$35.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bottom Action Question - Do I have to take the action (not the coins) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Clark
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I take the bottom action, after I pay the cost, do I have to take the first benefit (not the coins), i.e. build a building?

I needed to take the top row action, had the resources to take the bottom row action to claim the coins, but I did not have a worker in an optimal location for the end-game territory scoring tile (buildings adjacent to encounter territories). Do I have to build a building (or upgrade, enlist, build a mech) when taking the bottom row action if it is available.

I recognize this is probably a really inefficient move, but it was the predicament I was in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No you do not have to take it. Any benefit that is in a green box can be declined. If you do/gain something that would give you a star and you still have stars to place you may not decline placing a star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are never forced to take any of the rewards when you pay the associated cost for the action. All rewards are always optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 10 of the rules:
Quote:
n. When taking an action, first pay the cost, then gain the benefit (or only part of the benefit, in the rare case where your strategy depends on a partial benefit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be aware that if you pay the cost for an upgrade/build/enlist/deploy action, even if you don't use it to upgrade/build/enlist/deploy something, everyone who is entitled still may (optionally) gain the recruitment bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
Page 10 of the rules:
Quote:
n. When taking an action, first pay the cost, then gain the benefit (or only part of the benefit, in the rare case where your strategy depends on a partial benefit).

Yeah to Nico, for using/citing the rulebook!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Using rule books is a rare and elusive skill amongst bgg users
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao C L Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
Page 10 of the rules:
Quote:

Damn, couldn't find this anywhere when i didn't have mech to build but i wanted to take the 3 coins from it so i didn't do it

PS: it was the 1st game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.