Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great time last night playing Cataclysm and I wanted to share some perspectives. I have always been a fan of alternate history wargames. What I particularly like about Cataclysm is it goes beyond Europe and integrates the Pacific into a beautiful portrait of the period.

I was the combined Italy/Japan player coordinating with Chris playing Germany. Early on I decided to focus the Japanese on China and eschew giving the US/UK Democracies a chance to pick a fight with me. I maintained the Washington Treaty and built up the army with armor upgrades relying on the treaty to keep the Pacific quiet while the IJA conquered China.

In the Mediterranean I used the Italian forces to expand into the Balkans (Albania and Greece), while the Germans did their usual grab for diplomatic control in Eastern Europe and Scandinavia.

The Axis then entered into the tripartite treaty giving the three countries combined leverage against Democratic and Communist moves to stop the Axis successes. As the clock reached 39/40, the Western Allies started WWII by launching a carrier strike on the German submarine forces.

We will conclude next week, but what a great time.

The game currently needs something like 30 orders to 'make the cut' at GMT, so I hope anyone interested in a game that creates a great narrative of WWII should get onboard. You will be happy you did.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a backer as well as a fan of your designs thanks for posting as well as encouraging the P500.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
C'mon guys, if 30 posts by me about how great Cataclysm is got us 30 pre-orders, surely ONE from Mark Herman can bring in another 100!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in that same game as Mark (playing France/United States) and I always think it's a good sign about a game when you spend the entire subway ride home thinking about the game and what you plan to do at the next session.

One pitfall that Cataclysm manages to avoid is that it's very interactive; even when you don't have anything specific to do it keeps you engaged with what the other players are doing and you never know when one of your chits will get pulled from the cup and you have to make a decision. Good stuff ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Haynam

Jacksonville
Florida
msg tools
Ordered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night the group played the rest of 1940 through the next two turns, ending with 1944.

Germany had left a couple armies in Ruhr but no air. French tanks rolled in and the German defense was a disaster. Then Weygand let the Brits take over - they briefly occupy Berlin, but German counterattacks push the Allies back to the Rhine. Outnumbered on land and in the air, the Germans pound the frontier with three offensives but come up empty-handed.

Stalin seizes unoccupied Poland and declares war by taking Romania as well. They mop up Eastern Germany and end up in Berlin by 1944. Hitler still holds his Bavarian redoubt and some Balkan allies but little else.

After the Italian fleet closed down the Med in 1942, the British navy methodically hunts them down and annihilates them over a year-long campaign. Landings are attempt in the boot of Italy, but strong counterattacks push them into the sea. Italy briefly occupies Provence but is forced out.

FDR joins the Franco-British alliance, lands reserves in France, and sets up a thin blockade of Japan. Japan sweeps the subs out of the East China Sea, but the main fleet is whittled down to just a few capital ships over several naval campaigns around Formosa and Okinawa.

Japan still holds most of China, they chased Mao into the hinterlands and exterminated his Communists. Border skirmishes with the Soviets have attrited Japanese forces and things could go bad quickly.

The Allies are poised to invade both Japan and Italy, but the campaigns could be grueling. The German government is ready to collapse, which would likely lead to surrender. It is possible but unlikely that the Axis could survive the final turn (1945-46) but almost anything can happen in CATACLYSM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
20 orders to go, people! Let's push this bad boy over the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sixteen to go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Anything can happen in Cataclysm"

That's damn right. Italy was the one that started WW2 in one of our games. And in other game the Americans "Pacific First" Strategy included picking off every neutral country on their way to China, where they finally picked a fight with the Japanese in Korea. And one game where the French & British governments collapsed, making an uncomfortable situation where the Americans had to get out of Britain. Leaving the Americans no jumping off point to confront Germany.

So damn much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Six to go!

Bill will be around shortly to post the dramatic conclusion to this sort-of AAR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JR posted the final act of this Cataclysm session on his blog. Check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.