Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Embarrassing low quality of figures and bases rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
...and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the first version of MoM so can't compare them but I find that the quality of the figures and bases in this edition is substandard especially considering what FFG is capable of delivering.

The figures feels like cheap plastic and have lots of leftovers left from the mold on them. The pegs that are used to stick them to the bases are too big most of the times and needs to be trimmed. Even worse are those that are too small. Now I have to glue them to the base which I don't want to really.

The bases are terrible. Hard brittle plastic that had already started breaking from the drilling of the holes in them. The fact that the monster tokens are misaligned in them (hard to read the numbers though the designated holes) is another mistake that shouldn't exist in a game this expensive.

All in all quite a bad first impression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
I don't own the first version of MoM so can't compare them but I find that the quality of the figures and bases in this edition is substandard especially considering what FFG is capable of delivering.

The figures feels like cheap plastic and have lots of leftovers left from the mold on them. The pegs that are used to stick them to the bases are too big most of the times and needs to be trimmed. Even worse are those that are too small. Now I have to glue them to the base which I don't want to really.

The bases are terrible. Hard brittle plastic that had already started breaking from the drilling of the holes in them. The fact that the monster tokens are misaligned in them (hard to read the numbers though the designated holes) is another mistake that shouldn't exist in a game this expensive.

All in all quite a bad first impression.

First edition was pretty much identical quality with identical issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first edition monster figures were about the same (the tokens weren't such a tight fit in the bases, though). But the investigator figures in this edition definitely have less detail than the original's, which seemed to be made of a harder plastic and are very finely detailed.

Don't worry about gluing the monsters in, though. They don't fall over that easily, most have a leg or something to lean on, and a benefit of the big bases is that you just push them around the board rather than picking them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like poor quality for a $100 game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
...and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
The first edition monster figures were about the same (the tokens weren't such a tight fit in the bases, though). But the investigator figures in this edition definitely have less detail than the original's, which seemed to be made of a harder plastic and are very finely detailed.

Don't worry about gluing the monsters in, though. They don't fall over that easily, most have a leg or something to lean on, and a benefit of the big bases is that you just push them around the board rather than picking them up.

Ok, most of my figures looks like the come directly from Michael Jackson's "Thriller", doing their dance routine. Should surprise the investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Michels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They really aren't that bad. A bit of filing here and there on the bases and the monsters fit right in no problem. A hobby knife to trim the flashing on the models, and they paint up really nicely. As others have said the models aren't quite as good as what you get in Descent or Imperial Assault, but they aren't as bad as people are making them out to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Magoulis
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate being an internet-complainer-guy, but yeah... these monster minis and bases are no good. Also, why is there really cool art on the monster tokens that you never see once they're slotted into the base? What's the point of that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're pretty bad.
Especially compared to the new industry standards.

I like the Starspawn though.

I honestly would have preferred they save the money on the minis.

I've put all the other minis and bases in a bag and I use the tokens to represent monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stormzbowler wrote:
A bit of filing here and there on the bases and the monsters fit right in no problem. A hobby knife to trim the flashing on the models, and they paint up really nicely.

I would be fine with this from GW or some hack Kickstarter minis.

In a professional product, from a well established publisher, the pieces should work out of the box.

I like the game, but it is not worth $100. I would have preferred $50 and no plastic.

But hey, I bought what they offered and tossed the ugly plastic into a bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Dino Studio
United States
Sudbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
RAWR!
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems to be a trend for re-releases. Just take a look at the amount of stuff you got in Descent 1.0 vs. Descent 2nd ed. I miss the times when I'd open a FFG box and go "wow, that's a lot of awesome looking stuff!" It could be that MoM had to offset the price of the app, but it's still a noticeable dropoff in quality.

Asmodee's new tagline: "Twice the price, half as nice"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is ridiculous and our voice needs to be heard. Unacceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree and sent a complaint to FFG (which forwarded me to Asmodee ). Still no word back. I have several FFG games, and this seemed to be a step down from the rest. I was really shocked by how hard the tokens were to get into the bases. There will be no way for me to remove them, if I ever have a need to. From what I read on a different thread, 1st edition bases were not that tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
stormzbowler wrote:
They really aren't that bad. A bit of filing here and there on the bases and the monsters fit right in no problem. A hobby knife to trim the flashing on the models, and they paint up really nicely. As others have said the models aren't quite as good as what you get in Descent or Imperial Assault, but they aren't as bad as people are making them out to be.

You shouldn't have to do any of that. This is a board game and the components should be functional out of the box. This game is not targeted specifically at hobbyists, but also general gamers.

not_a_cylon wrote:
This seems to be a trend for re-releases. Just take a look at the amount of stuff you got in Descent 1.0 vs. Descent 2nd ed. I miss the times when I'd open a FFG box and go "wow, that's a lot of awesome looking stuff!" It could be that MoM had to offset the price of the app, but it's still a noticeable dropoff in quality.

Nothing to do with the App. This has been the trend with FFG for the last couple of years. Less for more. My patronage of their products ah dwindled to pretty much just their Mythos games because of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:
stormzbowler wrote:
A bit of filing here and there on the bases and the monsters fit right in no problem. A hobby knife to trim the flashing on the models, and they paint up really nicely.

I would be fine with this from GW or some hack Kickstarter minis.

