Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a million variants of the game Love Letter

Ok, maybe not, but there are a lot. I've played a few, and honestly, I've typically been happy with the original. Now I haven't played Love Letter: Batman, and I hear its really good, but in general, its pretty much the same game, with different cards, and slightly different rules.

and if you play Archer: Once you go blackmail you shouldn't expect anything different. It's the Love Letter mechanics, with some minor modifications, with an Archer oriented theme.

If you're not a fan of the TV show Archer, honestly, you won't get much out of this game, you aren't the target audience. This game is targeted towards those people (and I'm one of them) who will mainline episode after episode of Archer, even the ones we've seen several dozen times.

That being said, lets talk about the game.

The Art
The artwork here, is incredibly consistent with the characters in the show, and the cards themselves have artwork that just "feels" like the TV show (I don't know how to explain it). When you're talking about a licensed product, its incredibly important to get the art right. Take for example the upcoming release of Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game, where the art, honestly, looks nothing like the characters from the popular TV show or movie.

Now there is an advantage here, the TV show Archer is a cartoon, so the art is easy, its already there.

That being said, I love the art. Whenever I drew a card, I thought of that character, and how twisted they were (there are no normal characters in this show).

The scoring tokens are little dolphin puppets. Again, if you watch the TV show, you'll be amused, otherwise, they are just scoring tokens.

The Mechanics

The mechanics for this game are very similar to Love Letter. Draw a card, discard a card, follow the instructions.

In both the original and this version, after you've dealt everyone a card you discard one. In Love Letter its not important, in Archer, this is the hidden identity card, and can actually come back into play.

The cards themselves are ranked 1-8 and your "primary" objective is to end up with the highest numbered card while eliminating other players.

Some of the cards abilities are the same:

8 - Mallory Archer
5 - Pam Poovey
3- Cyril Figgis
1 - Archer

These all act just like Love letter, now lets look at the ones that are different:

7 - Lana Kane - Here you collect everyone's card and the hidden identity card, shuffle them and deal them out.

6- Ray Gillette - This card allows you to force another player to swap their card and the hidden identity card

4 - Cheryl/Carol Tunt has the protection ability from the original or you can use it to look at the hidden identity card.

2 - Dr. Krieger - If you guess the hidden Identity card, you win the round.

So 1/2 the cards have new, or slightly differing capabilities. I found that really cool.

The Theme

The Theme is pasted on, accept it. If you are expecting the mechanics to be deeply tied to some uber Archer Plot, look somewhere else, that isn't the point. The point is to just have a good time and revel in the memories of the TV show while you play the game.

Playing the Game

It's easy to learn, its fast to play, and its Love Letter with a theme. The nice thing is (depending upon how you look at it) there aren't any adult themes in the game, unless you know the characters. You could play this game with kids, maybe, and it would be ok. There are some quotes at the bottom of the cards that aren't particular kid friendly (depending upon your kid.) like

Quote:
Ha Ha, yeah we're the idiots, says the genius who got a hooker pregnant

Ok, I take it back, there are some elements not related to the mechanics or plot that are not kid friendly, and maybe even NSFW.

So, I give this a Sploosh.

Its worth owning, even if you own the original Love Letter, Batman Love Letter, and all the other variants. and if you don't, you know, this is a really good place to start.

Available in velvet bag and clamshell additions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ragaert
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Once you go Blackmail....nope, I probably won't go back.
Immediately ordered the Geekstore copy from the Belgian seller upon reading this review. I need this game in my life!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an amazing edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mohnkern wrote:

It takes a man secure in his masculinity to give a game a sploosh.

Great review. This will be a stocking stuffer for sure this Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SilentCat wrote:
mohnkern wrote:

Or whatever a man does, which I guess would be sploosh, but with semen. Thank you Ray Gillette.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SilentCat wrote:
mohnkern wrote:

Be sure to order now, they are only doing one print run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Will do. This definitely has to be in my daughter and son-in-law's Christmas stocking this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Archer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Who looks at the Hidden Identity card to check? I'm assuming the player that played Dr. Krieger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwerk wrote:
Quote:

Who looks at the Hidden Identity card to check? I'm assuming the player that played Dr. Krieger?

The Krieger card has you guess a card, look at the hidden identity card and then if you guessed right, you win the round.

(so the answer is yes, but with more stuff)

Ray Gillette lets you force another player to swap their card with the hidden identity card.

An interesting question came up was if someone plays Ray Gillette on someone who is holding Mallory Archer (the 8), that player takes Mallory, swaps it with the hidden identity card.

Does this count as a discard and they lose?

We concluded no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clements

Dallas
Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game blows...
["phrasing"}
...the other versions away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.