Last Blitzkrieg» Forums » Sessions

Subject: AAR Advance and Destroy redux - Dec 22-23 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Massey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, lets try again. I’m not happy with how quickly the Germans collapsed in my first play of this scenario, so I’m going for take two. I’ll be using the 3 chit method of formation selection as before, and this time I’ll try the March OBJ optional rule. This means that at the same time as regular OBJ ‘s are placed, if you intend the move the formation’s HQ you have to place a March OBJ in the intended end hex of the HQ. It MUST move there in the turn. Not only will this provide a slight hamper to the flexibility of the attacking side (the Allies here), but will also remind me to place OBJs before I start moving - I was a bit sloppy about that in the last AAR.

22 December (Turn 1)

Normal, Poor, 2 hexes

Allied Air Points: 0

Formation Draw: G(5FJ), A(101AB), G(212VG)
The German chooses…

5th Fallschirmjager Division
Fatigue: 1
SNAFU mods: -2
Activation: Partial
I chose this formation first in order strengthen the defence of Martelange and delay the 4th Armored advance to Bastogne as long as possible. I consider pushing a battalion south of the Sure to defend the south end of the Martelange Bridge, but this would entail moving the HQ forward to keep the division in the Command Radius, and then this would stretch the link to the Train beyond 15 hexes. I decide against it, even though it leaves a lot of units outside the 6 hex range of the Prep Defence limit. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(79VG), G(FGrenBde), G(26VG)
The German chooses…

79th Volksgrenadier Division
Fatigue: Fresh
SNAFU mods: +1
Activation: Pass
A March OBJ is placed in 2521, with the aim of getting the division to backstop the Fuhrer Grenadiers in the defence of Wiltz. Coordination issues are created with 352VG by passing through its Train. A 2nd activation is rolled.

SNAFU mods: 0
Activation: Fail
Rolled a 2, which is the only possible way to fail the SNAFU. The Train is able to flip our of Ghost mode.

Formation Draw: A(109/28), A(80ID), A(5ID)
The Ally chooses…

80th Infantry Division
Fatigue: 0
OBJs are placed on Ettelbruck and 2605. I/916 is driven back north with just a single loss despite a 3pt destruction barrage as part of the attack. The defenders of Ettelbruck hold firm. US artillery is generally ineffective. Fatigue does not increase and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(4ID), A(CCB/10), A(101AB)
The Ally chooses…

CCB/10th Armored
Fatigue: 2
MSR Blocked 1
SNAFU mods: -7
Bad weather is not good news for the Bastogne garrison, as with no allied air points to make supply drops they start to get MSR Blocked markers and will begin losing steps to attrition if this continues. I do not roll for a 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(10AD), A(CCA/9), G(FGrenBde)
The Ally chooses…

CCA/9th Armored
A Double Tap goes on the Pioneers defending the Gilsdorf bridge, and a March OBJ on 3507 so the HQ can advance and keep units in CR. 19th Tanks deploys and advances to the bridge, where a duel with 88s drops support on the 2nd attempt. 60th Mech follows up and attacks over the bridge with the tanks assisting. The attackers take a step loss but the Pioneers retreat west and the bridge is taken (but with Traffic in the hex). 89th recon places an OBJ on 352 and Bettendorf and calls in an artillery barrage to no effect. Fatigue remains at 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(101AB), A(4ID), G(212VG)
The Ally chooses…

4th Infantry Division
SNAFU mods: -1
Prepared Def is dropped
TF Luckett kills a step of II/316 using attack by fire (no support to drop). 8 points of barrage kill just a single step of II/320. There’s something wrong with our shells today! Attacks along the line trade step losses here and there, but I/136 is driven back, and the US engineer battalion is sent to the graveyard after an ill-judged frontal assault kills both its steps. Why am I attacking here anyway? The SE of the map is just a sideshow, with no influence on the victory conditions. What I should be doing is keeping minimal forces here and trying to shake loose a formation to reinforce the central drive north. Fatigue increases to 3 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(FGrenBde), G(352VG), G(276VG)
The German chooses…

352nd Volksgrenadier Division
Fatigue: 3
SNAFU mods: -3
Prep Def is established
The 88s drop support on the mech inf who captured Gilsdorf bridge but a follow-up attack by the pioneers just causes an attacker step loss. Other units deploy and take up defensive positions. Fatigue increases to 4. A 2nd activation is rolled and is taken as a recovery.

