Popular Tags: [View All]
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The video below contains spoilers. Specifically, it shows (legible) shots of the Captain's Booke, at about 5:20. So if you're looking for spoilers, go there, but if you're trying to avoid spoilers, you might want to skip this one or fast forward through that portion.

SeaFall w/ Rob Daviau | Board Game Overview | GenCon 2016

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Wolf
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must have much better eyes than me. I couldn't make out anything specific on there if I tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Becq, your appellation is 'the vigilant'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I think if you don't pause it, blow it up on a big screen, and analyze it, you will probably be okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kpishnery wrote:
I think if you don't pause it, blow it up on a big screen, and analyze it, you will probably be okay.

Yes, but what if you *accidentally* do that? I'm just trying to help prevent just that sort of mishap...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I watched the video in question and know what you're talking about, but he flips though the book quite fast. In order for what you're saying to be a problem, you'd have to freeze frame the video and study it.

If you don't want to be spoiled, just don't do that.

All that said, they still should have been more careful before releasing the video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Haha, I'm already worried about my gaming group skimming through the book and accidentally reading things they aren't supposed to while finding the correct entry. Hopefully the juiciest of secrets aren't too easily "skimmed."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
much0gust0 wrote:
Haha, I'm already worried about my gaming group skimming through the book and accidentally reading things they aren't supposed to while finding the correct entry. Hopefully the juiciest of secrets aren't too easily "skimmed."

I decided just an hour ago, that I'm just going to read all Captain's Booke entries for the duration of the game to avoid that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kpishnery wrote:
much0gust0 wrote:

I decided just an hour ago, that I'm just going to read all Captain's Booke entries for the duration of the game to avoid that.

Having an (optional) app would solve this issue. Just plug in the entry number, and it gives you *only* that entry. Would be pretty easy to program, assuming a soft copy of the Captain's Booke was available. Like, for example, if Plaid Had were to produce one. Just sayin'...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Becq wrote:
kpishnery wrote:
much0gust0 wrote:

Having an (optional) app would solve this issue. Just plug in the entry number, and it gives you *only* that entry. Would be pretty easy to program, assuming a soft copy of the Captain's Booke was available. Like, for example, if Plaid Had were to produce one. Just sayin'...

Not sure such a thing is feasible.

For one, you'd immediately have people spoiling everything in the book(e), since they wouldn't even need to buy the game. I am unsure if there is another hidden booke or something like the speculated additional explorer's map, but if not then the booke has everything in the game right from the beginning, just jumbled up.

Of course, you could try to tie the app to the purchase of the game, but obviously that doesn't work retroactively. And that carries additional problems for reselling or lending and such.

Not to mention it kinda loses a bit of the mysticism if you don't read it out like some ancient captain's logbook.

Oh, and money and time. The actual reason these things don't happen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
For one, you'd immediately have people spoiling everything in the book(e), since they wouldn't even need to buy the game. I am unsure if there is another hidden booke or something like the speculated additional explorer's map, but if not then the booke has everything in the game right from the beginning, just jumbled up.

Of course, you could try to tie the app to the purchase of the game, but obviously that doesn't work retroactively. And that carries additional problems for reselling or lending and such.

Not to mention it kinda loses a bit of the mysticism if you don't read it out like some ancient captain's logbook.

Oh, and money and time. The actual reason these things don't happen

Nah, it could be done. If you want to prevent casual access, you could use a simple authentication: "Turn to page 20 in the Captain's Booke, and type in the number of the first entry at the top of that page". You could use the same technique for authenticating access to any unlockable material ("The color of the new game components unlocked in this box are (a) green, (b) yellow, ...").

This sort of thing won't stop someone determined to get access to secrets, but then again as it currently stands the Captain's Booke has *no* security at all. Anyone could read through it, scan a copy, whatever. The purpose of this app would be to make it easy to prevent accidentally catching sight of a key spoiler word from the next paragraph. For example, imagine you're playing the game, and let's say you were told to read paragraph #1073 as shown below [completely fake (as far as I know) spoiler-like text]:

Quote:
#1073 My crew has discovered a friendly tribe, who offer to provide lumber in exchange for trinkets from our home.
Place a "produces wood" sticker on this site.

