1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a new rpg rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chad coltri
msg tools
Ok so....me and my group are looking for a new
Rpg....yea yea we've all played dnd and pathfinder but we need something new. Theme isn't a big deal as long as it's fun. We've looked at fate, iron kingdoms, 13th age, call of Cthulhu and some others. Looking for something that has a bit of freedom to story and character development. A few guys are very very very new to rpg and only played a few games of pathfinder but the rest of us just need something new. Any info and why would be great. As always thanks!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to post this in the RPG forum rather than the Board Game forum. There is a separate tab on the menu bar at the top of the page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Call of Cthulhu rpg is very open to play and character development.

The one drawback that could happen with it is that your character tends to weaken as you keep playing them as they lose sanity and luck faster then they get it back.

The themes can be very disturbing but if that bothers you you can always edit some of the things that happen.

I really like it due to the simplicity of the system. It is all percentiles and not very combat heavy so much more role playing instead of hack and slash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...
mbmbmbmbmb
Call of Cthulhu is sweet.

Another RPG I'd recommend checking out is Through The Breach. It's based on the Malifaux tabletop game and uses a deck of cards instead of dice. Really neat system and setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call Of Cthulhu is a lot of fun and pretty easy to learn/play. A good intro scenario to run is "The Haunting", which I believe is in the quick start rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An RPG that I have enjoyed is ...

Warhammer Fantasy RPG ... Uses an interesting dice set with various symbols and functions and has an impressive and interesting set of character types to play (including a rat catcher which I enjoyed playing a great deal) and allows for varied decisions as to how to advance the character. It is, I believe oop but can still be found at game stores. Maybe my favorite RPG after Pathfinder.

Good luck with your quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call of cthulhu is very good and very story based. Your characters tend to be average folk in way over their heads, so death and insanity are common. It also is best with a gm that is into the lore and can build good stories.

World of Darkness game, like Werewolf: The Forsaken, Vampire: The Requiem Rulebook or Mage: The Awakening are all about personal stories and inner darkness compared to the outer horrors of the Mythos.

Some honorable mentions; Fate is a great game that gives each player some control on the overall story, Savage worlds is a high action game that have an overabundance of setting books you can use with the core rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it in decades, but I always like the simplicity and versatility of GURPS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should take a closer look at Monster of the Week and/or Dungeon World. Both use a similar set of core mechanics. Dungeon World spins the game with much more overt D&D trappings (classes, hit points, etc.), which may work for your group if that's what they like. Personally, I prefer Monster of the Week over it because it streamlines the system to an almost beautiful level.

The design of the game is intended to give more freedom of creativity to the players and to focus on how their actions drive the story forward. It's very easy to teach and to play. All a player needs is 2 six-sided dice.

Personally, I think it does what the FATE RPGs try to do but with less mess. There's nothing wrong with the FATE system objectively, of course, but I've just always found it to be more cluttered with rules and exceptions than it should be for what it was trying to do. If you're intrigued by the ideas of FATE, check out MotW or DW for sure. It's probably my favorite RPG on the market right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
I haven't played it in decades, but I always like the simplicity and versatility of GURPS.

I've never heard GURPS described as "simple" before. "Versatile", certainly, but not "simple".

The core mechanics are pretty straight-forward, I suppose. It's really character creation that gets meticulous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Me and my friend are newcomers to RPGs, I've just turned 34 and feel like I've only just discovered the experience I was looking for all those years ago when I began collecting Games Workshop games.

We were lucky enough to be invited into a group when we walked into our local FLGS carrying the Edge of the Empire (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-edg...) core rulebook. We now have a group and have had 2 sessions, one creating characters and one first mission. It's been a blast so far, and the dice mechanics are awesome. As I understand it a lot of RPGs use a D20 and that's it, Edge of the Empire uses dice pools which as a board gamer I'm totally on board with (no pun intended). This is basically the Star Wars equivalent of Firefly, in which you can be any number of aliens from the outer rim making a living in all sorts of ways. It has a lot of support from FFG, and there's a beginner set to get you started. It also has three other 'versions' out there now, all of which can be mixed and matched: 'Age of Rebellion', 'Force and Destiny' and the very new 'The Force Awakens RPG'.