Formation Draw: A(4AD), G(276VG), G(212VG)
The German chooses…

212th Volksgrenadier Division
The same applied here as to the US 4th ID. There is no incentive for the Germans to do anything except tie down as many enemy units as possible to prevent them being shifted to a more important sector. Drat - I just realised this formation DOES have support - it was stacked under the HQ rather than spread out as my normal practice. TF Luckett should have carried out an engagement first. The result would have been dropped support but no result from the attack by fire, so I’ll add a step back to II/316. I/316 returns to the line and a barrage kills one step from each unit in 5102. Fatigue increases to 4 and there is a 2nd activation.

Fatigue: 4

Formation Draw: G(276VG), A(101AB), A(4AD)
The Ally chooses…

4th Armored Division
A Double Tap goes on 0506. TF Oden drops support of the garrison of Martelange, killing a point of the supporting Stugs (to 1). It attempts the same on the adjacent unit but fails. TF Cohen moves up and succeeds where Oden failed. TF Alanis joins Oden and attacks over the bridge with a suppression barrage and assist from the other TF. III/15 is driven out of the village and TF Alanis moved in. Traffic blocks the hex. The 25th Cavalry advancing up the western trail uses both fire actions to place a recon-OBJ on II/14. Spotted barrages kill 4 steps of the Fallschirmjager (that’s more like it). TF Irzyk drops support on II/14 and kills another step (to 2) with an attack by fire. Fatigue increases to 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(5ID), A(101AB), A(109/28)
The Ally chooses…

109/28 Regiment
The Regiment moves up to the destroyed bridge to Diekirch. A barrage kills one step of the defending Pioneer battalion (to 1), and the 1st battalion attempts as assisted river assault Each side takes a step loss and the city is seized as the defenders go to the graveyard. Fatigue increase to 4 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(26ID), G(276VG), A(101AB0
The Ally chooses…

26th Infantry Division
Battalions move swiftly north along the trails leading to Wiltz. TF Hamilton encounters the Fuhrer Grenadiers lead unit, and call down a destruction barrage on the armoured infantry to no effect. The 2/104 spots more successfully, killing 2 steps of the I/926 in Niederfeulen (to 1). Fatigue remains at 1 and a 2nd activation is gained.

TF Hamilton deploys and drops the support of the Fusilier battalion, killing a step (to 5) with attack by fire. A destruction barrage kills two more steps, and an attack assisted by the 3/104 forces a retreat back to the Grenadier HQ position. Another barrage finishes off the I/916. Fatigue remains at 1.

Formation Draw: A(5ID), G(26VG), A(10AD)
The Ally chooses…

10th Armored Division
The unit really needs to move to allow 5ID to get into action, but with only a 1 in 3 chance of a reactivation I elect to flip and lower fatigue to zero.

Formation Draw: G(FGrenBde), A(5ID), G(26VG)
The German chooses…

26th Volksgrenadier Division
The attached Lehr Stugs are flipped to their support side. TF Kunkel drops support on 1/401 and kills a step (to 4) with an attack by fire. A step of TF O’Hara and a 101st step on the eastern perimeter are lost to barrage fire. Normally there is little point in the Germans barraging the enemy unless there is an immediate tactical purpose, as the US can replace casualties faster than they can be created. In this case though the Bastogne defenders are cut off and cannot receive replacements. Fatigue remains at 1 and a 2nd activation is gained.

Kunkel backs off a hex, and another barrage destroys the remains of TF O’Hara in the hamlet of Marvie. Fatigue remains at 1.

Formation Draw: A(5ID), G(276VG), G(FGrenBde)
The German chooses…

276th Volksgrenadier Division
The division is poor quality and can be bypassed if the allies so choose, as it is not defending anything of consequence (in terms of the scenario victory conditions). I decide to take a risk and pull the formation back north where it can help block the Skyline Drive, trusting the STOP effect of the West Wall hexes to discourage allied pursuit over the Sauer. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(5ID), A(101AB), G(FGrenBde)
The Ally chooses…

5th Infantry Division
Only a single regiment arrives this turn but the 10th Armored HQ is blocking the road north. The regiment takes the trail to the west to avoid coordination issues, halting to prevent the formations being mixed next turn. Since the HQ has not actually moved I assume it does not create coordination issues from being in a hex within 2 of the other formation. I do not bother to roll for a 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(101AB), G(FGrenBde)
The Allies win the roll…

101st Airborne Division
MSR Blocked 1
SNAFU mods: -6
The paratroops pray for good flying weather tomorrow.

