Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Random thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Slowly putting together various campaign rules, random planet tables, Non-Player player AI movement, while still just casually playing the base game and reading forums like a daily newspaper.

Thinking big, then working small.

With all official and unofficial ship expansions that can be put into play with the various "house rules" making crew stronger, or weaker, Leaders possibly being killed, etc.

What if the ultimate "risk VS. reward" was the ship itself? Some Story or setup cards have you paying for a ship and outfitting it prior to gameplay. What if.....

During course of the game there was a slight chance of losing your ship? to Pirates? A bounty hunter? Reavers!?!?!

Yes...this would effectively put a stop to a player. But....what if...

A catch up mechanic....X number of make work on a planet to get Parts, X number of Parts for a Ship Schematic....Build ship

Barring that option .....Loan Sharks....

Ne'er do well contacts (I'm thinking Niska, Badger, maybe Patience)...have a ship, or you get a bailout loan...but must do X amount of jobs to repay said loan, with certain repercussions on failure.

Just had to get this idea down before I had to do IRL stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see that. It might not be worth the trouble from a winning the game standpoint, as it's likely to keep you behind, but it has potential for fun and storytelling.

Keep it simple.

Narrow it down to Niska. He seems to be the crime boss with the most loose cash to put up a ship. Randomly choose from your available ships (the one you jut had is removed from the game). Start as Niska's.

You can ONLY work jobs for Niska until you pay off the value of the ship, and you will pay Niska, say 300 or 500 or something as interest, every time you complete a job, as if he was part of your crew. You cannot choose not to pay him. He's taking it out of what he's paying you.

You can still work toward Goals, and you can finish jobs you had started with other contacts, but can't Start new ones for them. At any time, you can return to Niska, pay him the value of the ship, and you are released from your bondage to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think this gets far afield of what Aaron was thinking, but one of the things I've played with is starting leaders with a random disadvantage. Among them were a DEBT TO NISKA and DEBT TO BADGER.

If I recall correctly, with a DEBT TO NISKA, you had to pay him 100 every time you activate or he collects his Pound of Flesh. With DEBT TO BADGER, I think you pay him $500 and Disgruntle your Leader every time you collect a Goal.

DEBT TO NISKA actually came from my efforts to make a the intro scenario more challenging. For real fun, also add SLOW START, where you start the game with $1000 + 4 Cargo rather than $3000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ArionElquest wrote:
Slowly putting together various campaign rules, random planet tables, Non-Player player AI movement, while still just casually playing the base game and reading forums like a daily newspaper.

Thinking big, then working small.

With all official and unofficial ship expansions that can be put into play with the various "house rules" making crew stronger, or weaker, Leaders possibly being killed, etc.

What if the ultimate "risk VS. reward" was the ship itself? Some Story or setup cards have you paying for a ship and outfitting it prior to gameplay. What if.....

During course of the game there was a slight chance of losing your ship? to Pirates? A bounty hunter? Reavers!?!?!

Yes...this would effectively put a stop to a player. But....what if...

A catch up mechanic....X number of make work on a planet to get Parts, X number of Parts for a Ship Schematic....Build ship

Barring that option .....Loan Sharks....

Ne'er do well contacts (I'm thinking Niska, Badger, maybe Patience)...have a ship, or you get a bailout loan...but must do X amount of jobs to repay said loan, with certain repercussions on failure.

Just had to get this idea down before I had to do IRL stuff.

I like the idea in theory, but, as you point out, it can really mess with the timing of the game, and is likely to cripple any player who falls victim to losing his ship.

More thoughts later...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Fun and storytelling is key...simplicity as well...probably won't work well with 4 or more players...unless it's a true cutthroat game. Since its also a race, a catastrophic breakdown or accident is normally a big highlight.

Since I'm really thinking about options, choices, and even consequences, having a choice between contacts or maybe even a Supply Planet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Maine
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I have been working on a scenario for a local gaming day where all players are captains starting out with the amount of credits listed in the game but owing the cost of their chosen ships to a series of local institutions. Of course, things get interesting because said institutions sell the debts to Mr. Niska who is far from solid with any of the captains. One benefit is that Niska provides a gunhand for each captain as part of their starting crew. The captains are naturally responsible to pay said gunhands after each job without exception. A captain can stiff the other members of his crew but never Niska's boy. I am not certain, as yet, of how this might effect other crew members after being told that there is no payday when Niska's boy has a pocketful of coin.
I am looking to have the scenario run for a set time period with the captain with the lowest remaining debt to Niska being called the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like it. I would add that even when you're not Solid with Niska, his Pound of Flesh rule is in effect and that the Gun Hand cannot be targeted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I like it. I would add that even when you're not Solid with Niska, his Pound of Flesh rule is in effect and that the Gun Hand cannot be targeted.

He would be the one doing the targeting, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.