Subject: Thoughts before getting the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had some spare time these past few weeks and I managed to see all 4 Alien movies. I know this is anathema for many, but I quite enjoyed all of them. Actually, and don't judge me too harsh for this, I enjoyed quite a lot Alien Resurrection. While I can easily tell that the first movie is superior in storytelling and many other points, I do not consider it as fun to watch as the others. I did not feel too attached to any of Nostromo's crew, and it took Aliens to make me care about Ripley at all. I'd rank the Alien movies as follows (the main criterion being how much I enjoyed them, not how good of a movie they are): Aliens, Alien Resurrection, Alien 3, Alien. The Alien Resurrection characters are my favorites! I'm glad to see that the most likeable of them are available as playable characters too!

I will soon get the game (waiting for Civil War to reach my country so that I'll order them together) and I'm already excited!
My girlfriend has not seen any of the Aliens movies yet. She is a huge Marvel Legendary fan, but she is familiar with most characters and storylines, so I'm curious to see whether this will have any impact on her appreciation of the Aliens set.

Things I'm most excited about:
seeing how difficult the game is; one complaint I always have against Marvel Legendary is that, despite some really tough combinations, most of the masterminds are weaklings; since here are no masterminds, and it's all in the setup, I'm curious to see how challenging it is for 2 players;
Playing with an all-Ripley deck. Also, Call and Hicks are my 2 other favorite characters from the movies, so I'm looking forward to using them as well.
Seeing how replayable it is. I'll just play once or twice every movie scenario, then it will be randomizing time!
I'm also very excited for that wonderful mat! I love the Villains mat and it stood well the test of time (granted, it's not been very long since I got it, almost 1 year, but I used it quite a lot - I don't use the heroic set board anymore).
I'm hoping that the gruesome artwork won't give me nightmares! I'm most worried about the Newborn card, though it cannot be as bad as it was in the movie gulp.

I'll return in a couple of weeks or so with a review. Until then, have fun playing this game!

P.S.: Congratulations on Upper Deck for making me cultivate an expensive taste! I've only watched the Aliens movies in order to convince myself to get the Aliens game. I'll probably watch the Predator movies soon...but at the moment I have no time for that. I guess I have to be thankful that the Firefly artwork is so terrible that I do not have to watch that series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the game.

I'm only really posting to point out that you have obviously put Alien in the wrong place in your list. Objectively it is, without any doubt the best of the 4 films. I suggest that is evident from the casting, the script, the direction, the cinematography and frankly everything else about the movie.

You are, of course, entitled to a different opinion! Wrong though it might be

Enjoy the game - I love it, and Resurrection plays particularly well, since it plays a bit differently to the other movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Alien is the best movie, if we are to judge it objectively. But, as I'm not a movie aficionado, I cannot assess it objectively - I enjoyed it the least, as my appreciation stems mostly from how much I like the characters depicted on screen, and from how much I care about their fates. The other movies (except Aliens 2) are much weaker, and even I, as a non-expert, can tell that. However, I found them more entertaining, and I also found the characters more enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope my big " " made it clear that I was not insisting on my view. It's all about taste, and you are entitled to your own. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been a long time fan of the movie franchise with Alien being one of my all time favourite films. Loved Aliens and genuinely have time for the extended version of Alien 3. For me Resurrection was nothing more than mildly entertaining eye popcorn. All opinion of course and not gospel. Was again mildly piqued by Prometheus, but looking forward to Alien Covenant and hoping it goes back to the Alien(s)vibe of genuine creeping dread.

Game wise I tend to play solitaire with a pronounced focus on historical, political and war games....but my love for this film franchise always put me on the look out. Whilst I own many GMT card driven games the only other one that I have ever owned that is totally card based is GMTs The Kaiser's Pirates; it is a game I enjoy but again the purchase was totally driven by my historical areas of interest. That was until I came across the LE Alien DBG via this site. On first perusal theme wise I was totally in, game play wise I was less than convinced.

After an on-line look at the components which reflect well on this franchise from a fan base, I was prepared to take a lazy fan based punt. I was correct to do so as this plays really well, both in theme and game play, and genuinely offers continued challenge and decision making.

Not my type of game to be honest, but love what this system offers way beyond my simple theme interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 piece of advice, instead of using the rules for adding the drone cards from the rulebook use the predator rules.

Young Blood is the same as Drones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I also really enjoy Marvel Legendary, so when I found Aliens for half off it was a no-brainer. You'll appreciate the subtle changes to the Legendary format, I think. Avatars with special abilities, coordinating to activate powers, wounds that ACTUALLY hurt you, hidden information, objectives, and escalating difficulty are some of my favorite additions. It's hard to go back to Marvel now, but I do still love it.

Oh and yes, this game can be brutal. You'll be right at home and probably quite successful due to your Marvel experience, but this game can throw in some nasty twists just when you start feeling confident!

Anyway, I know you're quite active in the Marvel Legendary community, so I'm anxious to hear about your thoughts and experience with Alien. Come back and let us know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
I will soon get the game (waiting for Civil War to reach my country so that I'll order them together) and I'm already excited!

Will you also wait for the Alien expansion or will you wait to buy it with the Deadpool expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wickens
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have predators which is very similar to alien and do not see the replayability in terms of mixing and matching the decks as working all that well. What lifts legendary encounters above other deck builders is the story asnd once you mix up the story elements too muchmuch something is lost. I am happy to mix up the hero's a bit e.g. put characters from one movie in another but that is it. Still getting 4 mini games with a decent amount of replay ability in each with added replayability from mixing up the hero decks gives this a decent amount of replayability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took me a while, but I'm finally getting the game on Wednesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

Have fun sorting the cards! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burningecho wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

Have fun sorting the cards! whistle

I had. 30 minutes for such an awesome game seems a reasonable experience.

I'm also glad to report that no card is missing. I don't know if this is important, but I've had the print with 7 larger boxes inside, not the one with 10-11 smaller ones. Granted, the cards were not shrinkwrapped so a couple of them got a bit chipped (Fortunately, most of them were blank cards), but everything else looks fine.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get the chance to actually play the game.

One question though - is it just me or the cardboard of the box is damaging the cards? it seems really rugged...but maybe i'm just paranoid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No doubt the inside of that box is not pretty and that cardboard is rough. I sleeved my set soon after buying, so I can't speak about the box damaging the cards.

Also, glad to know I'm not the only one that enjoys organizing and sorting a new game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.