Fuhrer Grenadier Brigade
The tanks drop support on 1/104, reducing the tank support by a step (to 5) and then kill a step with attack by fire. A barrage kills another step on the unit (to 4). The Tigers move up in support and kill another step of the hapless battalion (to 3). The Brigade remains Fresh but fails to reactivate.

23 December (Turn 2)

Normal, Poor, 1 hex
Germans receive 2 AV, 1 Tiger and 4 non-AV replacements
Allies receive 4 AV and 6 non-AV replacements
The 657 Flak Battalion is unassigned from 276VG
Allied Air Points: 0

Formation Draw: A(4ID), G(26VG), G(79VG)
The German chooses…

79th Volksgrenadier Division
SNAFU mods: +2
Activation: Full
The Fuhrer Grenadiers definitely need support, as they have too few units to hold off an entire division for long. 79VG needs to get to Wiltz first. They are able to march into position though are still unprepared in the main. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(352VG), A(109/28), A(4ID)
The Ally chooses…

109th/28 Regiment

SNAFU mods: -4
There’s a good chance of nothing happening, but the opportunity to cut off 352VG is too good to pass up, so I roll SNAFU rather than recover.
That’s enough to enable the regiment to encircle the VG HQ with ZoCs. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(FGrenBde), A(CCA/9), A(80ID)
The Ally chooses…

CCA/9th Armored Division
Support is dropped on the Ersatz battalion, and the Command tanks and cavalry push north to hamper 352VG if it tries to voluntarily retreat out of the trap. The armoured infantry assault Bettandorf and both sides lose a step. Fatigue remains at 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(CCB/10), G(276VG), G(212VG)
The German chooses…

276th Volksgrenadier Division
The 276 race to Vianden, but fail to re-activate and cannot close the gap between the Our and Sure rivers this turn. Next turn they will suffer from a Train in ghost mode and coordination issues from mixing with the 352VG Train in Vianden.

Formation Draw: G(5FJ), A(CCB/10). A(4AD)
The Ally chooses…

4th Armored Division

TF Chamberlain uses both fire actions to drop support on II/15. This allows TF Alanis to move north, drop support on III/13 and kill a step (to 4) with attack by fire. TF Oden moves into Martelange and kills a step of II/15 (to 4). TF Irzyk makes 2 attempts to drop support on II/14 but rolls 3 twice, and fails. Artillery barrages take a toll of the defenders. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is a 2nd activation.

II/14 is killed by a combination of attack by fire and barrage (with the supporting Stugs losing a step to 1). II/15 stubbornly holds on against 3 attacks by fire and a 2pt destruction barrage, while other units are whittled down. TF Oden manages to drive off I/14 with losses.

Formation Draw: A(CCB/10), A(26ID), A(5ID)
The Ally chooses…

26th Infantry Division
The division closes cautiously on the Fuhrer Grenadiers, and barrages kill a step from the Tigers(!) and from the Fusilier Battalion. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(FGrenBde), A(5ID), G(212VG)
The German chooses…

212th Volksgrenadier Division
The formation needs to take over responsibility for the West Wall westward to the Dillingen bridge, while also tying down 4th ID. I’ll take a recovery action first and then hope to get a 2nd activation.
Activation: Recovery
There IS a 2nd activation.

So not a lot to be done here.

Formation Draw: A(10AD), A(CCB/10), A(4ID)
The Ally chooses…

10th Armored Division
The only route north is via the Gilsdorf bridge and through CCA/9 (which is a buddy and causes no problems). The divisions units can get through okay, but the HQ is going to have to relocate forward to keep them in CR, and there is no way to do that without getting within 2 hexes of the 109/28 and causing coordination. I can’t see a way around it. The armour cross the Gilsdorf bridge, each doing a drive by shot against the Ersatz battalion in Bettandorf as they pass. One step is lost, but the remaining step will prevent the HQ crossing the bridge due to the EZOC. The engineers halt in 3409 to call down a 2pt barrage, but the unit hangs on grimly. The 10th AD HQ can only end stacked with the CCA HQ in Gilsdorf. Fatigue remains at zero and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(5ID), A(101AB), A(80ID)
The Ally chooses…

80th Infantry Division
Battalions close with 352VG and barrages kill 4 steps of the German front line. Fatigue remains at zero and there is a 2nd activation.