#1074 The giant flying galleon could not withstand our withering fire, and began a slow fall into the ocean below...

It might be hard NOT to accidentally catch a word or two in the next paragraph. Did you manage to avoid seeing any of it?

As to money and time ... well, basically we're talking about a GUI, a simple input interface, and a lookup array with the text entries. You type in a number, and it grabs the corresponding text and displays it. Not exactly world-class complexity here. I haven't done app development, but I have worked with other sorts of code -- seems to me like someone who knew what they were doing could knock out a bare-bones version of this overnight. (The bulk of the effort would be doing some reformatting on the Captain's Booke to provide that lookup array.) Longer if they included pretty graphics, but I would imagine a lot of that could be taken from material already created for the game. And I imagine they could charge a few bucks for the app, if they felt the need to.

Maybe I'm underestimating it somehow, but I think it's probably a fairly small task, assuming you already have a soft copy of the text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
It would be relatively easy and things like it exist for other similar story types of things.
I wouldn't be worried about random people spoiler things without having the game, though. When would you encounter such spoilers accept on BGG and you should be watching out for spoilers anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not only do such apps exist for other games, such apps exist for other PlaidHat games. What you're describing is very similar to the Dead of Winter Crossroads app.

Just retheme it for SeaFall, make it so you can select entries rather then being random, and you're done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EdHaag wrote:
Not only do such apps exist for other games, such apps exist for other PlaidHat games. What you're describing is very similar to the Dead of Winter Crossroads app.

Just retheme it for SeaFall, make it so you can select entries rather then being random, and you're done.

Making it random could be good, too. You could just have the symbols showing on the app, and when you tap one it selects a random entry of that type (and says which one so you can cross it off). If the game does end up with decent replay value, then this would prevent you from picking numbers you remember having good stuff. A more elaborate version of the app might keep track of which entries your group has already used up, and store that information remotely (with a game ID so you can access it via any of the player's phones). But even the basic version without these bells and whistles would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
EdHaag wrote:

Actually, after thinking about it for a few minutes, I realized you could do way better then that.

How about an app that just shows you the different exploration icons? When someone explores, you tap the appropriate icon, and the app randomly selects one of those entries that you haven't seen yet.

For this to work, the app would, of course, have to save the state of what entries have been read for the duration of the campaign. And there should still be a way to both tell it what entries have been seen so far, and get that info out of the app, just in case you want to switch to or from the actual book.

Once an entry has been selected, it does the whole dead of winter app thing, where it gives you the situation and what your choices are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Becq wrote:
It might be hard NOT to accidentally catch a word or two in the next paragraph. Did you manage to avoid seeing any of it?

Not only did I not manage to avoid seeing it...I actually read your entry #1074 BEFORE reading the one I was supposed to. Whoops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EdHaag wrote:
EdHaag wrote:

Actually, after thinking about it for a few minutes, I realized you could do way better then that.

How about an app that just shows you the different exploration icons? When someone explores, you tap the appropriate icon, and the app randomly selects one of those entries that you haven't seen yet.

For this to work, the app would, of course, have to save the state of what entries have been read for the duration of the campaign. And there should still be a way to both tell it what entries have been seen so far, and get that info out of the app, just in case you want to switch to or from the actual book.

Once an entry has been selected, it does the whole dead of winter app thing, where it gives you the situation and what your choices are.

See my ninja post a full three minutes before yours...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
much0gust0 wrote:
Becq wrote:

Not only did I not manage to avoid seeing it...I actually read your entry #1074 BEFORE reading the one I was supposed to. Whoops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've taken to avoiding Seafall threads altogether, to avoid spoilers.

That's how I protect myself from knowing about Atlantis and its treasures, or making a deal with the devil.

(someone right now is pissed at being "spoiled" by stuff I just now made up)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.