Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I just missing this? Rulebook directs users to FFG website, and the two or three pages about this game have no link or information whatsoever about how or where to download the app.

Now, I've read here that it's on Steam, so I'll go there and get it, but how can a "Board game driven by an app" not be very specific to its customers how to get said app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just having the same problem. Looks like it is on Steam. I don't really have a clue what that means yet. Guess it's time to ask google.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnyMouse wrote:
I was just having the same problem. Looks like it is on Steam. I don't really have a clue what that means yet. Guess it's time to ask google.

Steam is an app all on it's on through which you can download all kinds of PC games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnyMouse wrote:

There you go, case in point. I am lucky in that I already have Steam so it was no big deal to go download it. But not everybody even knows what it is. How can FFG be so obtuse on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing when they got the rules & leaflet (which says "Stop", you need the app) printed, they weren't sure whether the app would be on Steam or not. Seems someone forgot to put links to the app (on the various marketplaces) on their own product page? I'm sure I saw them at some point on their site though.

Anyway... compare that with the XCOM app, which isn't on Steam... FFG give direct downloads for PC/Mac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
I'm guessing when they got the rules & leaflet (which says "Stop", you need the app) printed, they weren't sure whether the app would be on Steam or not. Seems someone forgot to put links to the app (on the various marketplaces) on their own product page? I'm sure I saw them at some point on their site though.

Totally fine not to have the details on the printed documents. Totally inexcusable not to have them on their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Download link.

Steam is awesome, free, and riddled with amazing indie / experimental games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ronda
United States
flag msg tools
The included FFG catalog was dated Winter 2015. Is it possible they began production on the boxes but then had to delay release? Could explain app issues (rushed development), short announcement-release window, and this strange Steam omission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
My game is still in transit to my house, but I have downloaded the app last week.

The first step, you have to install Steam on your PC -

Steam is an application you can download and install on your PC. It is free.

What is Steam? I tend to think of it as a portal where you can purchase, download and install electronic games on your PC. Most games you have to purchase, but some applications, such as Mansions of Madness second edition, are for free.

Watch this video for a general guidance on how to install Steam on your computer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S-zHTQ0iQc

Second step:

After you installed steam on your PC, then search for Mansions of Madness second edition from Steam. (see image blow)

Install this FFG app, launch it, select a scenario, the app will tell you how to setup the scenario etc.. and follow the instruction and enjoy your game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psydotek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth noting is that once the application is downloaded from Steam, it will run independently of Steam. This means you can copy it to other computers if needed.

I have a laptop I want to use the game app on but I don't have Steam installed on it (nor will I be installing Steam on it as it's my travel laptop and I keep as little personal information as possible on it). I copied the game over via USB drive and it works just fine. It's just that if there's ever any updates or patches I'll need to copy it over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Psydotek wrote:
Worth noting is that once the application is downloaded from Steam, it will run independently of Steam. This means you can copy it to other computers if needed.

I have a laptop I want to use the game app on but I don't have Steam installed on it (nor will I be installing Steam on it as it's my travel laptop and I keep as little personal information as possible on it). I copied the game over via USB drive and it works just fine. It's just that if there's ever any updates or patches I'll need to copy it over again.

Thanks for this. I was looking for a way to play via my laptop without installing Steam on it. This was perfect and so easy to do. Never realised you could do that with Steam games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psydotek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:
Thanks for this. I was looking for a way to play via my laptop without installing Steam on it. This was perfect and so easy to do. Never realised you could do that with Steam games.

You can't do it with every game, depends on how much Steam[works] integration there is. Some use it for DRM or matchmaking, some use it strictly as a launcher.

Fortunately the Mansions of Madness application is the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a minute! Are you telling me there is no other way to get this app then on steam? Really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesl59 wrote:
Wait a minute! Are you telling me there is no other way to get this app then on steam? Really?

That appears to be the case, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cain M
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
I recommend not using the Windows app. It malfunctioned twice on me and froze up, rendering two 3+ hr games a waste of time. I wonder if the porting is the issue or if the app is buggy on all platforms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thecainman wrote:
I recommend not using the Windows app. It malfunctioned twice on me and froze up, rendering two 3+ hr games a waste of time. I wonder if the porting is the issue or if the app is buggy on all platforms?

Sorry to hear that
Assume you're on the latest v1.0.2 ?

The app is not really "ported" from anywhere, in so much as it's built using a tool (Unity) that can compile to all these platforms, so they're all using pretty much the same logic/code.

I'd think it's likely that any bugs which crop up will be present on all platforms, possibly with the exception of display/UI issues or loading/saving, which could be down to how specific platforms/devices handle things differently.

Having said that, if you do notice issues specific to the Windows app (or the others), definitely let FFG (and us) know as it may help track down the cause if an issue only happens on one platform.

Since I don't see it mentioned in this thread, please report any bugs (along with as much detail as possible: platform, device, OS version, app version, as much as you remember about the scenario, etc.) to...
softwaresupport@fantasyflightgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thecainman wrote:

Hmm, that's not good.

My plan was to connect my laptop to our gaming TV (I think it's a 24") for all players to see/read. We can pass the wireless mouse around or one person can have the "con".

So if I use my Android phone instead and want it displayed on that TV, have people had success using Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick or some other method to display the app on a TV/display?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thecainman wrote:

Its the same program as on the other platforms, and they freeze up at the same point.

Nothing to do with Steam or Windows. All to do with the developers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean West
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:
So if I use my Android phone instead and want it displayed on that TV, have people had success using Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV stick or some other method to display the app on a TV/display?

I haven't played the full game but I tested it on my TV with Chromecast and it worked perfectly. There is another thread on here where others have mentioned that it worked for them through Chromecast as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I learned that many board gamers have no idea what Steam is. I am legitimately surprised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MountainMaverick wrote:
vincentdante wrote:
Today I learned that many board gamers have no idea what Steam is. I am legitimately surprised.

I'm not surprised in the least. What do the two different things have to do with each other outside of two board games?

Tabletop Simulator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tested this app out using chromecast. It seemed to work fine casting to my TV from my phone with chromecast, which is great for a solo game. However I would still prefer to have the MoM 2e app running on windows and connect it to a tv directly. If I'm using my phone that means I still have to pass my phone around to everyone at the table. I would prefer passing a mouse around so each person could operate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.