Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Horn
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have questions about some specific building and Hero cards.

1. On the Inn cards that state "When you gather Vikings, you may gather 1 extra (blue, red or grey) symbol", do you do that every time you gather Vikings, only once per turn, or only when you gather that color of Viking? For instance, let's say I have the Inn that gives one extra blue Viking. I trade in one gray symbol card, and two red symbol cards. Do I get 1 gray, 3 red and 2 blue Vikings (one extra blue for each set), 1 gray, 3 red and 1 blue (once per turn) or 1 gray, 3 red and no blue (because I didn't trade in any blue)?

2. On the Hakon, Bard and Halfdan Hero cards, there are symbols to use as a Raid Ability. When do you use these symbols? Do you have to use them all at the same time? For instance, can I use the two Seamanship symbols on the Bard card to help buy a longship before the Raid, then use the Recruitment symbol to help buy a replacement Hero, or even to help fight off Additional Raid Requirements after the Raid?

Thanks for any help on interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
Omega Centauri
badge
Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
1. - rules say (under Building Special Abilities)
*Any Special Ability that modifies or discounts a given Action (like Gathering Vikings, Recruiting a Hero, Constructing a building, etc.) can be used only once per turn.

So I'd say no - one use only for the Inn

2. What does the card say? If it says during a raid then you can only use the symbols during a raid. If it doesn't you can use them anytime (but then the hero gets discarded, so wouldn't be available to raid).

What's the point of such symbols during a raid - just to help meet the additional raid requirements produced by the 3 cards at the end of the raid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel is correct on both points.

When you receive an additional viking, you get it once per turn no matter how many cards you use. So if I have an Inn which gives me an additional Sailor (blue), even if I only recruit a single Warrior (red) using one card, I also get a Sailor.

Symbols used for Raiding are used to fulfill the requirements during the raid. They cannot be used as functional symbols (used to Recruit, Build or construct Ships etc.) - for comparison, have a look at Ketil's ability, which allows that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wiltshire
Australia
Ingleburn
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:
When you receive an additional viking, you get it once per turn no matter how many cards you use. So if I have an Inn which gives me an additional Sailor (blue), even if I only recruit a single Warrior (red) using one card, I also get a Sailor.

I guess the issue with the Inn card specifically is that the extra viking recruitment power reads like a permanent power rather than like the other Special abilities on the buildings. It could be clarified by saying "Once per turn when you gather Vikings . . . "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.