GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,740 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this over at FFG so I thought I'd post it here. I like the idea of allowing S&V (Pirate Mercenaries) ships to be played on either side.

A) Either side may field as many points of pirate mercenaries as they wish within their allowable point limits.
B) Abilities that effect other friendly ships are still limited to that particular faction. That is to say even if an S&V ship is on the same side as Howl Runner, her ability will not effect S&V ships.
C) A unique pilot may only be used once in the game, i.e. there is only one Boba Fett. If both players want to recruit the same unique pilot then the player that wishes to pay the most additional squad points to field that pilot is allow to use them. If a player can not use the unique pilot the originally chose them may change their squad.
D) A player looses the game when the last remaining ship of their faction is destroyed, even if that player still has several remaining Pirate Mercenaries ships.

I just wanted to share
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
I posted this over at FFG so I thought I'd post it here. I like the idea of allowing S&V (Pirate Mercenaries) ships to be played on either side.

A) Either side may field as many points of pirate mercenaries as they wish within their allowable point limits.
B) Abilities that effect other friendly ships are still limited to that particular faction. That is to say even if an S&V ship is on the same side as Howl Runner, her ability will not effect S&V ships.
C) A unique pilot may only be used once in the game, i.e. there is only one Boba Fett. If both players want to recruit the same unique pilot then the player that wishes to pay the most additional squad points to field that pilot is allow to use them. If a player can not use the unique pilot the originally chose them may change their squad.
D) A player looses the game when the last remaining ship of their faction is destroyed, even if that player still has several remaining Pirate Mercenaries ships.

I just wanted to share

Yeah I like this. If we are talking about empires: Empires enlist. They employ the unlikely, they employ the beneficial. The SW empire would act no differently. They would gladly enlist a viper or a turncoat headhunter. Economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

This avoids a lot of problems. I suggest clarifying that abilities that only affect enemy ships don't affect ships on your side.

Ken at Sunrise wrote:

There are a lot of weird conflicts possible since both Sabine and Boba Fett are pilot in two factions and crew in one faction. It is probably simplest to just follow the usual rules for uniques; do you want to similarly limit Moldy Crow or Lone Wolf? IG-88 is also kind of weird.

Otherwise, you might want to have players bid initiative (but not build) points to get first draft of unique people before making lists. Stop drafting after (say) four picks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ebeling
Germany
Grundhof
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:

Ken at Sunrise wrote:

There are a lot of weird conflicts possible since both Sabine and Boba Fett are pilot in two factions and crew in one faction. It is probably simplest to just follow the usual rules for uniques; do you want to similarly limit Moldy Crow or Lone Wolf? IG-88 is also kind of weird.

Otherwise, you might want to have players bid initiative (but not build) points to get first draft of unique people before making lists. Stop drafting after (say) four picks.

Mirror matches are possible, so no need to complicate things with mercenaries.

However, if you want to stay in the "theme": let people build their lists in advance and have them pay additional squad point costs for unique pilots they share. The "Loser" in the bidding does not change the whole ship/list, just downgrades (or upgrades) the pilot and might use the free points for additional upgrades (for any ship?) in the squadron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

I just wanted to share

Yeah I like this. If we are talking about empires: Empires enlist. They employ the unlikely, they employ the beneficial. The SW empire would act no differently. They would gladly enlist a viper or a turncoat headhunter. Economy.

Watching the animates series The Clone Wars and Rebels I would say that both sides would use mercenaries when it benefited them.

mlvanbie wrote:
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

This avoids a lot of problems. I suggest clarifying that abilities that only affect enemy ships don't affect ships on your side.

Ken at Sunrise wrote:

Interesting thought to bid initiative, but not built points, I like it. Also yes I would limit Titles as well to one per game. As for Lone Wolf, since that is not a pilot or title that would be limited to one per side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Babaganoosh made a really cool mission on Mission Control that is a three person game. The Rebels are trying to steal something, but don't have the power to do it on their own. They hire Mercenaries (Scum) to help them in the fight. The Mercenaries find out what it is and decide to try to steal it for themselves at some point in the mission. So....Rebels and Scum have less than Imperials, but more when together. They can't shoot at each other until the Scum decide to go rogue. Whomever has the package at the end of the match wins.

It's a really fun game and I wish I could recall the name of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is really great...and I feel a bit dumb for not thinking up something like this myself haha.

I'm strictly casual and my mom flies nothing but empire, and I'm rebels. I've completely avoided picking up any scum ships because neither of us have any interest in flying scum only at this point...but there's some awesome looking scum ships I'd love to try out.

Thank you for sharing this! This just opened up the scum faction for me, and I'm quite excited about that .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fielding Scum as mercs sounds cool. But the unique rules and not having to kill them to win the game sounds like major drawbacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Fielding Scum as mercs sounds cool. But the unique rules and not having to kill them to win the game sounds like major drawbacks.

The unique is solely for theme and really doesn't have any impact on the game. I liked the idea of there being only one Boba Fett and Moldy Cow, thematically speaking.

But the reason for the win is to prevent someone for using an entire mercenary squad. Why not just play S&V. The idea for this is to play your faction, add some variety and get a few pirate mercenaries in play. Otherwise play triple scout and a single Z-95.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.