In a professional product, from a well established publisher, the pieces should work out of the box.

I like the game, but it is not worth $100. I would have preferred $50 and no plastic.

But hey, I bought what they offered and tossed the ugly plastic into a bag.

After trying to get all the tokens in the bases and get the figures on, I'm siding with this.
I'm admittedly a minis and Ameritrash guy. I assembled SoBS and didn't complain. But for a non-hobby type of boardgame, getting the MoM set together was a pain in the posterior.

I may just yank out the tokens and use them. The only thing the tokens don't represent well is the gravity of the monster. When you plop on a Starspawn or a Cthonian, you know the battle is going to be nuts. And you'll probably suffer insanity AND a broken leg. Tokens don't give you that sense of scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Christensen
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chewie456 wrote:
I also agree and sent a complaint to FFG (which forwarded me to Asmodee ). Still no word back. I have several FFG games, and this seemed to be a step down from the rest. I was really shocked by how hard the tokens were to get into the bases. There will be no way for me to remove them, if I ever have a need to. From what I read on a different thread, 1st edition bases were not that tight.

Was it all of your tokens or only specific ones? I just received my copy today and I happened to be home at lunch and unboxed the game. I put two random tokens into bases and they were firm in a good way as to not slide out accidentally. (There could be others that are a nightmare though. I'll see tonight) I do wonder if weather/humidity will come into play. I live in Utah and it's very dry here. Maybe the cardboard will not contain as much moisture here and condense? Big tiles in most any new game I get from any publisher seem to all need a little seasoning (i.e. flattening under weight and time in this environment). Stuff that isn't new and from the FLGS seems to always be better than my new Kickstarter stuff from China. This happens with cards too actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericdrum wrote:
chewie456 wrote:

Was it all of your tokens or only specific ones? I just received my copy today and I happened to be home at lunch and unboxed the game. I put two random tokens into bases and they were firm in a good way as to not slide out accidentally. (There could be others that are a nightmare though. I'll see tonight) I do wonder if weather/humidity will come into play. I live in Utah and it's very dry here. Maybe the cardboard will not contain as much moisture here and condense? Big tiles in most any new game I get from any publisher seem to all need a little seasoning (i.e. flattening under weight and time in this environment). Stuff that isn't new and from the FLGS seems to always be better than my new Kickstarter stuff from China. This happens with cards too actually.

The tokens for the small bases are by far the worst. Medium and large base/token combos fit well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not_a_cylon wrote:

You're aware Descent 2E was quite some time before Asmodee came into the picture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericdrum wrote:
chewie456 wrote:

It was all my tokens. There might have been one or two that didn't need as much of a push, but I did have to use another piece of cardboard to get them all the way in. It could have been humidity, as I live in MN, but sounds like lots of people are having this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
For $99.00 the figurines should be painted, and the tiles should be embossed with holograms and gold foil. I exaggerate (a bit), but the components should be amazing for that price.

This is the first time Asmodee North America/FFG's price fixing scheme really hit me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Dino Studio
United States
Sudbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
RAWR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
not_a_cylon wrote:

You're aware Descent 2E was quite some time before Asmodee came into the picture?

Yes. And its gone further south since. Like pouring gasoline on a fire, ya know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
not_a_cylon wrote:

Although I like Descent 2nd Ed., I have to note that Christian T. Petersen, CEO of FFG who was in charge at that time was also an active participant in the price fixing plan. In fact, according to a speech he made and published he at least partly drove drove the descision as he wanted to subsidize the brick and mortar stores that run LCG and CCG tournaments. I don't play either of those, don't have a Friendly Local Game Store, and don't feel board gamers should have to pay for collectible card game tournaments in other locations which should pay for themselves.
(Deep breath. Whew!)

I was planning on gettting MOM 2nd until I saw the price. The price, how it stings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Price fixing is colluding with your competitors to set prices higher than they should be. And it is illegal. FFG set different prices for online and brick and mortar stores. That isn't illegal. Disagree with it all that you want, it isn't price fixing, please stop calling it that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Dino Studio
United States
Sudbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
RAWR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Headed Monkey wrote:
Price fixing is colluding with your competitors to set prices higher than they should be. And it is illegal. FFG set different prices for online and brick and mortar stores. That isn't illegal. Disagree with it all that you want, it isn't price fixing, please stop calling it that.

It is price discrimination though. Unfortunately, the outcome is the same no matter what you call it. Most of us will pay more, Asmodee makes more money, they cannibalize another company.

Welcome to the machine F2Z zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Erb
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my star spawns has a leg that is bent inwards, it is impossible to get the peg in the hole. i tried the hot water bending to see if i could straighten it out but the plastic is so hard (and the leg is so thick) that i cannot. i did request a replacement, so hopefully they send one.

i'm also not so sure that the shovel one of the riot people is holding is too threatening, since it is droopy. darn low budget special effects...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not_a_cylon wrote:
Three Headed Monkey wrote:

It is price discrimination though. Unfortunately, the outcome is the same no matter what you call it. Most of us will pay more, Asmodee makes more money, they cannibalize another company.

Welcome to the machine F2Z zombie

Actually Asmodee probably makes less money. That's what's bizarre about the whole thing. The wholesale price to the OLGSes is the same, and the increased retail price almost certainly decreases sales volume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.