Another 4 steps are killed by barrage, sending the battalion stacked with the 352VG to the Graveyard. Fatigue remains at zero.

Formation Draw: G(FGrenBde), G(5FJ), G(26VG)
The German chooses…

26th Volksgrenadier Division
I want to take advantage of the worsening supply situation of the Bastogne defenders, but really need a full activation to start pressing the perimeter. KG Kunkel drops the support of the 1/401 Glider Infantry, killing a step of the supporting TDs (to 2). A 2pt destruction barrage kills a step, and the KG attack just results in a step loss (to 5) to the attackers. Fatigue remains at 1 and there is a 2nd activation.

A general barrage along the southern perimeter kills a step from each of 2 battalions. Fatigue remains at 1.

Formation Draw: G(FGrenBde), A(4ID), A(101AB)
The Ally chooses…

4th Infantry Division

Activation: Recovery
Fatigue is dropped to 2 and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: G(5FJ), A(CCB/10), G(FGrenBde)
The German chooses…

5th Fallshirmjager Division
The formation pulls back a few miles to reform a defence line. A 2nd activation is rolled and used to recover. Fatigue is reduced to zero.

Formation Draw: A(CCB/10), G(FGrenBde), A(5ID)
The Ally chooses…

5th Infantry Division
The 10th Regiment moves rapidly up to the south bank of the river between Ettelbruck and Diekirch now that 10th Armored has cleared the way. There is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(CCB/10), A(101AB), G(FGrenBde)
The Ally chooses…

CCB/10th Armored Division

MSR Blocked 2
Lack of supply reduces TF Cherry to its last step. If the weather does not improve to allow air drops the Combat Command will cease to exist next turn.

Formation Draw: A(101AB), G(FGrenBde), G(352VG)
The German chooses…

Fuhrer Grenadier Brigade
Prep Def is set up
The tanks of the Brigade engage the 26th Division supports, killing 2 steps of the 735th Tank Battalion (to 3). This delays them enough to prevent the planned move north of the river. The Brigade remains Fresh and there is no 2nd activation.

Formation Draw: A(101AB), G(352VG)
The dice go the Allied way…

101st Airborne Division
MSR Blocked 2
A good roll gives the formation the ability to do something before isolation takes its toll. Some manpower is re-allocated to the southern perimeter, and barrages knock a step off the I/78 (to 4). Fatigue remains at 1 and every unit loses a step. I have to check to see if this affects the support unit as well. Hmm, “For each stack of the formation destroy 1 step per unit”. Support does not fall within the definition of a Unit according to 1.6, so I suppose they are OK. I do not roll for a 2nd activation.

352nd Volksgrenadier Division

MSR Blocked 1
At least with a Fail there would have been no decision to make - voluntary retreats all over. Now I have to think to see if the partial activation can achieve anything. Not much, seems to be the answer. I can fire, but then it looks like retreats as before. The 88s engage the support of 80th ID but fail to cause any losses. A barrage kills a step from the each of the 2 stacked battalions south of Ettelbruck. The HQ retreats to Bettendorf (5 hexes to the nearest road not in an enemy ZoC and towards the Train). Retreat losses and isolation effects kill every unit except the Ersatz battalion. Fatigue remains at 3 and a 2nd activation is rolled.

SNAFU mods: -4
The retreat having restored the MSR the remnants of the Division flee to the relative safety of the West Wall and Roth-bei-Prum. Before they go they kill 2 steps from the CCA/9’s 60th Battalion (to 1) with the 88s and a barrage. Fatigue remains at 3.

I’ll be doing this in 2 day chunks, as the previous 3 day AAR was very time consuming to publish with all the screen caps. So how do the first 2 days compare with my first play of the scenarios?.

Well German casualties are about 50% lighter, but the 376VG has been destroyed for all practical purposes, and the Allies have broken through and driven up the Skyline Drive. In the first game I used 76VG to reinforce 352VG and the defence of Ettelbruck. This allowed then to hold for longer, but eventually resulted in the loss of both divisions by turn 4. In this play I sent 76VG to hold Wiltz instead. The problem is that 376VG has such a crappy setup that it was easy to just encircle their HQ and let attrition and artillery smash the division. I thought I was doing the smart thing in pulling the 276VG back to defend the VP approaches but they weren’t able to take up position before the 10AD broke through.

This could be an even quicker Allied victory than the last one! We shall see - if Bastogne’s poor luck with the weather rolls continues the Germans may be able to capture the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.