$5.00
Tom Roy
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys.

This came up the other day and I wanted to get some closure on it.

I was flying Dengar against 2 generic scummy k-fighters. Both are in my primary arc and it's the combat phase. I just attacked and now it's my opponents turn to attack back. This is what happened.

He attacks me with first k-fighter. We resolve it and then his next k-fighter attacks. He is done attacking me and now I decide to use Dengars ability but I want to use it on the first k-fighter attack.

All I want to know is since Dengar can attack back, is it too late to attack the first k-fighter? Am I only now allowed to attack the 2nd fighter because mytiming window has passed?

My opponent says it was too late and I could only attack the 2ns fighter. I argued I could choose between.

What's the right answer?

Thanks for any help and support you guys can give me!

Fly proper casual!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your opponent is correct. You have to use Dengar's ability on the ship that just finished attacking you. Dengar's card specifies "against that ship," which means the ship that you just finished defending against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Roy
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the "once per round, after defending" that makes me think otherwise. "That ship" in this scenario is both ships since they both attacked me and are both in my arc and it's after I'm defending. Aye yo yi!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each attack is separate, though; ships attack in turn, not at the same time, even if they have the same initiative rating. So you have to choose whether or not to fire back at a ship before the next one attacks.

1. Ship 1 attacks Dengar
2. Dengar defends against Ship 1
3. Dengar may fire back at Ship 1; if he chooses not to, he can't later

1. Ship 2 attacks Dengar
2. Dengar defends against Ship 2
3. Dengar may fire back at Ship 2, if he didn't already fire at Ship 1

The only exception to this I'm aware of is Corran Horn, where you hold off and respond to his End phase attack instead of his Combat phase attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
The only exception to this I'm aware of is Corran Horn, where you hold off and respond to his End phase attack instead of his Combat phase attack.

Which is a risky proposition to wait for because Corran could decide not to attack and then you've just wasted Dengar's ability for that round.

Also note that Dengar can respond to either the first or second attack from a ship using something like Gunner or Luke, but that he has to wait for both attacks from a Twin Laser Turret, since, per the timing rules, that's a single attack done twice, not two separate attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Roy
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.