Popular Tags: [View All]
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This could be based on any criteria, but what's your most treasured game? You might account for worth, art, availability, gameplay, memories, etc. Give a brief explanation why.

Mine is Cave Evil. I've wanted this for a year and it is only available in super low quantities. I passed on it a few times, for good prices, because I thought it would remain available. It didn't. I finally found it in an auction a few months ago and doubled the last guys rather high bid to land it for myself and couldn't be happier. I love the art and the gameplay is simply great. I also feel like I snagged a "hard to find artifact" almost and that just adds to my appreciation of it. It's definitely my most treasured game on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be a great geeklist!

Editing to actually answer the question: my Japanese version of Targi, signed by designer Andy Steiger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
This would be a great geeklist!

Probably. I've been here over a year and think I've only made geeklists for auctions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as for rarity. I did have a complete and unpunched set of RoboRally (second edition) with all expansions. But I figured that since I would never punch it I would rather have 15 other games so I sold it for about $600 a while back.

I also have Puerto Rico: Limited Anniversary Edition which isn't the easiest and cheapest box to find. Nor is World of Warcraft: The Boardgame with all expansions and StarCraft: The Board Game.

I also have a DungeonQuest (very first edition), but half the tiles are missing so that is pretty useless even though it is somewhat rare.

I would say that when all is considered, my two most treasured games are Emperor's New Clothes because being part of the Kickstarter was epic and Thud because, as a huge Pratchett fan, I find it very satisfying to have the edition that inspired the book.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably Agricola. I dont really enjoy playing it that much, but can do nothing but admire it as the greatest designed board game of all time. It sits on my top shelf as the highlight of my collection, like a fine aged whiskey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Born in the 80's and being a kid of the 90's I got to play a lot of Heroquest, which my neighbor owned. It came with a flyer for Game Workshop(thats how they get you) so that you can get a catalog of theirs. I fell in love with the 40K stuff and had a copy of Tyranid Attack and Epic 40K in the mid 90's. My favorite things about GW's 40K line was Tyranids and Terminators.

So for me my most treasured game is the full line of Space Hulk 1st edition. I have all the expansions and most all of the supported models that you buy separately. I've been slowly painting my was through the sets as time passes. I don't really get to play the game as nearly every time I game it's with at least 3 friends.

It's a bit odd that my most cherished game is not something I owned as a child, but the sight of the box reminds me of how much excitement I had when first seeing the cool looking 40K races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb

Because, well,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
disasterwargamer disasterwargamer
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
Talisman 2nd Edition and all of the related expansions

Talisman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Burden
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

War of the Ring]

I got this as a Birthday gift from my sister who helped introduce me to the wonderful world of gaming. The game is in rough shape and might be missing a counter or two, but I wouldn't get rid of it for all the money in the world. I have a great older sister
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Starship Troopers

It was my first non-mass market tabletop game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly DeathMaze (even though it isn't my favorite by half) because I'm the original owner and have such admiration for Greg Costikyan and all his writing and designing have brought to the hobby.

A close second, and maybe even sharing first place, is Ambush! because, quite simply, it is a masterpiece of originality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Starship Troopers

It was my first non-mass market tabletop game.
Have you played it recently? If so, how did it hold up? I have been 'almost' acquiring this one for quite some time now. Can't quite pull trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Copy of Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. First Edition, English from Portal that was purchased at Essen.

Bought it from someone in my state who wasn't a fan of the game. Has some Essen exclusive cards too.

Not really a huge thing but, it was neat to own a copy when the game went hard to find and zman hadn't picked it up yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought close to 1,000 games. None of them are treasured, except for the memories I have of playing them with specific people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A beat up old wooden backgammon set.

Pete (clings to memories of his father)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I've bought close to 1,000 games. None of them are treasured, except for the memories I have of playing them with specific people.

So am I to understand that the more games you have the less you specifically enjoy them (but prefer the company)? I play solo a lot so I don't relate as much. I also think if I had 1000 I wouldn't remember what I liked and disliked
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
For rarity, Poseidon's Kingdom and Antiquity

For sentimental value, The Scepter of Zavandor

For the most significant game, High Frontier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

I love this response. I answered DeathMaze and Ambush! above and never even considered the beat up old chess set I have from my dad, which is definitely my most treasured possession in the game closet. I read the question thinking about games I have bought rather than inherited though of course it didn't state that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

I love this response. I answered DeathMaze and Ambush! above and never even considered the beat up old chess set I have from my dad, which is definitely my most treasured possession in the game closet. I read the question thinking about games I have bought rather than inherited though of course it didn't state that.

My intention was just games you own / have played. Sentimental/personal value can definitely an important part of the equation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Y come?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bishop
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko

I bought this game for my wife on our Honeymoon. We played it over and over. Then when we had our second kid I got her the expansion: Takenoko: Chibis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror plus all expansions. Pimped out with the custom dice, gate stands and monster mini's. Wish I could get the investigator mini's but I'm not paying the current prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The AH games I played over and over again in the 70s & 80s, and in the case of Kingmaker, played enough that I had to buy a replacement after 20 years.

In a rough order, a very personal top 3:
1) Civilization
2) The Russian Campaign
3) Ambush!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.