Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Fardette
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scouting the bookshelves this week and decided to break out a game that probably hasn't been on my table in 20 years. The rules are a breeze to refresh on and the play of the scenarios is quick as well. I decided to try out the Yorktown campaign, mainly because it did not suggest the decoy counters be used as an optional rule. Tough to fool yourself in a solo game...

The Yorktown Campaign
As the war for American independence moved into its 7th year, the British deployed forces to Virginia in an attempt to destroy much of the American commerce in the area. This form of economic warfare was hoped to bring the nearly bankrupt Americans to their knees, and the British landed redcoats at Norfolk to begin the campaign.

March, 1781

British forces overrun a single unit of American militia in Petersburg, while Tory militia attempts to force march on Richmond, threatening two Commerce markers. The force march fails. American troops move into a central location and invite the small British army to join a field battle on equal terms.

April, 1781

With reinforcements pouring into the area, the British decline the field battle and instead spread out to destroy more Commerce markers in Richmond and Charlotte. They keep their army nearby in case the rebels decide to interfere. Petersburg entrenches and will serve as the base of operations going into the summer months.

Seeing that the British are too strong to face at this time, the Americans fall back to Charlottesville to protect the last Commerce marker and wait for help.

May, 1781

British forces receive additional supplies and move to threaten Charlottesville, while leaving a small garrison in Petersburg. Is splitting their forces a mistake? The Americans receive reinforcements of their own, and the additional militia means that they now have an army equal to that of the British advancing on Charlottesville. Fight or wait? They wait, and entrench at Charlottesville. While this allows the British artillery to come into play, the odds are still even. If the British attack and the results are inconclusive, the edge will shift to the Americans when the British are unable to supply their guns.

June, 1781

More British reinforcements arrive, and they use this as an opportunity to assault the American positions. Strike while the iron is hot! While only assured of 1 to 1 odds, the reinforcement groups both attempt to force march to the sound of the guns and are successful. Their arrival shifts the odds to 2 to 1, and the American forces are destroyed. Worse yet for the Americans, the British didn't even need to use their supplies after the first round of battle.

American reinforcements arrive, but they are now too weak and scattered to interfere with British operations. They skulk in the back country, waiting for better times.

July, 1781

The British destroy the last Commerce marker, and start moving towards the coast. There is a large French army on the way and they will need to consolidate their forces to face it. More American militia arrives, but they are no threat to the redcoats.

August, 1781

The British decide to abandon Petersburg and move to Portsmouth. The Americans continue to shadow the British forces but are unable to interfere.

September, 1781

The British mass all of their troops in Norfolk in preparation for the French arrival. They begin construction of a fort, and construct a magazine to supply them for the rest of the game. In hindsight, they should have done that last turn because the French arrive with the fort incomplete. Even though there are more Yankee reinforcements on the way, they are not in position to help this month. But waiting for them to arrive means the fort will be completed. The French attack!

They hold a slight numerical advantage, and the battle goes their way right from the start. As the battle wears on and the British forces decline, the odds shift from 1 to 1, to 3 to 2, then 2 to 1 and finally 4 to 1. In the end, the British army is destroyed, the magazine captured, and Lord North's government falls in Parliament. The time for peace has come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Boucher
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the war of independence on my mind lately with Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection on the go. It's a nostalgic pleasure to see this AH classic being dusted off. As Bob Hope would say, thanks for the memories!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A real pleasure to read. Thanks for the AAR posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Pratto
United States
Peabody
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This scenario was rewritten in an attempt to improve it by Bob Furney. I believe he succeeded The rules for the revision are in the 3rd Edition rules. You might want to check that out as well the other updated scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Fardette
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug Pratto wrote:
This scenario was rewritten in an attempt to improve it by Bob Furney. I believe he succeeded The rules for the revision are in the 3rd Edition rules. You might want to check that out as well the other updated scenarios.

Thanks, I'll fire up the Google machine and see if I can find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jfardette wrote:
Doug Pratto wrote:

Or just check this game's Files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,

Great to see this being sessioned, thanks! I lent my copy to a 6th grade school teacher in 1974 I think, never saw it again. The rest is history...

hey if you can, can you edit the pics with:

large or original after the id number to let us zoom in easily?

[id=xxxxxxxlarge] or [id=xxxxxxxxoriginal]

Try it and see if it works, I'm no expert (lucky sometimes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Fardette
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pictures enlarged. Thanks for the tip on how to do that. It took me longer just to figure out how to post the session than it did to play it and write it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Fardette
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
jfardette wrote:
Doug Pratto wrote:

Or just check this game's Files section.

I just looked in the files and found them. I didn't realize you were talking about the leaders and special counters expansion. I ran into Bruce at WBC a decade or so ago and looked it over but never gave it a try. Maybe now I will, assuming I can still find the new counters for it. Thanks for pointing it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the AAR. 1776 still has a soft spot in my heart and still have my original copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game deserves a brand new edition by a publisher like GMT. There still isn't a better ARW strategic game at this scale IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.