6 Posts

Tyrants of the Underdark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Garcia

Texas
msg tools
We played a 2 player game the other night and we were a bit confused about moving troops.
The rulebook says "You may move a troop only from a space where you have Presence. To move a troop, move it to an empty troop space anywhere on the board (even if you don't have Presence there)."

It doesn't say when you can move a troop, so we played it as anytime during your turn. It also doesn't clarify if you can place a troop and then move the same troop you placed. So in effect the placement of a troop in a place where you have presence doesn't really work because you could just place a troop where you have presence then move the same troop to another space. I don't know if this was the intention of the move troop rule.

Please let me know if anybody has any ideas on how this is supposed to work.

We house ruled it that you could not move a troop that was placed this turn. You could only move troops that were already in place before your turn started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Djjluv wrote:
We played a 2 player game the other night and we were a bit confused about moving troops.
The rulebook says "You may move a troop only from a space where you have Presence. To move a troop, move it to an empty troop space anywhere on the board (even if you don't have Presence there)."

It doesn't say when you can move a troop, so we played it as anytime during your turn. It also doesn't clarify if you can place a troop and then move the same troop you placed. So in effect the placement of a troop in a place where you have presence doesn't really work because you could just place a troop where you have presence then move the same troop to another space. I don't know if this was the intention of the move troop rule.

Please let me know if anybody has any ideas on how this is supposed to work.

We house ruled it that you could not move a troop that was placed this turn. You could only move troops that were already in place before your turn started.

I believe moving a troop is only available from a card action. Page 8 in the rules doesn't list it as an available action on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. Moving troops is only available through card actions and is exceptionally power in a 3+ player game where you can put the moved enemy unit in another enemies' territory.

Fun times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Move is a keyword ability on some cards.

Your turn reminder card tell you exactly what you can do in a turn:

Play a card
Deploy a Troop for 1
Assassinate a Troop for 3
Return a Spy for 3
Buy a card

I think that's it? I feel like I'm forgetting one.

Nowhere does it say "Move a Troop" in this list. Neither does it say "Place a Spy" for that matter. That means you only get to do these things if you get a card that say to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
If you could do any action for free at any time, moving would be the least of your concerns when supplanting exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Djjluv wrote:
The rulebook says on page 12 "You may move a troop only from a space where you have Presence. To move a troop, move it to an empty troop space anywhere on the board (even if you don't have Presence there)."

It also doesn't clarify if you can place a troop and then move the same troop you placed. So in effect the placement of a troop in a place where you have presence doesn't really work because you could just place a troop where you have presence then move the same troop to another space.

Just to add to what everyone else said:
1. You can only MOVE when a card allows it, it is not a basic action.
2. The movement rule, as far as i know, is mainly referring to moving ENEMY troops - hence having presence as a condition makes sense.
Although the rulebook is a bit vague on if u can move your own troops too.

Regards, Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.