I have also heard about The End of the World (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/the-end-of-th...) being very good. I've just discovered this is FFG as well, which for me is good news as they seem to support their systems very well. It sounds hilariously fun, you basically play yourself in one of four different situations, alien attack, zombie attack, robot attack or trapped in a battle of the Gods. It's all about how you would deal with living in that situation. I REALLY hope to play this one in the future.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...
mbmbmbmbmb
Edge of the Empire is really cool, but I think it flourishes best with a GM who can improvise on the fly. The dice lend themselves to a lot of improvisation. If you've got a GM who is good at that sort of thing, and you like Star Wars, I'd definitely check that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Wardlow
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group has played MANY RPG Systems - D&D, Tunnels & Trolls, GURPS, FATE, Hollow Earth, d20, to name a few.
We finally settled on Savage Worlds. It is simple, easy to create a character, allows for multiple genres - we alternate GM's and play modern SWAT, Firefly, Fantasy, and Scanners. It also works with Super Heroes, Horror, and Comic-style.
Before you try all these others, the Savage Worlds Core Book is only $20. Give it a try. We LOVE it!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Edge of the Empire is really cool, but I think it flourishes best with a GM who can improvise on the fly. The dice lend themselves to a lot of improvisation. If you've got a GM who is good at that sort of thing, and you like Star Wars, I'd definitely check that out.

Also, the FFG gameplay goes slowly for several sessions while players learn the crazy dice symbol interactions. I would definitely prefer Dungeon World or Apocalypse World, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
Also, the FFG gameplay goes slowly for several sessions while players learn the crazy dice symbol interactions. I would definitely prefer Dungeon World or Apocalypse World, etc.

I feel the same way. I liked a lot of the ideas behind the FFG Star Wars RPGs but the actual experience at the table often feels overwrought for what it's trying to accomplish. The idea is to infuse more story elements and player-proactivity into each game session. If the ultimate goal is to do that though, I think you'd do much better playing Monster of the Week/Dungeon World/Apocalypse World, which does it with a much cleaner and less "fidgety" system.

Even FATE sometimes feels like reaching around your elbow to scratch your ass.

All just personal experience and opinion, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
Also, the FFG gameplay goes slowly for several sessions while players learn the crazy dice symbol interactions.
Several sessions?
I think, everyone in our group had grasped how to interpret the dice results while playing the introductory scenario. The only thing we weren't quite sure about was the 'balance of the force' thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true, unless you play with a newbie each time because you were playing a one-shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
For those very very very new players, maybe a few sessions of Fiasco would be a good way to go. All storytelling one-shots with no GM and just a few rules. It's very entertaining and liberating.

Once you have a few games down, move on to something more meaty. There are plenty of good RPGs out there, but for interesting stories and characters... Hmmm... Maybe Deadlands: Reloaded? Savage Worlds is a good system, and the setting is familiar, but not. Characters are as weird as you want them to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hayward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars by FFG is pretty cool and freeform. It has masses of character development options and is very narrative, rather than tactical.

It does use custom dice- I find these very fun but they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Nelson
United States
Oxford
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something that is D and D or Pathfinder like or just a great rpg I have to suggest Dungeon Crawl Classics. It is an old school style dungeon crawl game with a couple of very unique and awesome concepts behind it. The first is randomness. Instead of making the game surprising thought complexity the game uses randomness to make thing new. Since the heart of any adventure is not knowing what is going to happen next, or travelling through the unknown Dungeon Crawl Classics (DCC from here on out) uses lots of random elements to spice up the gameplay and keep players guessing about what is going to happen next. Magic can misfire and corrupt the person using it. Warriors have might deeds that vary up their attacks etc. Also character creation is awesome. Instead of creating one powerful character picked and designed by the player, each person in the game will create four level 0 characters where every stat and piece of equipment is the result of a random roll. The results of this randomization are characters that are not very powerful, along with some ones with a lot of potential and other with very little. You will then take them on an adventure where most of them will die, the ones that survive will power up and the end result is players are very attached to those characters who have made it all the way through. It is not a game for everyone, but if you like a bit of silliness in your game along with fantasy this is a great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Shadows Of Brimstone has been getting a lot of love since it came out- and
it appears to only be getting better.

And that weird Cowboy/Cthulhu theme is pretty unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or ,you could do 1st/ 2ND edition D&D spinoffs, like Wolf-Packs and Winter Snow. It has some D&D 1st edition rules, some new rules, and is set in cave man times. The wildest part is the resource management rules required to keep your clan alive. This also automatically generates motivation to adventure. Kill the wooly mammoth! Feed your clan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or ,you could do 1st/ 2ND edition D&D spinoffs, like Wolf-Packs and Winter Snow. It has some D&D 1st edition rules, some new rules, and is set in cave man times. The wildest part is the resource management rules required to keep your clan alive. This also automatically generates motivation to adventure. Kill the wooly mammoth! Feed your clan!

Or, White Star: 1st edition AD&D rules crossed with Star Wars, Star Trek, and other space tropes. The extra bonus here is that OSR / 1st edition stuff is super easy to find online without stat conversions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Major
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd look on the side of the Cypher System if I were you (including Numenera and/or The Strange).

Really interesting stuff, fits pretty well what you're looking for IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Dungeon Crawl Classics.
I really can't say enough about this thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.