in and go out as events and then it's back to business as usual.

DBK is a challenge. A good option to test the mid-late game play.

Sunstalker and Dragon King, as stated are separate campaigns, but both can be hunted in the regular game. They are challenging to say the least outside of their campaign arcs.

Lonely Tree is...well. It is the Lonely Tree. Last purchase option, really.

Spidicules is one of two replacement monsters. Interesting story and fight, big model that can be challenging to keep on the board.

Slenderman is the second replacement creature. Very aggressive insertions into the storyline. Expect to fight much more often than other nemesis monsters in the game (you essentially do not have a choice but to face him, he's stalking you. Very creepy.)

Lion God...is for veterans looking for a challenge. His power seems to be more on a level with something we're likely to see with the Lantern Festival expac when that arrives. Brutal as all hell.

Green Armor Kit is for the masochists out there who want to take as many of these painful creatures as possible, mash them all together in a campaign, and then cry. Totally worth it, though; that armor is insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Hostetler
United States
California
flag msg tools
I just want to throw this out there, that KD:M isn't a game that NEEDS expansions in order to have enormous replayability. If all you ever buy is the core game, you can get (literally) years of enjoyment from it, with every campaign being different based on the choices you make. The expansions are honestly just (a) an embarrassment of riches and (b) really cool miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.