Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing of Treasure Cards before combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I allowed to play Treasure Cards like Invisibility, Teleportation, Magic Swap or Banish at the beginning of a combat?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala!!!!!!!

This game is not out yet....It will be delivered in November...
soblue

Sorry, carry on!
whistle
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:

Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala!!!!!!!

This game is not out yet....It will be delivered in November...
soblue

Sorry, carry on!
whistle

Did it ever occur to you that this is a fellow gamer who's obviously excited about the same game as you?

Legit question. I'm just as interested as knowing more about the game as well. CMON has gone strangely quiet on the Masmorra front...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Williams
United States
Mastic
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
bigblock75 wrote:

Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala!!!!!!!

This game is not out yet....It will be delivered in November...
soblue

Sorry, carry on!
whistle

Did it ever occur to you that this is a fellow gamer who's obviously excited about the same game as you?

Legit question. I'm just as interested as knowing more about the game as well. CMON has gone strangely quiet on the Masmorra front...


Right on!

It's a very legit question seeing how some people already own a copy because it was sold at Gen Con. Also I wish someone would do a open box or review video.

As for your question Andrew I'm sorry I can't help you out because I don't my copy of the game yet...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From the online rulebook, page 21.

Playing Treasure Cards
You can play a Treasure Card to gain the benefit shown in the purple part of the card at any point during your turn. Resolve the effect described, then discard the card.
You can play a Treasure Card for the interrupt effect (orange) at any time during the game, but only if you fulfill any requirements listed on the card. After resolving the effects, discard the card.
If more than one interrupt effect is played in response to the same trigger, the effects are resolved backwards—the last card played is the first to take effect.
If the Treasure deck runs out, re-shuffle the discard pile and form a new draw deck.



Hope that helps!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:

Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala!!!!!!!

This game is not out yet....It will be delivered in November...
soblue

Sorry, carry on!
whistle

Actually the game was being sold at GenCon, so it is already out. I agree with Jason Brown though that it is likely that this is someone who is just excited for the game and is reading through the rules ahead of time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
From the online rulebook, page 21.

Playing Treasure Cards
You can play a Treasure Card to gain the benefit shown in the purple part of the card at any point during your turn. Resolve the effect described, then discard the card.
You can play a Treasure Card for the interrupt effect (orange) at any time during the game, but only if you fulfill any requirements listed on the card. After resolving the effects, discard the card.
If more than one interrupt effect is played in response to the same trigger, the effects are resolved backwards—the last card played is the first to take effect.
If the Treasure deck runs out, re-shuffle the discard pile and form a new draw deck.


I'm leaning more towards you can play those cards to get out of a fight. Or at least, technically enter the "fight" and legally avoid "combat". Page 11 says, "Treasure Cards and abilities can only be used before or after combat, unless the card generates a symbol that can be used during the fight." I still wouldn't be surprised if the official ruling is that you can't. The rule book uses "combat" and "fight", but I don't know if they're interchangeable. You could be sneaky and pick up an XP for exploring a medium sized room, but teleport away before the combat.

Sorry to all for causing any pre-release anxiety! I was extremely lucky to a) be able to go to Gencon for the first time and b) win this game at the Secret Cabal meetup. It's really good, and I'm already wishing I could get all of the arm loads of extras that you guys and gals are gonna get with the Kickstarter.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pieforteeth wrote:


Sorry to all for causing any pre-release anxiety! I was extremely lucky to a) be able to go to Gencon for the first time and b) win this game at the Secret Cabal meetup. It's really good, and I'm already wishing I could get all of the arm loads of extras that you guys and gals are gonna get with the Kickstarter.


What an awesome way to get a copy! That will be a memory for sure . Now I'm jealous for two reasons.

You'll need to let us know how it is after a few plays, even just a few quick sentences if you don't mind.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pieforteeth wrote:

Sorry to all for causing any pre-release anxiety! I was extremely lucky to a) be able to go to Gencon for the first time and b) win this game at the Secret Cabal meetup. It's really good, and I'm already wishing I could get all of the arm loads of extras that you guys and gals are gonna get with the Kickstarter.


Congratulations on winning a copy. It was sooooooo very hard for me to not buy another copy of this game while I was at Gencon.

Sorry, I was just giving you a hard time(which is why I ended my remark by apologizing and asking for the conversation to "carry on").

If you want to list the card text and color(purple/orange) associated with the ability, I/we can try to help you out.

Otherwise, Thiago will most likely come around and answer your question sooner or later.

Good luck, hope you enjoy the game.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Matheus
Brazil
Juiz de Fora
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"You could be sneaky and pick up an XP for exploring a medium sized room, but teleport away before the combat."

Yes, you can do that.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PMatheus wrote:
"You could be sneaky and pick up an XP for exploring a medium sized room, but teleport away before the combat."

Yes, you can do that.


Looks like I was mistaken about getting an answer from Thiago.

Looks like the original designers will be helping us out with the rules for this one!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Matheus
Brazil
Juiz de Fora
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just trying to help.

CMON will have final word since they did some changes to improve the original design. Althought I know some of then, don't have the final version of the rules with me yet.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PMatheus wrote:
I'm just trying to help.

CMON will have final word since they did some changes to improve the original design. Althought I know some of then, don't have the final version of the rules with me yet.


I think this may be the final rulebook here: https://cmon.com/#/product/masmorra-dungeons-of-arcadia/masm...

Thanks for helping out, I'm very anxious to receive this game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I wouldn't want to get into competitive Magic levels of card timing rules, but it makes a big difference in some instances. Pro tip: don't start your turn with only one life and in the same or adjacent room as the other players.

Friend: Hey, before you roll, I play this card that says "play at any time". It steals a life from you. Looks like you're dead.
Me: I think I lose my whole turn?
Friend: Yeah.
Me: You suck.

We looked it up in the rules, and it says "at any time during the game" so that's what we did.

I guess you should always ask players if they want to play a card so you don't get the whole "If I had known you were going to XYZ, I would have played my card!" situations.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Stål
Sweden
Örebro
ÖREBRO
flag msg tools
For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
badge
Ram it down!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Has this one gotten resolved in any FAQ? Played it today and this being one of the most discussed rules around our table. 50% felt that combat triggered immediately when you started your turn in a room with monster and you didn't have the time for a banish/invisibility/etc. And in combat you could only be playing cards that gives you combat symbols. The other 50% felt that the card could be played before combat would trigger, as in a "pre-combat phase" between start of turn and actually resolving combat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steelman wrote:
Has this one gotten resolved in any FAQ? Played it today and this being one of the most discussed rules around our table. 50% felt that combat triggered immediately when you started your turn in a room with monster and you didn't have the time for a banish/invisibility/etc. And in combat you could only be playing cards that gives you combat symbols. The other 50% felt that the card could be played before combat would trigger, as in a "pre-combat phase" between start of turn and actually resolving combat.

Combat, or starting combat, is an Action. You decide when to initiate your actions. You can do other actions before you do a combat action, although the list of available actions before combat is limited.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.